• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

O/T from open carry but ... 911/ dealing with gov't/ PITA

pat

Yesterday I glanced out of my window and noticed a lot smoke going up in the air. Not a backyard BBQ but a lot of smoke. I dial 911. The conversation goes like this.

911: what is your emergency?
Me: There is a fire, I can see a lot of smoke, but can’t give you exact address because of my view of where I’m at. But I can plainly see a lot of smoke, not a backyard burner, or somebodies BBQ but a lot of smoke, something is on fire. Please send a fire truck.
911: what is your name ?
Me: I tell my name
911: what is your address?
Me: I give my address
911: What is phone number?
Me: I give my phone number?
911: What is the location of the fire?
Me: Lady, send fire to the intersection of (cross streets in my neighborhood)
911: What address sir?
Me: Lady, send the fire to intersection of (cross streets again) and tell them look up, if they can’t see smoke we’re all in trouble.
911: OK, let make sure I this right, your name is _____, your phone is ______ your address is_____ , Is that correct?
Me: Yes that is correct. Send a fire truck!
911: OK NOW I got it.

Mentioned to wife about fire and how conversation with 911 went kind of weird.

(Thinking to myself, I’ll see if I can get good address or help somehow. I can always call back in.

“Honey I’m going to see if I can get a good address and call 911 back in with good address if I can” I drive toward smoke, only 3 blocks away I see atleast 25 people watching a house on fire being out by a 2 fire trucks.

I drive back home tell wife must have been reported by a lot of folks. Couple fire trucks is already there, house is on fire couple blocks over.

Wife to me: “Honey, I read an article that they keep people reporting fires on the phone as long as possible to make certain they have ability to trace the phone because so many arsonists for some reason call in and report the fire they started.”

OK, I feel like I've been made into a “fool” again. I’m getting to the point that any dealing with Gov’t is not in my best interest, at all!
Is it just me that feels that way? At one time I had the most upright respect for most people in Gov't. But the older I get, the more I read and open my eyes the less respect I have.

Rant over...Thanks, Feels good expelling those feelings thru my fingers typing away.

Fallschirjmäger

Ever see "Caller ID" pop up on a telephone? How many minutes did it take for a caller's number to pop up on your cellphone or landline? Was it displayed even before you picked up the call?

Today, the origin number of a call is known before the call is even connected. You're being kept on the line because someone has to type a name, location, and type of complaint into the computer.

Last edited:

deanf

Original poster is a victim of believing what he sees on TV.

Just because the call receiver is asking you a lot of questions does not mean help is not being sent. Hard as it might be to believe, the government can do two things at once.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Original poster is a victim of believing what he sees on TV.

Just because the call receiver is asking you a lot of questions does not mean help is not being sent. Hard as it might be to believe, the government can do two things at once.

That's right .. they can screw you and me at the same time. TA-DA !

Really, they got the OP's address & tele # as soon as the call connected (sounded like a landline). They just want to make sure that they have the caller's info ... in case a witness statement is needed ... or to arrest the right person.

Of course, its a crime to give false information so if you mispronounced your name due to excitement ... they'll be coming for ya.

Blocks away? Why call...I'm sure the guy's next door neighbor, whose house is next to catch on fire, called someone.