• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No firearms sign apply to Leo private business?

solus

so tfed12, how do LEs purchase personal firearms in your neck of the woods thus meeting NC statute 14-402? most around here have CHPs so they do not have to get their supervisors to write them letters authorizing them purchase permission?

IPSE

TFED12 quote According to NCGS 14-404(d)(2), LEO can simply show thier Departmental ID to the vendor. However, in my case, I have a CHP. So, I just use that. Once again, I expect no special priveledges and don't use any special priveledges.[/QUOTE]

14-404 has absolutely nothing to do with purchase of a firearm in the state of NC.

14-404. Issuance or refusal of permit; appeal from refusal; grounds for refusal; sheriff's fee.
snip:
(d) Nothing in this Article shall apply to officers authorized by law to carry firearms if the officers identify themselves to the vendor or donor as being officers authorized by law to carry firearms and provide any of the following:
(1) A letter signed by the officer's supervisor or superior officer stating that the officer is authorized by law to carry a firearm.
(2) A current photographic identification card issued by the officer's employer.
(3) A current photographic identification card issued by a State agency that identifies the individual as a law enforcement officer certified by the State of North Carolina.
(4) A current identification card issued by the officer's employer and another form of current photographic identification.

14-402. Sale of certain weapons without permit forbidden.
(a) It is unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation in this State to sell, give away, or transfer, or to purchase or receive, at any place within this State from any other place within or without the State any pistol unless: (i) a license or permit is first obtained under this Article by the purchaser or receiver from the sheriff of the county in which the purchaser or receiver resides; or (ii) a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit is held under Article 54B of this Chapter by the purchaser or receiver who must be a resident of the State at the time of the purchase.

forgive me but perhaps, just perhaps, i missed in NC statute 14-402 the statement, "oh by the way, law enforcement personnel are completely except from this statute cuz they have a badge."

just saying...next you will telling me the FFLs don't run NICS checks of LE purchasers? if so please provide a cite exempting BATF regulatory requirements.

ipse

Last edited:

TFED12

TFED12 quote According to NCGS 14-404(d)(2), LEO can simply show thier Departmental ID to the vendor. However, in my case, I have a CHP. So, I just use that. Once again, I expect no special priveledges and don't use any special priveledges.

14-404 has absolutely nothing to do with purchase of a firearm in the state of NC.

14-404. Issuance or refusal of permit; appeal from refusal; grounds for refusal; sheriff's fee.
snip:
(d) Nothing in this Article shall apply to officers authorized by law to carry firearms if the officers identify themselves to the vendor or donor as being officers authorized by law to carry firearms and provide any of the following:
(1) A letter signed by the officer's supervisor or superior officer stating that the officer is authorized by law to carry a firearm.
(2) A current photographic identification card issued by the officer's employer.
(3) A current photographic identification card issued by a State agency that identifies the individual as a law enforcement officer certified by the State of North Carolina.
(4) A current identification card issued by the officer's employer and another form of current photographic identification.

14-402. Sale of certain weapons without permit forbidden.
(a) It is unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation in this State to sell, give away, or transfer, or to purchase or receive, at any place within this State from any other place within or without the State any pistol unless: (i) a license or permit is first obtained under this Article by the purchaser or receiver from the sheriff of the county in which the purchaser or receiver resides; or (ii) a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit is held under Article 54B of this Chapter by the purchaser or receiver who must be a resident of the State at the time of the purchase.

forgive me but perhaps, just perhaps, i missed in NC statute 14-402 the statement, "oh by the way, law enforcement personnel are completely except from this statute cuz they have a badge."

just saying...next you will telling me the FFLs don't run NICS checks of LE purchasers? if so please provide a cite exempting BATF regulatory requirements.

ipse[/QUOTE]

Solas,

Exactly! 14-404 outlines Issuance and refusal. Section (d) is exempting LEO from having to be ISSUED a permit. Therefore all they have to do is show ID to the vendor. I never said anything about 14-402 or that you missed any statements. I never said anybody was exempt from NICS checks. I don't know why you would ask me to provide a cite to something I have not stated. I don't know why you are trying to put words in my mouth. I don't know what I said to upset you. I simply quoted the General Statutes that pertained to the question at hand. I didn't write the General Statutes or place them in the chapters and sections they are in. I understand your dislike of the laws exempting LEO's. I do too. I said before, I do not use these exemptions and don't expect them and would not want to be the test case just to find out that a judges opinion of the law is different than yours or mine.

Have a Great Day

Last edited: