• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Coeur d'Alene man says concealed weapon saved his life

EtdBob

I found the following tale interesting. The man credits having a weapon handy as saving his life and he may well be right.
It was also a good thing that the bag guy only had a knife -

Of course, if the feller had been carrying openly, the bag guys would never even have him in the first place.

It says "he drew and cocked his gun..." Was he carrying a single action revolver, or did he have a single action auto with the hammer down on a round in the chamber?

http://www.krem.com/news/Coeur-dAlene-man-says-concealed-weapon-saved-his-life--263760671.html

"by MIKE GONZALEZ & KREM.com

KREM.com

Posted on June 18, 2014 at 11:57 PM

Updated Sunday, Jun 22 at 1:12 PM

COEUR D’ALENE, Idaho--A Coeur d’Alene man was attributing his life to having a concealed weapons permit on Wednesday.

Anthony Broyles said he and his two-year-old daughter were approached by a man with a knife. Broyles said he thought the man wanted to kidnap his daughter.

Broyles had spent four-years in the marines and said his military experience gave him a sixth sense when it comes to threat assessment. He said he was glad he was packing his pistol on Wednesday.

“I believe in carrying weapons,” said Broyles.

Broyles had a fun day planned with his daughter at Higgins Point along Lake Coeur d’Alene.

“Me and my daughter were parked here and I was standing by the vehicle on the rail. There was a van that was parked in that direction with two gentlemen sitting in it,” said Broyles.

Broyles said a man came towards them with a knife as they looked towards the lake.

“I turned around and there was a guy that was sneaking up on me...probably about 15 feet behind me and he asked me if I had any money,” said Broyles.

Broyles obtained an Idaho concealed weapons permit in 2014. He said he pulled out his gun.

“I pushed my daughter back, pulled out my weapon, cocked it and aimed it at him,” said Broyles.

The Kootenai County Sheriff’s Office said Broyles had every right to defend himself with equal or greater force, especially if he felt his life was in danger. The same rule applied in the State of Washington.

You can carry a firearm in an exposed holster without any kind of permit in Washington and Idaho, unless there is something that makes it specifically illegal. Examples of illegality would be in a courtroom or a school.

“It did 100% save my life,” said Broyles. “If I didn't have my pistol today I'm pretty sure I would have been dead.”

Broyles said he hoped the man would not try to kidnap anyone else’s kids. The Kootenai County Sheriff’s Office said you should call law enforcement officials right away if you find yourself in a similar situation. "

SFCRetired

Read this story elsewhere. The consensus there was that he was carrying the weapon without a round in the chamber. For a lot of military-trained carriers, that seems to be a common method of carry. I don't know how they train nowadays, but that is the way I was trained early in my career. We were forbidden to have a round in the chamber.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Knife fighting.

It should be an Olympic sport IMO .. a true sport, mano y mano....like boxing.

“It did 100% save my life,” said Broyles. “If I didn't have my pistol today I'm pretty sure I would have been dead.”

Most criminals who pull out a knife have no idea how to use it ... and some will simply just run away when a person says "no" instead of finding out if the opponent is able to defeat him...like cops, they want to go home at the end of the day.

I've had knifes pulled on me on the friendly streets of Chicago ... I'm still here and I never gave any of them anything.

Maverick9

“I pushed my daughter back, pulled out my weapon, cocked it and aimed it at him,” said Broyles.
The Kootenai County Sheriff’s Office said Broyles had every right to defend himself with equal or greater force, especially if he felt his life was in danger. The same rule applied in the State of Washington.
You can carry a firearm in an exposed holster without any kind of permit in Washington and Idaho, unless there is something that makes it specifically illegal. Examples of illegality would be in a courtroom or a school.
Broyles said he hoped the man would not try to kidnap anyone else’s kids. The Kootenai County Sheriff’s Office said you should call law enforcement officials right away if you find yourself in a similar situation. "

This is actually kind of funny, and strange.

