• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another 5 yr old reasoning needed opinion of SCOTUS-access to sidewalks

Maverick9

Uh, ya lost me.

Should we not have 'sidewalk impeding' rules or just a few or what? Or are you saying why can't cops just come up and say 'move along' like they do to any group?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
The right of assembly to voice one's opinion (whether or not for the purpose of seeking redress from the government) has become enshrined, So be it, as I see the opposite as being way worse than having to deal with kooks and crazies shouting and waving signs.

The ruling moved the barrier from real estate around the building where the activity the protesters are protesting about takes place to around the person doing/trying to do the activity the protestors are protesting about. Makes life a bit harder for the cops, but seems to be more focused on the rights of both individuals involved in the "discussion".

And it will have a great impact on the "free expression zones" that we have been battling against. Anybody want to bet how long it will take an organization like FIRE to haul this ruling up against some public school/university? Or GOA against MDA/CSGV?

stay safe.

davidmcbeth

Banned

And it will have a great impact on the "free expression zones" that we have been battling against.
Anybody want to bet how long it will take an organization like FIRE to haul this ruling up against some public school/university? Or GOA against MDA/CSGV?

stay safe.

There are no appropriate "free expression zones" .. any public place is suitable.

http://offgridsurvival.com/free-spe...in-nevada-to-blocks-publics-right-to-protest/

I do not follow these 1st amendment zones .... much to the consternation of public officials ... I even visit them at their houses !