• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Aftermarket magazines. Your opinions/experiences please.

pkbites

I bought a Ruger P93. But it came with AWB 10 round magazines. I want higher capacity mags. But the factory ones are a bit scarce.

What there is plenty of are mags from Pro Mag and Mec-Gar.

I prefer factory mags. I bought some Ram Line magazines for a Beretta once and they were absolute crap. So I'm hesitant to buy after market magazines.

Anyone here ever use Pro-Mag or Mec-Gar, especially in a Ruger? I know they're popular but that doesn't mean good. Tell me your experience, please.

Brian D.

This is based on other semiauto handguns not the P-series Rugers: Mec Gar generally makes good products. In fact they manufacture the factory-supplied-and-branded mags for several companies. That said, my recommendation would be to buy just one the first time and see how it runs.

Now as to the Pro Mag brand...mama always told me if you can't say something nice, don't say anything...

Bernymac

I have had good luck with Mec-Gear.
Pro-mag?
P-lease
R-emember
O-ur
M-agazines
A-re
G-arbage. :D

Last edited:

JustaShooter

I also prefer factory mags when I can find them - and I don't seem to have any problem finding mags for my P89, as long as you don't mind stainless - Midway has Ruger 15 round mags in stainless at under $30:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/91...94-p95-pc9-9mm-luger-15-round-stainless-steel

Brownells and Buds Gun Shop also have them at a bit higher price.

Shopruger.com has blued mags that they list for the P89 & P85, but don't list the P95 for some reason - but they are $40 to, so...

Last edited:

pkbites

Thanks for the posts.

I found a guy selling a Ruger factory mag on Ebay for a low price.

He advertised it as a 10 rounder, but it didn't look like a 10 rounder on the picture (no AWB block on the bottom).

I bought it and *GASP!*:eek: It actually is a 15 round factory mag. The guy lied to get around Ebays stupid rules regarding magazines!

;) I forgive him.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I have several Rugers. P85 and P95 both take the same mag and I bought a bunch of mecgars. They function with no problems and they cost less than factory 15s. I also bought a bunch of korean glock 17 mags for my Sweet Baboo's baby glock. She uses the stock 10s for concealed and the G17s with a pierce grip adapter for OC. They work great and only ten bucks.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
My limited experience with Pro-Mag is almost completely negative.

My extensive experience with Mec-Gar is 100% positive. Note that many OEM mags are actually manufactured by Mec-Gar.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
My limited experience with Pro-Mag is almost completely negative.

My extensive experience with Mec-Gar is 100% positive. Note that many OEM mags are actually manufactured by Mec-Gar.

Pretty much what I was just about to say.