Thread: Aftermarket magazines. Your opinions/experiences please.

Aftermarket magazines. Your opinions/experiences please.

I bought a Ruger P93. But it came with AWB 10 round magazines. I want higher capacity mags. But the factory ones are a bit scarce.

What there is plenty of are mags from Pro Mag and Mec-Gar.

I prefer factory mags. I bought some Ram Line magazines for a Beretta once and they were absolute crap. So I'm hesitant to buy after market magazines.

Anyone here ever use Pro-Mag or Mec-Gar, especially in a Ruger? I know they're popular but that doesn't mean good. Tell me your experience, please.

I haven't had much luck with after market magazines I try and avoid them. Some times they work some times they don't.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

This is based on other semiauto handguns not the P-series Rugers: Mec Gar generally makes good products. In fact they manufacture the factory-supplied-and-branded mags for several companies. That said, my recommendation would be to buy just one the first time and see how it runs.

Now as to the Pro Mag brand...mama always told me if you can't say something nice, don't say anything...

I have had good luck with Mec-Gear.
    Pro-mag?
    P-lease
    R-emember
    O-ur
    M-agazines
    A-re
    G-arbage.
    Last edited by Bernymac; 06-24-2014 at 10:05 AM.

I also prefer factory mags when I can find them - and I don't seem to have any problem finding mags for my P89, as long as you don't mind stainless - Midway has Ruger 15 round mags in stainless at under $30:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/913...tainless-steel

Brownells and Buds Gun Shop also have them at a bit higher price.

Shopruger.com has blued mags that they list for the P89 & P85, but don't list the P95 for some reason - but they are $40 to, so...
    Last edited by JustaShooter; 06-24-2014 at 08:17 PM.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Thanks for the posts.

I found a guy selling a Ruger factory mag on Ebay for a low price.

He advertised it as a 10 rounder, but it didn't look like a 10 rounder on the picture (no AWB block on the bottom).

I bought it and *GASP!* It actually is a 15 round factory mag. The guy lied to get around Ebays stupid rules regarding magazines!

I forgive him.

I have several Rugers. P85 and P95 both take the same mag and I bought a bunch of mecgars. They function with no problems and they cost less than factory 15s. I also bought a bunch of korean glock 17 mags for my Sweet Baboo's baby glock. She uses the stock 10s for concealed and the G17s with a pierce grip adapter for OC. They work great and only ten bucks.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

My limited experience with Pro-Mag is almost completely negative.

My extensive experience with Mec-Gar is 100% positive. Note that many OEM mags are actually manufactured by Mec-Gar.

Quote Originally Posted by DrMark View Post
    My limited experience with Pro-Mag is almost completely negative.

My extensive experience with Mec-Gar is 100% positive. Note that many OEM mags are actually manufactured by Mec-Gar.
    Pretty much what I was just about to say.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip