Thread: Philadelphia police took gun from my house while I was at work, can I get it back?

Philadelphia police took gun from my house while I was at work, can I get it back?

Hello, I was at work and the lady I live with called the police and told them there was a loaded gun on my bed. The police came took the gun(which hasn't been fired since the previous owner) that had no bullets in it, and no bullets in the house at all, is there any way I can get it back? I just purchased it 3 weeks ago and have not even took it to the range yet.

Is there a police report, what does it say?
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

What are the circumstances of your living arrangement with the lady in question?
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Have you contacted the police? They are the ones with your gun, so they should have the answer not us keyboard commandos.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

There is a lot more to the story, starting with who owns the residence and what agreement there is that you both are living there.

And they didn't take it without paperwork. What does the paperwork say?
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by firebird8675 View Post
    Hello, I was at work and the lady I live with called the police and told them there was a loaded gun on my bed. The police came took the gun(which hasn't been fired since the previous owner) that had no bullets in it, and no bullets in the house at all, is there any way I can get it back? I just purchased it 3 weeks ago and have not even took it to the range yet.
    1. Lose the woman.

2. Call LEO and ask why they took/stole YOUR property(not hers) and demand its return.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

There was no police...the lady took your gun and sold it for some crack. Get rid of the lady.
    Last edited by Bernymac; 07-01-2014 at 02:27 PM.

In all seriousness, a lot depends on the specific arrangement you had. Are/were you A) "living with" her as in sharing living quarters and any fringe benefits, or are/were you B) renting a room?

If A you may have to/want to charge her with theft/conversion of property, as she disposed of private property she had no legal right to dispose of.

If B you have all sorts of 4th Amendment issues to consider, but many of them hinge on where the bed was and whether or not you could control access to that space (lock the door?) as well as theft/conversion of private property.

In either case, the first step is to establish that you are the legal owner - paper records.

The next step is to get a copy of whatever paperwork the police created. (They did create at least a receipt, right?) It would also help to get her to sign a statement explaining what she did. (Do not bother going into why she did it.)

Find the police station the cops that took the gun came from. See the highest-ranking cop there even if you have to go through all the layers of underlings in order to get to him. Show up with a written complaint stating as much as yu factually know, and separately what you have been told by "the woman I'm living with" and anybody else that might know anything about what happened. (Have several copies with you.)

You might want to also check with the "evidence room" at the local police station to find out if they are holding your gun or if not where they think it probably went. Ask for copies of the "chain of evidence" form if they indicate that they have it/had it. Make sure that names and badge numbers are legible - ask for them to write them on the form if you cannot read them - and get them to initial/badge # + date any notations they make on your copy(ies).

Just so you know - there are a ot of unanswered matters that should be very easy for you to answer, starting with the receipt given for the gun.

Sadly, I am aware that there are some amazingly niave people out there. You might be one of them. But you can overcome that and one way is to answer the various questions asked.

stay safe.

Edited to add:

HOW DID YOU FIND OUT ABOUT OCDO AND WHY DID YOU CHOOSE TO ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE?
    Last edited by skidmark; 07-01-2014 at 05:15 PM.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    In all seriousness, a lot depends on the specific arrangement you had. Are/were you A) "living with" her as in sharing living quarters and any fringe benefits, or are/were you B) renting a room?

If A you may have to/want to charge her with theft/conversion of property, as she disposed of private property she had no legal right to dispose of.

If B you have all sorts of 4th Amendment issues to consider, but many of them hinge on where the bed was and whether or not you could control access to that space (lock the door?) as well as theft/conversion of private property.

In either case, the first step is to establish that you are the legal owner - paper records.

The next step is to get a copy of whatever paperwork the police created. (They did create at least a receipt, right?) It would also help to get her to sign a statement explaining what she did. (Do not bother going into why she did it.)

Find the police station the cops that took the gun came from. See the highest-ranking cop there even if you have to go through all the layers of underlings in order to get to him. Show up with a written complaint stating as much as yu factually know, and separately what you have been told by "the woman I'm living with" and anybody else that might know anything about what happened. (Have several copies with you.)

You might want to also check with the "evidence room" at the local police station to find out if they are holding your gun or if not where they think it probably went. Ask for copies of the "chain of evidence" form if they indicate that they have it/had it. Make sure that names and badge numbers are legible - ask for them to write them on the form if you cannot read them - and get them to initial/badge # + date any notations they make on your copy(ies).

Just so you know - there are a ot of unanswered matters that should be very easy for you to answer, starting with the receipt given for the gun.

Sadly, I am aware that there are some amazingly niave people out there. You might be one of them. But you can overcome that and one way is to answer the various questions asked.

stay safe.

Edited to add:

HOW DID YOU FIND OUT ABOUT OCDO AND WHY DID YOU CHOOSE TO ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE?
    All good statements, but this sounds fishy to me. Why would the police just come into a home because someone said there was a gun on the bed. Their reply should have been "so". If you are not prohibited from owning a gun then I don't see why they would take it. Loose the girl!!

What a fishy first post...

My Grandchildren have scary posters of Dracula and Mick Jagger hanging in their bedroom, wonder if I can call local PD and have them removed? LOL

Scary guns, scary posters....

CCJ
    " I detest hypocrites and their Hypocrisy" I support Liberty for each, for all, and forever".
    Ask yourself, Do you own Yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by countryclubjoe View Post
    What a fishy first post...

My Grandchildren have scary posters of Dracula and Mick Jagger hanging in their bedroom, wonder if I can call local PD and have them removed? LOL

Scary guns, scary posters....

CCJ
    I dunno, CCJ. Dracula is one thing, but Mick causes nightmares!

At least take the Mick poster down...for the children!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Would seem we have attracted another driveby - how unique.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Would seem we have attracted another driveby - how unique.
    Drive by without a gun...

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    Drive by without a gun...
    I LOL'd.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Centurion
    So that is a gunless drive by!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    So that is a gunless drive by!
    More like a gunless wonder.

BTW - I have faith and confidence that the OP will return and answer all of our questions as well as posting somewhat redacted copies of the pertinent documents. The Easter Bunny told me that the Tooth Fairy said he would.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

"firebird8675 has not made any friends yet"

I would like to hear more about this, but I agree with Skid, he may not return.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Banned
    I think he moved ... to Bel Air ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVbQo3IOC_A