Thread: Waukesha settles civil rights claim over arrest, lost video "destroyed"

Waukesha settles civil rights claim over arrest, lost video "destroyed"

The City of Waukesha has agreed to pay what the plaintiff's attorney calls a "substantial" amount to settle a civil rights lawsuit against police who destroyed video of an arrest the subject contends was unfounded and done with excessive force.
    [ ... ]
    He denied the charge, and as soon as his attorney requested the dash cam video of the arrest be preserved, it was instead destroyed. Police claimed it was a mistake, but a Waukesha judge accused officers involved of bad faith, and dismissed the charge against Schroeder.
    [ ... ]
    "The loss of the video is highly probative of the credibility of the defendants’ witnesses. Because there is a vast gulf between the different accounts of the events, the loss of the one piece of evidence that could readily show exactly what occurred is highly suspicious," he ruled.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/264309891.html

It would seem that bad faith pierces qualified immunity.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Mark Levin and last night Trey Gowdy surfaced the term of art 'spoliation' - destroying evidence allows the jury to assume the evidence was damaging to the defendant and as such c/b used to show guilt.
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Noun spoliation (plural spoliations)

The act of plundering or spoiling; robbery; deprivation; despoliation.
    Robbery or plunder in times of war; especially, the authorized act or practice of plundering neutrals at sea.
    (law) The intentional destruction of or tampering with (a document) in such way as to impair evidentiary effect.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post

It would seem that bad faith pierces qualified immunity.
    Tampering with evidence and destruction of official records sure do ...

If ever there was " Obstruction of Justice" this clearly would be it.

My .02

Regards.

CCJ
    " I detest hypocrites and their Hypocrisy" I support Liberty for each, for all, and forever".
    Ask yourself, Do you own Yourself?

What evidence...we don't have no steenking evidence....
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare