Thread: Request to cover

Request to cover

First Post, This is a great forum!! I was sitting at a table at lunch at The lighthouse on the river at Madison yesterday, OC, Had been there for 30 mins having lunch. Waitress came over and apologized but asked me to cover, beuase another patron asked her to ask me to cover. She sais she had a 380 and 9mm at home and was very sorry to have to ask. I obliged and told her I understood she had been put in a bad spot and tipped her well. Stayed another 10 minutes and left as initialy planned. Also when I arrrived I was very obviously OC walks thru the bar and then past 20 folks sitting outside with no issues,, only after sitting for 30mins,,,
    1. I know exactly which patron made the request, but I decided to let it go.
    2. also I was not asked to leave because of a no gun requirement etc.
    3. My main issue or is,, If another citizen asks you to cover up, I don't think we are required to do so, but could be wrong. He oput the waitress in a bad spot. Had I not been in a place of business, Say standing by my bike on the street,, I would have responded differently.
    I often conceal, depending on the place etc,, but in thiscase I OC'f on purpose just to see the climate,, which was acyuallt very good there except for the one person

Thanks for listening,, I'll be offline for a while today,,

I agree that a demand by a citizen is moot. A demand by an agent/proprietor engages trespass, the details are dependent on the jurisdiction.

Good to see you come out. Since 2006 is a long lurk. Welcome.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Nice to see you come out of the dark, Welcome to the conversation.

I have only been told to "cover up" once (not counting my Sweet Baboo) and I did not. I was in a retail drug store and an employee I was not familiar with told me I was upsetting other customers. I asked who they were and he stumbled. I had been going to that shop for ten years and never got anything but praise, this is, after all, Washington State. I thought this was entirely due to his own prejudices. I replied, "No, thank you and finished my shopping.
    Now, YMMV, so each incident must be handled individually. I think you handled it well,Bogey. Your complainer tho, now feels empowered.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

RtC

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    I agree that a demand by a citizen is moot. A demand by an agent/proprietor engages trespass, the details are dependent on the jurisdiction.

Thanks so much!

RtC

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    Nice to see you come out of the dark, Welcome to the conversation.

I have only been told to "cover up" once (not counting my Sweet Baboo) and I did not. I was in a retail drug store and an employee I was not familiar with told me I was upsetting other customers. I asked who they were and he stumbled. I had been going to that shop for ten years and never got anything but praise, this is, after all, Washington State. I thought this was entirely due to his own prejudices. I replied, "No, thank you and finished my shopping.
    Now, YMMV, so each incident must be handled individually. I think you handled it well,Bogey. Your complainer tho, now feels empowered.
    MSG, thanks for the support. I agree the complainer feels empowered, and I really wanted to engage/educate that person, but didn't think the place was the right place to do so.. This really helps me when that next time occurs. off to ride for the day

RtC

Decoding the initialism "RtC" has been fun. Right to Carry seems to fit best.

Our weather has really sucked and appears to for the next few days, so I put the fenders on my ride yesterday. I really need to get back up to 25 miles per day. Ride to eat, eat to ride!
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Your reply? 'A $20 tip to you if you go over there and tell that patron they are welcome to leave if the second amendment bothers them'.

That's a tough one.

I like Maverick's answer.

Or maybe something like "just because you can't see it doesn't mean it isn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post
    Your reply? 'A $20 tip to you if you go over there and tell him I request that he stick his head up his @'.
    That is likely what I would have done.

At breakfast yesterday had an older woman at the table to my left ask if my double mag carrier was a stun-gun holster as she was looking for one for her stun-gun. I pulled out 1 mag to show her and said "No mam, they're spare magazines for the real gun on the other side.

woman> I don't know if that makes feel any better

me> Mam; you were never safer in your own mother's arms

woman> I wonder how the owner feels about it?

me> He's not here right now but I have asked him and he said he openly welcomes open carriers and it's not uncommon to see a few others open carry in here.

She didn't say anything else and continued to sit and talk to her friend over coffee even after they were done with their food so she couldn't have been too bothered.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post
    Your reply? 'A $20 tip to you if you go over there and tell that patron they are welcome to leave if the second amendment bothers them'.
    Outstanding response!

When I lived in Indiana for a bit I OC'd into a local restaurant. I noticed a table with two moms and their kids eating when I walked in. One of the moms gave me a funny look, but the waitress came by and took me to a table away from them. When I was putting in my drink order a waitress came by and asked if I was law enforcement. I told her no I was just open carrying and had a permit. She said oh ok that's what I figured. Someone had asked and I told them you were probably law enforcement or were licensed. My boyfriend is a cop so I know it's legal. She was really cool about it and said she had no issue with it. That was all I heard about it the rest of the time I was there. God I love Indiana's gun laws. May have to try to move back!
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436