• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

question about open carry

sauer_87

i have a concealed carry permit and know all the laws on that, i know little about open carry except that it is legal in NC. Are the laws the same as CC as in when you can use it to protect yourself? i know with CC there are rules when you can use your weapon just wondering if it was the same for OC also or if your more free to use it. any info would help. thanks

solus

welcome to the forum sauer...

to answer your initial query...more or less. there are no specific statutes on the books saying you can't or how to OC, while the statutes do cover how you can CC. now there are areas which are prohibited carry of ANY/ALL firearms ~ educational, courthouses, state buildings, federal property, after consumption of alcohol or use of a controlled substance etc, and areas which specifically prohibit CC'g, LE/correction facilities, offices of state/federal, posted property (some specifically state no CC though). does that mean you can OC...eh, not sure i wish to be a test case.

you will find a flyer at the beginning of this thread which will provide you some information about OC. many NC OC'rs carry it with them to give to ppl when they engage them in conversation about their OC firearm..

here is the NC attorney general's firearm link...section III D is the area you need to visit first since it covers transport of firearms in vehicles...AG states there are NO Statutes covering how... bottom line either lay it on the seat or dash for 'open carry' or leave it on your side and provide the nice LE who stopped you that you have a firearm. (there are many opinions on the forum on how to handle the conversation between the nice LE and yourself so you can discern for yourself your approach)

http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/32344299-a2a7-4ae5-99fd-9018262f64ac/NC-Firearms-gun-Laws.aspx

finally, here is the link to the NC statutes if the AG's conversation didn't bore you sufficiently (search in the upper right):

http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/statutes/statutes.asp

again welcome and sit back and enjoy as the other nice NC folk come out and say hello.

ipse

Last edited:

dmatting

i have a concealed carry permit and know all the laws on that, i know little about open carry except that it is legal in NC. Are the laws the same as CC as in when you can use it to protect yourself? i know with CC there are rules when you can use your weapon just wondering if it was the same for OC also or if your more free to use it. any info would help. thanks

The videos and information you were presented with in your CHP class regarding the actual use of the firearm will apply whether the pistol is carried concealed or openly. The laws on use of force are not tied in with or influenced by the manner of carry.

solus

The videos and information you were presented with in your CHP class regarding the actual use of the firearm will apply whether the pistol is carried concealed or openly. The laws on use of force are not tied in with or influenced by the manner of carry.

what videos? remember NC AG & DOJ training said they were outdated as of early '12 and weren't going to update them so do not use them as they contain incorrect info....

ipse