Thread: Does owning real estate really make you eligible for an OR CHL?

Does owning real estate really make you eligible for an OR CHL?

Ordinarily, a person who does not have their primary residence in OR or one of its surrounding states cannot obtain an OR CHL. However, I read something in OR law that appears to say that, for purposes of being eligible for a CHL, a person is considered a resident of an OR county if they own real property in that county. Notably, it didn't specify if any particular type of structure must have been erected thereon, so theoretically an empty lot would qualify. Is it really that case this would allow persons who are not residents of the aforementioned states to obtain an OR CHL?

I find this, 166.291 Issuance of concealed handgun license

166.291 Issuance of concealed handgun license
    (1) The sheriff of a county, upon a persons application for an Oregon concealed handgun license, upon receipt of the appropriate fees and after compliance with the procedures set out in this section, shall issue the person a concealed handgun license if the person:

(a)(A) Is a citizen of the United States; or

(B) Is a legal resident alien who can document continuous residency in the county for at least six months and has declared in writing to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services the intent to acquire citizenship status and can present proof of the written declaration to the sheriff at the time of application for the license;

(b) Is at least 21 years of age;

(c) Is a resident of the county;
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Except, see 166.291 (9)(c). From https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bi...013ors166.html

(9) For purposes of subsection (1)(c) of this section, a person is a resident of a county if the person:

(a) Has a current Oregon driver license issued to the person showing a residence address in the county;

(b) Is registered to vote in the county and has a voter notification card issued to the person under ORS 247.181 showing a residence address in the county;

(c) Has documentation showing that the person currently leases or owns real property in the county; or

(d) Has documentation showing that the person filed an Oregon tax return for the most recent tax year showing a residence address in the county.
    That said, according to handgunlaw.us some County Sheriffs are not as pro-gun as others, so you may need to pick & choose your county...
    Last edited by JustaShooter; 06-27-2014 at 08:15 PM.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaShooter View Post
    That said, according to handgunlaw.us some County Sheriffs are not as pro-gun as others, so you may need to pick & choose your county...
    So you'd agree with my interpretation of it? I wonder if any OR CHL has actually been issued under this set of facts.

Yes, owning/leasing land qualifies you for the shall-issue permit.

Residents of neighboring states are in may-issue status, and we are the ones who have to pick a pro-gun sheriff and stand in a long line when we do.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by randian View Post
    So you'd agree with my interpretation of it? I wonder if any OR CHL has actually been issued under this set of facts.
    Yep, that's how I read it - if I had occasion to do so, I'd give it a shot. Perhaps someone with direct knowledge will enlighten us further...
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Yes, owning/leasing land qualifies you for the shall-issue permit.

Residents of neighboring states are in may-issue status, and we are the ones who have to pick a pro-gun sheriff and stand in a long line when we do.
    wasn't there a WA resident who shared a request letter out here on the forum to one OR sheriff which provided rationale to the OR sheriff to get a OR concealed permit?

ispe
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    wasn't there a WA resident who shared a request letter out here on the forum to one OR sheriff which provided rationale to the OR sheriff to get a OR concealed permit?
    Not sure I understand what you are saying. There are several OR counties with sheriffs that are known to issue with no hassles to neighboring residents. Josephine and Grant Counties are two of them, I believe. I think Grant is the one I was going to apply to, as I was in nearby Deschuttes County at the time. They had a waiting list of several months to come in to apply.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

found the letter the wa forum member put out here...

compelling-need-letter.pdf

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain