Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40 VS 45 or another 9mm?

40 VS 45 or another 9mm?

I currently have a Glock 19 and am in the market for another Glock I want to choose between the 21 23 30 and 36 OR get the 26 to go with my 19 and im having a hard time picking one lol I know what the current prices are for 9mm ammo but what am I looking at for 40 or 45 ammo prices and what are the pros and cons vs the two?

I shoot reload and have carried all three in several different platforms.

Buy the one you like they all work.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    I'd go with the G23 next and then perhaps the G21.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

New technology bullets do a good job in any caliber. 9mm is he cheapest, funnest to shoot. Gt a g17 or g34. Plus you can share mags with g19.

I recommend 9. It hits just as hard and has lighter recoil, modern ammo eliminates most of the differences. The .45 glocks have a fat grip, if you have small woman hands like I do you'll find it difficult to shoot, but if you have fair size graspers you will find it easier. There's a girl I know slightly younger then me who enjoys the glock 21 but she has freakishly long Fingers, and I can't comfortably wrap around the 21 or 30.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Banned

.45 v. 9mm v .40 - not again !

Ahhhhhh !!!!!!

9?

real men carry a 10!!!

or an 11!

Too much hand wringing...
    -Go to LGS
    -Look at guns you think you like
    -Check wallet vis a vis cost you are willing to pay for ammo
    -Buy the pistol that attracts your attention
    -Buy ammunition that fits said handgun
    -Enjoy
    -Rinse
    -Repeat

I once heard that more people have been killed by the 22 LR than any other caliber. There is a video on the subject of 22 and 380, I will see if I can find it again.

Last edited by WalkingWolf; 07-01-2014 at 11:00 AM.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    I once heard that more people have been killed by the 22 LR than any other caliber. There is a video on the subject of 22 and 380, I will see if I can find it again.

I saw a lot of GSW as a paramedic. Most of those I pronounced or later died were shot with 22's, usually to the head but also to the torso. They fragment quite easily. Bigger caliber GSW weren't as fatal.

Sent from my Kindle via the NSA.
    Last edited by MackTheKnife; 07-01-2014 at 11:26 AM.
    Mack The Knife sends.

"Laech cach fer co bas" (Gaelic- "Everyman a warrior until death")
    "Bas no beatha" (McLean war cry- "Death or life")

Buy and shoot what you can hit with.

You buy a gun for self defense, not for:

Its looks....

How much knock down power the ammo has....

How much the gun cost ( there are inexpensive guns all over the place)....

How much the ammo costs....

Or anything else other then your ability to hit the target with the weapon you choose.

My old Marine, marksmanship instructor told me a long time ago.

You shoot what you can hit with, everything else is irrelavent...

Yes a 45 has more knock down power then a 22, but if you can't hit anything with a 45, its nothing more the a paper weight.

I would rather take my chances hitting the guy with 2, 3, 4 or even a dozen 22's then missing with all 6, 7 or 8 of the 45's.

If you can't hit with it, don't carry it.

IMO the 22 has two drawbacks. One the design of the case limits capacity to around 10 rounds, because of the rimmed case head. Two the quality of 22 ammo is not consistent as it used to be. One can be overcome by buying quality ammo, the other by choosing a handgun that has a good reputation for functioning with the 22.

I use smaller calibers around the yard, mostly a 32-20 police positive. I am repairing a FIE E15(22lr) for yard duty. It is all I need for snake and varmint duty. I hike and walk with larger calibers because there is always a slight chance a bear, and the reliability of the guns that shoot those calibers. I have more chance of a encounter with a dog than a criminal, and know that even the 9X18 is a effective stopper of a full size pitbull on a charge.

Unfortunately for the OP he has limited himself to the Glock line, when there are so many other good handguns out there. I am going eventually get a 22 for back up and yard duty.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Lthrnck View Post

Its looks....

Or anything else other then your ability to hit the target with the weapon you choose.

Yes a 45 has more knock down power then a 22, but if you can't hit anything with a 45, its nothing more the a paper weight.

I would rather take my chances hitting the guy with 2, 3, 4 or even a dozen 22's then missing with all 6, 7 or 8 of the 45's.

There is actually a way to achieve the "shoot what you can hit with" mantra. It is very very relevant. It is called "practice". I bet your old Marine marksmanship instructor did a lot of those

With this method you can hit a target with any weapon you choose, be it pretty, ugly, high priced, low priced, expensive, odd caliber, etc.

Practice...?

Quote Originally Posted by Bernymac View Post
    There is actually a way to achieve the "shoot what you can hit with" mantra. It is very very relevant. It is called "practice". I bet your old Marine marksmanship instructor did a lot of those

With this method you can hit a target with any weapon you choose, be it pretty, ugly, high priced, low priced, expensive, odd caliber, etc.
    I will agree with you to a certain point on this Berny...

But there are some conditions or factors that even practice cannot over come. So shoot what you can hit with.

WW nice video post I needed a good one for the day.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Hey?! You forgot .357 sig!

Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions everyone I am just very familiar and comfortable with Glock as the 19 is the first gun I started out with as a carry piece(And hey if its good enough for the majority of the worlds police forces its good enough for me lol) I decided to go with the 23 40 cal and sometime in the future I want to get the 30.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by brad98801 View Post
    Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions everyone I am just very familiar and comfortable with Glock as the 19 is the first gun I started out with as a carry piece(And hey if its good enough for the majority of the worlds police forces its good enough for me lol) I decided to go with the 23 40 cal and sometime in the future I want to get the 30.
    I have two gen3 G23's, one of which is my primary carry gun. I do alternate with my gen3 G19 at times. You picked a fine combat handgun in the Glock 23. One well known gun writer believes it to be the best combat handgun available. My personal take is that it is a fine piece and there are a lot of really fine handguns out there from which to choose. You didn't make any mistakes with the Glock 23.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lthrnck View Post

Its looks....

I buy a gun for whatever reason I want to. And yes looks often play into it. It is irrelevant what others think I should buy a gun for.

To the OP, buy what is comfortable in my opinion. If it ain't comfortable it won't shoot well for you, in my experience at least.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

many years ago i made a conscious decision to stick to one calibre ~ then purchased the best firearm i could afford in that calibre which met my strident criteria...

when i had saved up another couple bucks, after researching options, i moved up model, or two, to 'better handling' firearms to meet my changing needs.

i now have sufficient ammo as money was spent on only one calibre when i could find it at an affordable price to match my firearm(s).

zombies beware...

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    ... which met my strident criteria...
    I don't think that word means what you think it does...
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

I sometimes carry a .380 or a .45 Auto. I'll probably carry my .380 more as it's less than half the weight of my .45 Auto, which is a Hi-Point, and my .380 is a Llama.
    Last edited by Chief Ten Beers; 07-04-2014 at 12:14 AM.
    If you're not ashamed to own it, don't be ashamed to open carry it.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaShooter View Post
    I don't think that word means what you think it does...
    i am truly glad the buckeye man's attention to detail is at such a heighten state but i truly hope your perception of my post wasn't misconstrued due to an auto-correct spelling error.

glad you had the grammer police shift last night, it is good to know that is the reason i slept so soundly...

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    i truly hope your perception of my post wasn't misconstrued due to an auto-correct spelling error.
    Indeed not, though I'll admit to chuckling at the thought of you being strident in the pursuit of your requirements.

Oh, and I prefer to think of it as Grammar Community Watch, not Grammar Police.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast