Thread: Another 5 yr old reasoning needed opinion of SCOTUS-access to sidewalks

Banned

Another 5 yr old reasoning needed opinion of SCOTUS-access to sidewalks

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions...-1168_6k47.pdf

This one about abortion protestors ... needing to be 35 feet away from clinics.

How many times have people been told by cops that you cannot stay on the sidewalk due to "impeding traffic"

All BS of course. And clearly law enforcement needs a 5 yr old reasoning to let them know this.

Uh, ya lost me.

Should we not have 'sidewalk impeding' rules or just a few or what? Or are you saying why can't cops just come up and say 'move along' like they do to any group?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post
    Uh, ya lost me.

Should we not have 'sidewalk impeding' rules or just a few or what? Or are you saying why can't cops just come up and say 'move along' like they do to any group?
    Ithink you got it ... move-along is not working anymore ..

Is there no " peaceful assembly". ?

CCJ
    " I detest hypocrites and their Hypocrisy" I support Liberty for each, for all, and forever".
    Ask yourself, Do you own Yourself?

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by countryclubjoe View Post
    Is there no " peaceful assembly". ?

CCJ
    Not without the proper permission slips....
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

The right of assembly to voice one's opinion (whether or not for the purpose of seeking redress from the government) has become enshrined, So be it, as I see the opposite as being way worse than having to deal with kooks and crazies shouting and waving signs.

The ruling moved the barrier from real estate around the building where the activity the protesters are protesting about takes place to around the person doing/trying to do the activity the protestors are protesting about. Makes life a bit harder for the cops, but seems to be more focused on the rights of both individuals involved in the "discussion".

And it will have a great impact on the "free expression zones" that we have been battling against. Anybody want to bet how long it will take an organization like FIRE to haul this ruling up against some public school/university? Or GOA against MDA/CSGV?

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post

And it will have a great impact on the "free expression zones" that we have been battling against.
    Anybody want to bet how long it will take an organization like FIRE to haul this ruling up against some public school/university? Or GOA against MDA/CSGV?

stay safe.
    There are no appropriate "free expression zones" .. any public place is suitable.

http://offgridsurvival.com/free-spee...ht-to-protest/

I do not follow these 1st amendment zones .... much to the consternation of public officials ... I even visit them at their houses !