• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Philadelphia police took gun from my house while I was at work, can I get it back?

firebird8675

Hello, I was at work and the lady I live with called the police and told them there was a loaded gun on my bed. The police came took the gun(which hasn't been fired since the previous owner) that had no bullets in it, and no bullets in the house at all, is there any way I can get it back? I just purchased it 3 weeks ago and have not even took it to the range yet.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Have you contacted the police? They are the ones with your gun, so they should have the answer not us keyboard commandos.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
There is a lot more to the story, starting with who owns the residence and what agreement there is that you both are living there.

And they didn't take it without paperwork. What does the paperwork say?

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Hello, I was at work and the lady I live with called the police and told them there was a loaded gun on my bed. The police came took the gun(which hasn't been fired since the previous owner) that had no bullets in it, and no bullets in the house at all, is there any way I can get it back? I just purchased it 3 weeks ago and have not even took it to the range yet.

1. Lose the woman.

2. Call LEO and ask why they took/stole YOUR property(not hers) and demand its return.

Bernymac

There was no police...the lady took your gun and sold it for some crack. Get rid of the lady.:shocker:

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
In all seriousness, a lot depends on the specific arrangement you had. Are/were you A) "living with" her as in sharing living quarters and any fringe benefits, or are/were you B) renting a room?

If A you may have to/want to charge her with theft/conversion of property, as she disposed of private property she had no legal right to dispose of.

If B you have all sorts of 4th Amendment issues to consider, but many of them hinge on where the bed was and whether or not you could control access to that space (lock the door?) as well as theft/conversion of private property.

In either case, the first step is to establish that you are the legal owner - paper records.

The next step is to get a copy of whatever paperwork the police created. (They did create at least a receipt, right?) It would also help to get her to sign a statement explaining what she did. (Do not bother going into why she did it.)

Find the police station the cops that took the gun came from. See the highest-ranking cop there even if you have to go through all the layers of underlings in order to get to him. Show up with a written complaint stating as much as yu factually know, and separately what you have been told by "the woman I'm living with" and anybody else that might know anything about what happened. (Have several copies with you.)

You might want to also check with the "evidence room" at the local police station to find out if they are holding your gun or if not where they think it probably went. Ask for copies of the "chain of evidence" form if they indicate that they have it/had it. Make sure that names and badge numbers are legible - ask for them to write them on the form if you cannot read them - and get them to initial/badge # + date any notations they make on your copy(ies).

Just so you know - there are a ot of unanswered matters that should be very easy for you to answer, starting with the receipt given for the gun.

Sadly, I am aware that there are some amazingly niave people out there. You might be one of them. But you can overcome that and one way is to answer the various questions asked.

stay safe.

Edited to add:

HOW DID YOU FIND OUT ABOUT OCDO AND WHY DID YOU CHOOSE TO ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE?

Last edited:

nobama

In all seriousness, a lot depends on the specific arrangement you had. Are/were you A) "living with" her as in sharing living quarters and any fringe benefits, or are/were you B) renting a room?

If A you may have to/want to charge her with theft/conversion of property, as she disposed of private property she had no legal right to dispose of.

If B you have all sorts of 4th Amendment issues to consider, but many of them hinge on where the bed was and whether or not you could control access to that space (lock the door?) as well as theft/conversion of private property.

In either case, the first step is to establish that you are the legal owner - paper records.

The next step is to get a copy of whatever paperwork the police created. (They did create at least a receipt, right?) It would also help to get her to sign a statement explaining what she did. (Do not bother going into why she did it.)

Find the police station the cops that took the gun came from. See the highest-ranking cop there even if you have to go through all the layers of underlings in order to get to him. Show up with a written complaint stating as much as yu factually know, and separately what you have been told by "the woman I'm living with" and anybody else that might know anything about what happened. (Have several copies with you.)

You might want to also check with the "evidence room" at the local police station to find out if they are holding your gun or if not where they think it probably went. Ask for copies of the "chain of evidence" form if they indicate that they have it/had it. Make sure that names and badge numbers are legible - ask for them to write them on the form if you cannot read them - and get them to initial/badge # + date any notations they make on your copy(ies).

Just so you know - there are a ot of unanswered matters that should be very easy for you to answer, starting with the receipt given for the gun.

Sadly, I am aware that there are some amazingly niave people out there. You might be one of them. But you can overcome that and one way is to answer the various questions asked.

stay safe.

Edited to add:

HOW DID YOU FIND OUT ABOUT OCDO AND WHY DID YOU CHOOSE TO ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE?
All good statements, but this sounds fishy to me. Why would the police just come into a home because someone said there was a gun on the bed. Their reply should have been "so". If you are not prohibited from owning a gun then I don't see why they would take it. Loose the girl!!

countryclubjoe

What a fishy first post...

My Grandchildren have scary posters of Dracula and Mick Jagger hanging in their bedroom, wonder if I can call local PD and have them removed? LOL

Scary guns, scary posters....

CCJ

b0neZ

What a fishy first post...

My Grandchildren have scary posters of Dracula and Mick Jagger hanging in their bedroom, wonder if I can call local PD and have them removed? LOL

Scary guns, scary posters....

CCJ

I dunno, CCJ. Dracula is one thing, but Mick causes nightmares!

At least take the Mick poster down...for the children!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
So that is a gunless drive by!

More like a gunless wonder.

BTW - I have faith and confidence that the OP will return and answer all of our questions as well as posting somewhat redacted copies of the pertinent documents. The Easter Bunny told me that the Tooth Fairy said he would.

stay safe.