First, he pushed his daughter back, then he drew then he cocked his weapon and then aimed it at the guy.

Contrast this with clearing leather and pulling the trigger. It must have been the longest 5 seconds in the BG's life, (lol).

The truth is possibly closer to David's comment - what about grabbing your kid and running away? Do BGs with knives chase people in the street who may or may not have money or children? Doubt it.

And further, it was an epic fail on his part. He should have shot the guy, who was armed and the GG had a child to protect.

Anyway, cool story.

PS, oh, yeah, when in all this, Sheriff, does the GG have time to call you, too? It's kinda like saying 'if you see a runaway train coming at you call the Sheriff'. Gah.

Last edited:

Kopis

The Kootenai County Sheriff’s Office said you should call law enforcement officials right away if you find yourself in a similar situation.

Solid advice guys....

These three quotes are in order from the article:
Broyles said he thought the man wanted to kidnap his daughter.

I turned around and there was a guy that was sneaking up on me...probably about 15 feet behind me and he asked me if I had any money,” said Broyles.

Broyles said he hoped the man would not try to kidnap anyone else’s kids.

So why does this guy think that the guy wanted to kidnap his 2 year old daughter when the criminal supposedly approached him and "asked" for money? I kind of question the whole story. What are you going to do with a 2 year old kid? dont they whine a lot, need food and diapers?

Running Wolf

Campaign Veteran
It's nice that the news org pointed out that open carry is legal and doesn't need a permit. Most news outlets just ignore, or are ignorant of, that inconvenient truth.

EtdBob

Yeah, the GG apparently had a Ruger LCP with an empty chamber.
Duh, It simply never occurred to me that he might have been carrying an automatic with an empty chamber!
In the past, I've carried a FEG Browning Hi Power clone the same way, on account of I didn't trust the thumb safety on that gun.
The GG being a recent Marine, and having little kids at home, and new to concealed carry, the empty chamber makes sense.

I'm just glad the bad guy didn't rush him, 15 feet away with a knife and all that.

The thugs were probably just riding about looking for some easy cash - "Look! A father out for a stroll with a kid in an isolated area! No way he will risk the kid getting hurt, lets see how much money he has!"

Open carry would have prevented this whole episode. "No way! He's packing!"

And if most adults carried openly, maybe the thugs would simply give it up and get a job?
We can hope, anyway.

I think this episode does contrast the difference between open and concealed carry. Concealed carry lets you be armed sure, but every time it comes into play it seems to me that it sets you up for some kind of fast draw and close range fight. If the bad guy(s) are serious about what they are doing, anyway.

Open carry has a distinct deterrent value that concealed carry simply cannot provide.

I'm very surprised that Krem news added the unnecessary bit about open carry! Is this a media outlet encouraging open carry!?!

Maverick9

In fact, I'm now disbelieving the entire story.

When I first got a new firearm, I carried for a week in condition 3, unchambered, no safety. Once familiar with the package, holster, firearm handling, range visit or two, I went back to condition 1.

BUT, I'm here to tell you that from the time I got out of the car, walked up to the bench (outdoor range) and got out the scope, the case open, everything ready, ears on, I raised the gun and went "CLICK". AND, I did that three times that first week at separate visits, despite thinking 'don't forget to rack, don't forget to rack, don't forget to rack,' as I drove up.

NO WAY did this guy 'cock' his LCP. He lied, pure and simple. His pointing it (if he even did that) scared the guy away (IF, in fact the BG could even see an LCP in a man's hands at 15 feet, focused on his knife and the kid and thoughts of cash).

Thanks for the 'other side' break down guys.

Last edited:

PeterNSteinmetz

When I first got a new firearm, I carried for a week in condition 3, unchambered, no safety. Once familiar with the package, holster, firearm handling, range visit or two, I went back to condition 1.

Interesting. I went through the exact same process with carrying my first pistol, a 1911. It took a while to convince myself this was the right way to carry it.