Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: So how many people have you convinced to carry?

  1. #1
    Regular Member bebop4one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    142

    So how many people have you convinced to carry?

    I was thinking about this today and realized that it's important to me to spread the word and get others interested in carrying a firearm. To date I've convinced two people (my apartment building's maintenance man and a coworker) to get their CPL's. I especially consider my coworker a success story because I took her shopping for her first firearm this weekend. I've also been very vocal about the subject around friends and one of them who already has a CPL has started carrying more frequently because of me (his words). Unfortunately I haven't been able to get anyone comfortable enough with the idea of carrying openly yet but it's a work in progress I suppose.

    Can anyone share success stories or give some advice on how I can convince more folks to start carrying?
    "I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."
    - Clint Eastwood

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    435 of them in DC at least ....

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Snohomish, WA
    Posts
    150
    Just tell them the pro vs cons of OC vs CC. At the end of the day, it's their choice and nothing you say will truly have merit. Like this talk I had with someone on the bus, he is against the idea of people allowed to bring guns on public buses which I told them that in Community Transits case, they are classified as a city and regulated as such forcing them to allow citizens to carry under state laws, he didn't respond but he obviously respected my point. Same goes, just tell them and wait and see.

  4. #4
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Just by OC and the conversations is generates lots. Many of my neighbors started carrying, (not OC) and a few acquaintances started OC.

    Last year at the libertarian convention because of the Carry of John, Kim, and I by the end of the day at least a dozen went from CC to OC.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  5. #5
    Regular Member wimwag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Doug
    Posts
    1,118
    One. And he open carries.



    His girlfriend met me at Walmart and told me about how he wanted to open carry and was scared he would be harassed. I set the record straight. Saw him a few times with her, carrying what I'm assuming is a .44mag in a BBQ worthy rig. I did note the crimson trace grips but I'm not a revolver guy so I have no idea what brand or style it was.
    Last edited by wimwag; 07-01-2014 at 12:05 AM.

  6. #6
    Regular Member bebop4one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Just by OC and the conversations is generates lots. Many of my neighbors started carrying, (not OC) and a few acquaintances started OC.

    Last year at the libertarian convention because of the Carry of John, Kim, and I by the end of the day at least a dozen went from CC to OC.
    +1 awesome!!!
    "I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."
    - Clint Eastwood

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    21
    2, my brother and gf are actively working twords getting concealed carry permits. They aren't comfortable with open carry, but that's still a work in progress.
    Using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Snohomish, WA
    Posts
    150
    I have a CPL but I am currently OC because of the heat but I usually get more curious response than fearful once, usually the negative remarks are people being a smart a$$ like me going to Olive Garden today by myself and they asked me to sit in the bar which I told them I cannot do to me carrying so the lady escorted me to a table telling me that "because it's dangerous in Olive Garden" which my response was "because I don't trust the police". Her look was priceless.

  9. #9
    Regular Member tombrewster421's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Roy, WA
    Posts
    1,329
    My dad, my wife, and my mom. My mom has her CPL though she doesn't usually carry it. There may be others that I don't know about.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

  10. #10
    Regular Member bebop4one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by tombrewster421 View Post
    My dad, my wife, and my mom. My mom has her CPL though she doesn't usually carry it. There may be others that I don't know about.
    That's great. I wish I could get my girlfriend to carry. She flat out refuses.
    "I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."
    - Clint Eastwood

  11. #11
    Regular Member SovereignAxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Elizabethton, TN
    Posts
    795
    5. Three of them currently have their permit, and one of them open carries sometimes.

    I'm working on a couple more.
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

    EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,327
    I appear to be working at a slightly early stage in the process. I can't say I consciously sought out this role, but I seem to specialize in giving folks their first-ever shooting experience.

  13. #13
    Regular Member acmariner99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Renton, Wa
    Posts
    662
    Now that summer is in full force, I am OCing far more regularly once again. When I started getting into firearms I piqued the interest of several family members - one now carries regularly (CC) another is more interested in long guns then handguns, but would carry in certain situations, and another is interested but just hasn't bothered to get their CPL. The gf is supportive and is appreciative that I am not shy about firearms and carry in general - she is in a tug of war between public perception and the freedom to simply do it. Though when I get a chance I hope to take her shooting for the first time.

  14. #14
    Regular Member Schlepnier's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Yelm, Washington USA
    Posts
    419
    Just off the top of my head I know of 5 people who i turned on to OC, all of them co-workers, one became a sheriffs deputy so I don't know if he counts anymore lol
    +thought for the day+
    ++victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none++

  15. #15
    Campaign Veteran OlGutshotWilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Snohomish, WA, ,
    Posts
    435
    Because I am the "gun guy" at work, I have several co-workers now who have gotten their CPL's and carry, at least part time. My only frustration is that most of them have bought .380's 'cause they are small and easily carried in their pockets.

    But………They have at least acquired their CPL's and guns, which is more than when I started here. One has moved up to a 9mm, has built an AR, and is reloading now. My co-workers told him not to partner with me because I would have him financially ruined in no time….. It only took me one month to convince him to reload and acquire two guns LOL!
    THE SECOND AMENDMENT: Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Government is not reason; it is not eloquent -- it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
    --George Washington,
    first U.S. president

  16. #16
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828
    I have not convinced anyone to carry. I believe one convinced against their will is of the sane opinion still!
    The have been several who now carry regularly who did not carry before after some example from me and some encouragement.
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Likely a lot of politicians !

