Thread: Motorcycle Carry

Motorcycle Carry

Me and a few friends will be traveling to Ohio via Motorcycles our route will take us from Charlotte,NC throught Virginia then West Virginia we are looking for some insight on carrying while on a motorcycle? 1 of our travelers doesn't have a holster but we will be traveling with luggage etc. Any suggestions and insight would be great thanks.

Perhaps you can differentiate between 'carry' and 'transport'. For Transport, gun unloaded in one saddle bag, (in a secured container (perhaps locked?)). Ammo secured in the other saddle bag, (in a secured container (perhaps locked)). Pretty sure you'd want to lock your saddle bags anyway. (I think this is per the Federal Transport Regs.)

For Carry. Open Carry or Concealed Carry?

Thanks,
    Jim.

There are probably others here who can better answer, and/or correct me if I am wrong.

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by jwaldo View Post
    Perhaps you can differentiate between 'carry' and 'transport'. For Transport, gun unloaded in one saddle bag, (in a secured container (perhaps locked?)). Ammo secured in the other saddle bag, (in a secured container (perhaps locked)). Pretty sure you'd want to lock your saddle bags anyway. (I think this is per the Federal Transport Regs.)

For Carry. Open Carry or Concealed Carry?

Thanks,
    Jim.

There are probably others here who can better answer, and/or correct me if I am wrong.
    No requirement to separate ammo and firearm to different containers, simply no ammo in gun and no magazine in gun. Perfectly legal per Federal Gun Transport act per my understanding! Last time I carried this way was in the PRK with locked case on floorboard of car behind driver seat with my wife in the passenger front seat and her dementia altered mother in the passenger rear seat. Even had the opportunity to augment the local schools funding a bit.
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Once you arrive in Ohio be aware that without a concealed handgun license recognized by the state you will need to transport your handguns unloaded and properly stored. Stop over in the Ohio forum for a discussion what "unloaded and properly stored" means. It differs from most other states.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Here's exception #10 which says you don't need a concealed handgun permit in Virginia if you meet these conditions:

"10. Any person who may lawfully possess a firearm and is carrying a handgun while in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel and such handgun is secured in a container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel;"

A motorcycle is a personal, private motor vehicle, and many of them have containers or compartments that may be secured, which is generally seen as "closed" not "locked".

You might get some insight looking thru this sticky:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...06#post2071006

Here's the VA Code: https://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/leg...0+cod+18.2-308

Have a great trip!