• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Motorcycle Carry

gsxrcarry

Me and a few friends will be traveling to Ohio via Motorcycles our route will take us from Charlotte,NC throught Virginia then West Virginia we are looking for some insight on carrying while on a motorcycle? 1 of our travelers doesn't have a holster but we will be traveling with luggage etc. Any suggestions and insight would be great thanks.

jwaldo

Perhaps you can differentiate between 'carry' and 'transport'. For Transport, gun unloaded in one saddle bag, (in a secured container (perhaps locked?)). Ammo secured in the other saddle bag, (in a secured container (perhaps locked)). Pretty sure you'd want to lock your saddle bags anyway. (I think this is per the Federal Transport Regs.)

For Carry. Open Carry or Concealed Carry?

Thanks,
Jim.

There are probably others here who can better answer, and/or correct me if I am wrong.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Perhaps you can differentiate between 'carry' and 'transport'. For Transport, gun unloaded in one saddle bag, (in a secured container (perhaps locked?)). Ammo secured in the other saddle bag, (in a secured container (perhaps locked)). Pretty sure you'd want to lock your saddle bags anyway. (I think this is per the Federal Transport Regs.)

For Carry. Open Carry or Concealed Carry?

Thanks,
Jim.

There are probably others here who can better answer, and/or correct me if I am wrong.

No requirement to separate ammo and firearm to different containers, simply no ammo in gun and no magazine in gun. Perfectly legal per Federal Gun Transport act per my understanding! Last time I carried this way was in the PRK with locked case on floorboard of car behind driver seat with my wife in the passenger front seat and her dementia altered mother in the passenger rear seat. Even had the opportunity to augment the local schools funding a bit.

JustaShooter

Once you arrive in Ohio be aware that without a concealed handgun license recognized by the state you will need to transport your handguns unloaded and properly stored. Stop over in the Ohio forum for a discussion what "unloaded and properly stored" means. It differs from most other states.

B. Reddy

Here's exception #10 which says you don't need a concealed handgun permit in Virginia if you meet these conditions:

"10. Any person who may lawfully possess a firearm and is carrying a handgun while in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel and such handgun is secured in a container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel;"

A motorcycle is a personal, private motor vehicle, and many of them have containers or compartments that may be secured, which is generally seen as "closed" not "locked".

You might get some insight looking thru this sticky:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-Handgun-Permit)-STICKY&p=2071006#post2071006

Here's the VA Code: https://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

Have a great trip!