  18. #18
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    I've never tried to convince anybody to do anything.

    Sure, I've pointed out the benefits of deciding to act one way or another, and the risks of choosing to act in a particular manner.

    Since the decision to possess a firearm is a highly personal one fraught with many dangers as well as benefits, I do not want to be "responsible" for what someone who is not me might do after they take that first step. (I've got enough trouble keeping myself out of trouble.)

    That being said, there have been some folks who have told me that what I said or did factored into their decision - about possessing a firearm or a host of other things. (It's also been said that I could convince Eskimos to pay for overnight shipping for the ice I just sold them.)

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  19. #19
    Campaign Veteran OlGutshotWilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Snohomish, WA, ,
    Posts
    435
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    I've never tried to convince anybody to do anything.

    Sure, I've pointed out the benefits of deciding to act one way or another, and the risks of choosing to act in a particular manner.

    Since the decision to possess a firearm is a highly personal one fraught with many dangers as well as benefits, I do not want to be "responsible" for what someone who is not me might do after they take that first step. (I've got enough trouble keeping myself out of trouble.)

    That being said, there have been some folks who have told me that what I said or did factored into their decision - about possessing a firearm or a host of other things. (It's also been said that I could convince Eskimos to pay for overnight shipping for the ice I just sold them.)

    stay safe.
    One does not have to specifically argue or debate the points of carrying to "convince" someone to carry.

    The word itself may be a less than perfect way to articulate what we do with people in our sphere of influence, to allow them to choose to carry. We "convince" people to start carrying, or to adopt the lifestyle of being responsible for their own and their families protection, by our example, our willingness to discuss the pros and cons of the lifestyle, our enthusiasm and/or dedication. In doing it this way, they convince themselves, or choose to adopt, the lifestyle.

    We answer their questions, explain the benefits when they ask or show interest, and point them to forums/blogs/organizations/stores/classes and ranges where they can educate themselves and decide for themselves.

    We, by our example and willingness to help or advise them, allow them to become convinced, in their own mind, that they want to pursue this path.
    THE SECOND AMENDMENT: Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Government is not reason; it is not eloquent -- it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
    --George Washington,
    first U.S. president

  20. #20
    Regular Member FMCDH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    2,043
    Over the years, I have influenced perhaps a half dozen or so to carry, though they do so mostly situationaly, and not as a daily choice as I do when I am in states that allow it.

    Beyond carry however, I feel that I have influenced far more people to be more educated and aware gun owners, which I think is more important for the 2A cause. By and large, the entire subset of "gun owners" (vs those who actually carry as a lifestyle choice) are simply too un-educated about their own rights and responsibilities. I can't even count the number of conversations I have had with "NRA fudds" where they had no clue about the legislation going on around them, or how it may affect them.

    On that thought, I miss living in the free world, as few outside of the military men and woman I work around even want to have that conversation down here in the PRoC.

  21. #21
    Regular Member bebop4one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by FMCDH View Post
    Over the years, I have influenced perhaps a half dozen or so to carry, though they do so mostly situationaly, and not as a daily choice as I do when I am in states that allow it.

    Beyond carry however, I feel that I have influenced far more people to be more educated and aware gun owners, which I think is more important for the 2A cause. By and large, the entire subset of "gun owners" (vs those who actually carry as a lifestyle choice) are simply too un-educated about their own rights and responsibilities. I can't even count the number of conversations I have had with "NRA fudds" where they had no clue about the legislation going on around them, or how it may affect them.

    On that thought, I miss living in the free world, as few outside of the military men and woman I work around even want to have that conversation down here in the PRoC.
    I escaped southern california a year ago and I couldn't be happier. Los Angeles county was so oppressive that I couldn't take it anymore. It's never too late to get out.
    "I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."
    - Clint Eastwood

  22. #22
    Regular Member FMCDH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    2,043
    Quote Originally Posted by bebop4one View Post
    I escaped southern california a year ago and I couldn't be happier. Los Angeles county was so oppressive that I couldn't take it anymore. It's never too late to get out.
    I wont be staying one minute longer than I am obligated to.

  23. #23
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by OlGutshotWilly View Post
    One does not have to specifically argue or debate the points of carrying to "convince" someone to carry.

    The word itself may be a less than perfect way to articulate what we do with people in our sphere of influence, to allow them to choose to carry. We "convince" people to start carrying, or to adopt the lifestyle of being responsible for their own and their families protection, by our example, our willingness to discuss the pros and cons of the lifestyle, our enthusiasm and/or dedication. In doing it this way, they convince themselves, or choose to adopt, the lifestyle.

    We answer their questions, explain the benefits when they ask or show interest, and point them to forums/blogs/organizations/stores/classes and ranges where they can educate themselves and decide for themselves.

    We, by our example and willingness to help or advise them, allow them to become convinced, in their own mind, that they want to pursue this path.
    +1
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •