• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Weekly get togethers? Talk Politics?

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
mobiushky: I hope I didn't come across as being critical -- didn't mean to -- just 'splaining myself better, at least why I think we should have OC events, and in EVERY state that has OC.

But let me address the rest of this to everyone reading here, if you will:

I suggest that even in states with CC only, have CC EVENTS, too! Sure, no one there would KNOW the guys at "Table 42" are carrying -- so no D&E* would be goin' on (as would be the case with OC-ers), but CC-ers could still meet anyway, yes? Especially in CC states that are "may-issue" -- one MAJOR goal of "CC Events" in those states, for example, could be to discuss how to bring about "shall-issue."

And even sorry repressive Hawaii that has NEITHER CC or OC: Have events where "gun people" can go to get organized and meet others so they can TOGETHER figure out how to break the stranglehold liberals have had on HI since statehood -- 55 years! That's WAY too long, yes?

Ain't it about time for some "Hope & Change" in HI? I'd say so!

So even in a REPRESSIVE state, people could start having events, even if they must be (by law) unarmed. Even in the Free States of America, not having events kind of encourages complacency & the status-quo. Even in the Free States we could use improvement in the gun climate, yes?

I certainly hear mobisuhky about "lack of enthusiasm" syndrome. It's often seen here in Colorado. And I see the same malady in New Mexico, too.

Are gun-carriers just lazy? Apathetic maybe? Both? Who knows...

Doesn't matter though: OC events should go on & continue anyway! Even if only the "host" shows up, as at least it's an OPPORTUNITY for people to meet up, whereas otherwise, there'd be NO such opportunity whatsoever. Of course, it's up to people to come -- or not. But at least the opportunity is presented. That's all we can do. Then we see where it goes from there.

Sometimes I think gun-owners/carriers deserve whatever negative stuff (such as further "infringements") comes down the pike if they are too lazy/apathetic/complacent to get more active/involved. Let them reap what they are (not) sowing, if you will. Reading online forums is fine of course, but in addition to that, why not get out and meet some other OC-ers? Why not get a bit organized vs. doing the isolated "Lone Wolf" (and "unicorn") thing each of us does when we OC out there everyday -- and will CONTINUE to do (naturally) regardless -- but why not ALSO have OC get-togethers? The Lone Wolf thing DOES make some progress, but couldn't we make more if we got better organized? And put some faces with the names in our respective State sub-forums...develop a more personal relationship with other like-minded people?

Nothing wrong with people wanting to "mind their own business," but that mentality taken far enough could lead to a "I don't want to get involved" mindset when our enemies out there ALREADY are involved. And HAVE been. And better organized. They could win by simple default. Why make it so easy for them?

But (and this is something new apparently that Yours Truly came up with, and no, thank you, just because I live in CO doesn't mean I was smoking anything to receive such enlightenment) we shouldn't keep the "invitations" to OC-ers only: Invite 2 other groups of people to OC events:

Invite CC-ers -- so we can have better relations with them. And their VOTES even if some legislation MAINLY impacts OC-ing. And we return the favor if legislation MAINLY impacts CC-ing. Rather than (like 30 million hunters think, for example): Hey, it doesn't directly impact ME or MY thing, so why should *I* care? Well, we get them to see they SHOULD care. And Why. After all, IMO we're all -- OC-ers & CC-ers alike -- in this together. It's nice to sit around a table of people @ an OC event who OC and UNDERSTAND OC -- but it's like preaching to the choir. In addition to getting together with our OC brethren -- and discussing OC issues, and dispensing a whole lot of D&E to the staff, management and other customers at the meeting location -- I think we should start bridging the gap with CC-ers, who DON'T get OC. And we need to get CC-ers (which outnumber OC-ers by a HUGE margin) out there OC-ing...at least as many as we can. We need the public to SEE more guns out there carried by decent citizens -- not just the cops (military excluded as they are DISarmed by direct order all the way from the top -- sad and shameful as it is, that's another topic).

Invite "newbies" -- who may be thinking about carrying but are afraid to (for whatever reasons) so we can offer them tips, advice and moral support. Let them see at an event lots of people OCing by average citizens just like themselves -- and nothing bad happens! It'd probably be the FIRST time they ever saw ANYONE OC-ing...let alone a number of us. And all in one place!

Again, we need the public to SEE more guns out there, so besides "converting" CC-ers -- who can at least on occasion do some OC-ing -- we get NEW people into carrying also. And hopefully, OC-ing as well.

So no problem mobiushky...sometimes I try to express a concept in my head but it doesn't arrive as intended. Part of that is because I'm from another planet yet still trying to fit in here (despite my "alien" status).

Will try to do better...;-)

* D&E = Desensitizing & Educating

Last edited:

ArtBrownSr

I'm still here fellows., my apologies I been extremely busy. I am still in the works of setting up an OC event here in Anchorage. Just don't want to slap something together and call it good, needs to be solid.

Could we start with something like promoting local gun shows? like the one in Eagle river in about August I think and the one in Wasila or Big Lake supporting the youth up there. Maybe get Birchwood to promote a handgun event. this would at least start the conversations of closer relations to fellow handgunners, and open carriers.
If this would be an option as soon as a show has a date set and some one here knows about it they can post something and continue on? On that Can we spread the word on NRA events in the area or other 2A organizations?
According to the rules I understand not promoting Ducks Unlimited as we don't "OC" shotguns.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Could we start with something like promoting local gun shows? like the one in Eagle river in about August I think and the one in Wasila or Big Lake supporting the youth up there. Maybe get Birchwood to promote a handgun event. this would at least start the conversations of closer relations to fellow handgunners, and open carriers.
If this would be an option as soon as a show has a date set and some one here knows about it they can post something and continue on? On that Can we spread the word on NRA events in the area or other 2A organizations?
According to the rules I understand not promoting Ducks Unlimited as we don't "OC" shotguns.
Build it and they will come.

Events that are gun related are fine to report on individual state sub-forums.....even Ducks Unlimited :) Some of them OC and carry handguns for self-defense.

ArtBrownSr

Build it and they will come.

Events that are gun related are fine to report on individual state sub-forums.....even Ducks Unlimited :) Some of them OC and carry handguns for self-defense.

Well I'm still feeling my way around here and if you follow the recent posts you'll see that I'm not bashful saying things I feel needs saying but I shall ALWAYS try to stay within the rules.
YOU CAN'T HEAR ME if I'm outside.

mobiushky

Hey Art, welcome to the board. Just FYI. Birchwood has seasonal rifle/pistol competitions that run around 9 weeks per session and then break for a bit. We shoot on Wed night and Friday night and add Sat if enough are interested. Right now we're in week 7, so 2 more to go before the break. The next session is likely to start off sometime after Thanksgiving. There are 6 divisions. Centerfire Pistol Irons, Centerfire Pistol Optics, Rimfire Pistol Irons, Rimfire Pistol Optics, Rimfire Rifle Irons, and Rimfire Rifle Optics. There is also a bi-monthly steel challenge meet every other Sunday and I believe a monthly cowboy action meet. I have a friend who shoots cowboy action and wild bunch who's been trying to get me out there. On the opposite Sundays there is a 3-gun meet. Lot's of handgun opportunities are there now if you're interested. The competitions are very difficult, the attitudes are laid back. A lot of us shoot to challenge ourselves more than to "win".

ArtBrownSr

Hey Art, welcome to the board. Just FYI. Birchwood has seasonal rifle/pistol competitions that run around 9 weeks per session and then break for a bit. We shoot on Wed night and Friday night and add Sat if enough are interested. Right now we're in week 7, so 2 more to go before the break. The next session is likely to start off sometime after Thanksgiving. There are 6 divisions. Centerfire Pistol Irons, Centerfire Pistol Optics, Rimfire Pistol Irons, Rimfire Pistol Optics, Rimfire Rifle Irons, and Rimfire Rifle Optics. There is also a bi-monthly steel challenge meet every other Sunday and I believe a monthly cowboy action meet. I have a friend who shoots cowboy action and wild bunch who's been trying to get me out there. On the opposite Sundays there is a 3-gun meet. Lot's of handgun opportunities are there now if you're interested. The competitions are very difficult, the attitudes are laid back. A lot of us shoot to challenge ourselves more than to "win".

OK, guys n gals Here is a Friends of NRA Banquet at the Bear Mountain Grill in Eagle River on the 21st:
https://www.friendsofnra.org/eventtickets/Events/Details/2?eventId=52141
I'm gonna put this in the Alaska Events thread.