• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Colorado State Parks

JonStore

What I find annoying, because I called the state parks to ask before I go. They all tell me firearms are not permitted at the parks.

State police say otherwise. What I am reading say otherwise.

Seems like that they are making rules up (park services/rangers).

since9

Campaign Veteran
What I find annoying, because I called the state parks to ask before I go. They all tell me firearms are not permitted at the parks.

State police say otherwise. What I am reading say otherwise.

Seems like that they are making rules up (park services/rangers).

Two incidents in your first few days? That's unusual!

Regardless, the best advice I received on this forum was this: "Research the law and know it well. Stay within the boundaries and carry on."

When I first started OCing, I used to make those calls, and got almost as many answers as I made calls. If you remain well within the law, it's difficult to go wrong.

Saxxon

By default it refers to Title 18 CRS. As far as I can see that leaves OC permitted as OC doesn't violate the law unless in specifically prohibited areas - ie schools, government buildings where posted.

JonStore

Two incidents in your first few days? That's unusual! <snip>

I look young and have a small amount of facial hair. Even with my family I may appear like a "young whipper snapper", to those more experienced than I. I don't dress punk like.

Well the second one I brought on myself. By making a phone call. Sometimes, but rarely... I work on assumptions. In this case I assumed the LEO (park department/ranger) would be the subject matter expert on matters of law, but I'm finding that was not the case.

I was however, really impressed with the state police. Trooper called me back and gave me the lowdown on Colorado, some websites to look at, and said he understood the motivations for carrying, said he also carried off duty. Very very well informed and supportive. Very professional.

Then again, in my personal experience I have always found LEOs to be professional. I don't remember a bad experience... except signing that speeding citation I deserved. lol

Last edited: