• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Travelling through CA with a pistol

birdus

My wife and I will be going on a road trip in September. I'm planning on carrying open during the majority of the trip (WA, NV, AZ, UT, WY, MT, and ID—not sure about OR, yet). Anyway, I just read this on a CA gov site:

California Penal Code section 25610 does not prevent a citizen of the United States over 18 years of age who is not lawfully prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, from transporting by motor vehicle any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person provided the firearm is unloaded and stored in a locked container.

Based on that, I could lock a pistol in my trunk and drive through California with it , even one with 15-round mags ("any pistol" from law above). We'll be coming down from WA, travelling down the coast to LA, then over to Las Vegas.

Is this correct? If I were to get pulled over for speeding, for example, should I expect the cop to ask to search my vehicle? I'm just asking for the specifics on the law, and any words of wisdom regarding how to handle a stop and any other aspects of passing though CA with a gun.

It's a shame to have to worry about such things, but becoming a felon, going to prison, and having all my guns taken away is a big risk. The alternative is to mail a pistol to the hotel in Vegas, and just be without a gun for the first week of our 3-week road trip.

Thanks,
Jay

mjones

My wife and I will be going on a road trip in September. I'm planning on carrying open during the majority of the trip (WA, NV, AZ, UT, WY, MT, and ID—not sure about OR, yet). Anyway, I just read this on a CA gov site:

California Penal Code section 25610 does not prevent a citizen of the United States over 18 years of age who is not lawfully prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, from transporting by motor vehicle any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person provided the firearm is unloaded and stored in a locked container.

Based on that, I could lock a pistol in my trunk and drive through California with it , even one with 15-round mags ("any pistol" from law above). We'll be coming down from WA, travelling down the coast to LA, then over to Las Vegas.

Is this correct? If I were to get pulled over for speeding, for example, should I expect the cop to ask to search my vehicle? I'm just asking for the specifics on the law, and any words of wisdom regarding how to handle a stop and any other aspects of passing though CA with a gun.

It's a shame to have to worry about such things, but becoming a felon, going to prison, and having all my guns taken away is a big risk. The alternative is to mail a pistol to the hotel in Vegas, and just be without a gun for the first week of our 3-week road trip.

Thanks,
Jay

Importation of Large Capacity Magazines (LCMs) is illegal unless they were previously possessed within CA prior to 1/1/00. Ditto for LCM 'conversion kits' (i.e. components of LCMs) CA PC 32310, 32311, 32420

On a similar note, do not bring in, any so-called, 'assault pistol' Basically, no threaded barrels or magazines outside the pistol grip. CA PC 30515.(a)(4)

It is legal to carry loaded and/or concealed in any residence or temporary residence - this includes hotels, campsites, and RVs when being used as a residence. See exceptions to PC 25400 and 25850