Thread: Shield Solutions teach two Missouri teachers 40 hours for $17.5K classroom CCW

Shield Solutions teach two Missouri teachers 40 hours for $17.5K classroom CCW

School districts in Missouri have started sending staffers to firearms training so they can become an effective first line of defense in the case of a school shooting. For a fee of $17,500, a district gets 40 hours of training for two staffers at Shield Solutions training school in West Plains, the Kansas City Star reported. Ten Missouri school districts have taken the training so far and three more have signed contracts.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ealed-firearm/

https://news.google.com/news/rtc?ncl...steWcE7uHnp0sM

Posted for national information on valuation of CCW training!
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

*******, that is an outrageous price.

Yeah that is a lot. Frontsight 4 day course is @$2,500 or so, make it 5 and call it $3k.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Over 200 bucks per hr. each person?

Hey it's other peoples money.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Something must have been reported wrongly. My GUESS is that is for two staffers PER SCHOOL, with an unreported number of schools. I hope I'm right, or I'm doing my business in the wrong state.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Something must have been reported wrongly. My GUESS is that is for two staffers PER SCHOOL, with an unreported number of schools. I hope I'm right, or I'm doing my business in the wrong state.
    You mean like, 2 staff members from 5 different schools for $18k total?

For a fee of $17,500, a district gets 40 hours of training for two staffers...
    It is quite clear. 17Gs for two people. ya want tw for each school in the district? Multiply by the number of schools.

The odd thing is that no law was ever needed to have a school district have armed teachers that requested to be armed. If a teacher wants to pay for their own training, usually at a far lower cost, by breaking down the training into smaller elements (defensive use of a pistol inside the home for example) the school district could simply pay for the courses over time instead of a one time five day course.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

I agree...something is not fully reported.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    You mean like, 2 staff members from 5 different schools for $18k total?
    That's what I think...1 district, ie Springfield; then up to two from each school, which is 50 elementary/middle/high schools? $175/ea? I doubt Springfield could get that cost.

Warsaw District: 5 schools, up to two from each school, 10 people = $1,750/ea. I think this is what they meant to say.
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    For a fee of $17,500, a district gets 40 hours of training for two staffers
    I wonder if that number includes the two staffers normal pay for those 40 hours as well? That's the only way I could reasonably get to $17,500 for a firearms course.
    "Somebody ever tries to kill you, you try and kill em right back!" - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Here is a Huffington Post article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...p_ref=politics

Here is an interesting exert from the article:

After completing the program, qualified teachers then technically become Shield Solutions employees and receive a "nominal stipend," Don Crowley, training supervisor for Shield Solutions, told The Huffington Post on Monday.

"They become an employee of Shield Solutions in that if they are called upon to dispatch a threat, then that is when they hold a duty to Shield Solutions to do so," Crowley explained.
    ~Mark Twain

Huh?

So they are moonlighting to a private security firm which is contracted to their other state employer?
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Huh?

So they are moonlighting to a private security firm which is contracted to their other state employer?
    Sorta sounds that way.
    ~Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Redbaron007 View Post
    Here is a Huffington Post article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...p_ref=politics

Here is an interesting exert from the article:
    Wait, what?

When Missouri passed the LEO's-only to be able to run for sheriff, didn't that also include POST-instructor-only training for the schools? If so, is that a POST-insctructor certified course? 17K for 2 students, hell if they hadn't screwed everyone non-LE out of the mix I'd have trained an entire school's staff for that kind of money to maximize the taxpayer dollars. I wonder if there's any follow-up training offered in that package. 40 hours with no follow-up is a complete waste if they choose not to keep training.

Why not contact Shield Solutions and ask them? Here is a short clip of some of the teacher training.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kc4...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by 9026543; 08-21-2014 at 08:41 AM.