• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Waffle House defensive shooting

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Happened in Chesnee, SC, but could have been anywhere.

Citizen with Concealed Weapon Permit Shoots Armed Robber
http://Nineteen-year-old Dante Williams' family said there is no doubt Dante entered the Waffle House in January of 2012 intent on robbing it, but they say he didn't have to die though he and another man Juwan Craig brandished loaded firearms, ordered patrons to empty their wallets, purses, hand over cellphones and lay on the floor. Unbeknownst to Craig and Williams, Justin Harrison a patron with a CWP (Concealed Weapons Permit) was in the house.

http://www.examiner.com/article/rel...emand-gun-control?CID=examiner_alerts_article

Relatives of armed robber call for more gun control - this video in response to the absurdity of their case.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BOvdOmVjlU

davidmcbeth

Banned
“Tamika McSwain is Williams' cousin and said more training is needed before someone is given a CWP,” the Fox report relates. “McSwain said her family was disappointed that Harrison wasn't charged in the shooting and says her family is still considering pursuing other legal action against him.”

There should be any training requirement, fees due, etc if they want a permit system. One should just walk up and they hand you a permit (no ID needed etc.).

If they want a permit system

chocofan

they two individuals presented them self's as a threat, and where treated as a threat. Dante Williams might have been a nice boy among his family, some time's people change there attitude when they are with friend's. Did Dante get what he deserved mabe not but they should have thought about there action's before doing them.
I say keep the thug's in New England.

Last edited:

Maverick9

Interestingly enough, this kind of incident (the 'my baby was a good kid' thing) can actually work against them and for SD rights.

The more egregious the incident (two armed thugs with hoodies menacing individual customers vs just going to the cash register) the more that odd grieving family reaction works to turn people against Perps. Perps get shot. Deal. (says the commentator).

Awkwardly put, (just been out jogging, lol)...but you get my drift.

OC for ME

"He was always sharp, always goofy, loved to dance, he was a respectable boy," McSwain said of her cousin.
...except for the armed robbery thing.

There is a little more elbow room in the shallow end of the gene pool.

sheepdog

...this SC Statute may provide the protection from the bereaved's "treasure hunt":
SECTION 16-11-450. Immunity from criminal prosecution and civil actions; law enforcement officer exception; costs.

(A) A person who uses deadly force as permitted by the provisions of this article or another applicable provision of law is justified in using deadly force and is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action for the use of deadly force, unless the person against whom deadly force was used is a law enforcement officer acting in the performance of his official duties and he identifies himself in accordance with applicable law or the person using deadly force knows or reasonably should have known that the person is a law enforcement officer.

(B) A law enforcement agency may use standard procedures for investigating the use of deadly force as described in subsection (A), but the agency may not arrest the person for using deadly force unless probable cause exists that the deadly force used was unlawful.

(C) The court shall award reasonable attorneys' fees, court costs, compensation for loss of income, and all expenses incurred by the defendant in defense of a civil action brought by a plaintiff if the court finds that the defendant is immune from prosecution as provided in subsection (A).

HISTORY: 2006 Act No. 379, Section 1, eff June 9, 2006.

chocofan

Tamika McSwain said Dante was a " was a respectable boy" watching the security camera footage Dante and his "pal" didn't seem to give to much respect to anybody that evening.
being born in a large city, I've had my share of having a gun waved in my face and being striped of my personal belonging's.:(
That's why I moved down south to get away from the noisey , garbage filled street's abandoned building's urine stinking subway's

Last edited:

PeterNSteinmetz

Does anyone know if/where there is a link to the actual video ? Many stories with snippets but it would be interesting to see the facts here.

chocofan

Yes it would be interesting , I think the only proof available is the security video footage.
a 19 and a 30 year old huh! now I see where ignorance and dominance come in to play, mislead by Craig for less than $100. dollars.
watching the short video footage when Dante and Craig walking in the Wafflehouse together pull out there weapon's together, one of the thug's walk's to the rear of the restaurant the other just follow's so I guess it safe to say witch is the planner of the robbery, Craig leader and Dante the follower, mislead and technically killed by Craig. for leading and convinceing Dante in to robbing a Wafflehouse. I don't consider Dante of being innocent of his action's that evening but of being mislead by crackhead Craig if anything the family should have blamed Craig.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yes it would be interesting , I think the only proof available is the security video footage.
a 19 and a 30 year old huh! now I see where ignorance and dominance come in to play, mislead by Craig for less than $100. dollars.

watching the short video footage when Dante and Craig walking in the Wafflehouse together pull out there weapon's together, one of the thug's walk's to the rear of the restaurant the other just follow's so I guess it safe to say witch is the planner of the robbery, Craig leader and Dante the follower, mislead and technically killed by Craig. for leading and convinceing Dante in to robbing a Wafflehouse. I don't consider Dante of being innocent of his action's that evening but of being mislead by crackhead Craig if anything the family should have blamed Craig.
Families may rear us, neighborhoods may raise us, and friends may influence us, BUT ultimately we are responsible for our own actions.

That is the way of things.

chocofan

Families may rear us, neighborhoods may raise us, and friends may influence us, BUT ultimately we are responsible for our own actions.

That is the way of things.

I totally agree, I ask my self why didn't Craig go at it by him self?
it might be cause he needed someone to watch his back? or get shot while Craig run's away?
Grapeshot I agree with you 100%, but I do think that Dante followed Craig and not Craig followed Dante.

chocofan

I really do not care who was following who, but Craig should be charged with murder, if he has not already.

yes should be charged. I belive Craig just wanted some quick cash to do some of his crack addiction, and took advantage of the kid that didn't know any better. IMO.