• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SAF tells Conn. school district to stop blocking pro-gun websites

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The Second Amendment Foundation is vowing “prompt legal action” following reports yesterday that a Connecticut school district’s filtering system was blocking access to websites belonging to firearms rights advocacy groups, while allowing access to gun control organizations in what appears to be a clear violation of the First Amendment.

In a blunt letter to Superintendent Jody Ian Goeler at Connecticut’s Regional School District 14, SAF General Counsel Miko Tempski warned, “Once a school chooses to provide internet access, the First Amendment prohibits it from selectively censoring access to websites based on their particular viewpoints.”

http://www.examiner.com/article/saf...-pro-gun-websites?CID=examiner_alerts_article

davidmcbeth

Banned
I noted this the other day .... a FOIA request will be provided to them to see if they stupidly reduced the policy down on paper....

Update:

Called school, filed request for records via verbal request
School said they are v. busy dealing with this issue.
School said ISP provided just general categories of items to block
School cited Child Protective Act (fed or state?) as reason for blocking some websites
School said that some sites were unblocked via teacher or student request (form produced ~ ie record will be made available)

Last edited: