• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

40 VS 45 or another 9mm?

solus

many years ago i made a conscious decision to stick to one calibre ~ then purchased the best firearm i could afford in that calibre which met my strident criteria...

when i had saved up another couple bucks, after researching options, i moved up model, or two, to 'better handling' firearms to meet my changing needs.

i now have sufficient ammo as money was spent on only one calibre when i could find it at an affordable price to match my firearm(s).

zombies beware...

ipse

Chief Ten Beers

I sometimes carry a .380 or a .45 Auto. I'll probably carry my .380 more as it's less than half the weight of my .45 Auto, which is a Hi-Point, and my .380 is a Llama. :monkey

Last edited:

solus

I don't think that word means what you think it does... :uhoh:

i am truly glad the buckeye man's attention to detail is at such a heighten state but i truly hope your perception of my post wasn't misconstrued due to an auto-correct spelling error.

glad you had the grammer police shift last night, it is good to know that is the reason i slept so soundly...

ipse

JustaShooter

i truly hope your perception of my post wasn't misconstrued due to an auto-correct spelling error.

Indeed not, though I'll admit to chuckling at the thought of you being strident in the pursuit of your requirements.

Oh, and I prefer to think of it as Grammar Community Watch, not Grammar Police. ;)

solus

Indeed not, though I'll admit to chuckling at the thought of you being strident in the pursuit of your requirements.

Oh, and I prefer to think of it as Grammar Community Watch, not Grammar Police. ;)

oh ya that worked so well with zimmerman didn't it...hummm

ipse

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
The technique I learned in the military was "two to the heart, one to the head." If I'd opted for larger ammo, with an 6 or 7-round magazine, that technique doesn't leave a lot of ammo left for a bad guy's friends. Thus, I opted for the 17-round, 9 mm option (16 round mags, one in the pipe).

Above all else, remaining calm, effectively using cover (something most home defenders are rarely taught), and accuracy are each more effective than larger ammo. Together, they make all the difference in the world.

Last edited:

DWCook

Activist Member
I'm good with 40/45 and 9mm, been practicing years for it. But up here in Alaska I also have to deal with wild life that feels the need to play chicken. I think I may go with the S&W 1911 .45 due to the being a much better platform in my opinion. The .40/9mm is good against other people, but wild life you would be screwed beyond belief up here with those calibers.

WalkingWolf

I'm good with 40/45 and 9mm, been practicing years for it. But up here in Alaska I also have to deal with wild life that feels the need to play chicken. I think I may go with the S&W 1911 .45 due to the being a much better platform in my opinion. The .40/9mm is good against other people, but wild life you would be screwed beyond belief up here with those calibers.

Honestly if you are in Alaska and going with a 45 ACP I suggest you have your 1911 updated to fire 45 Super. I wouldn't count on a a 45 ACP for large bears.

When I hike I carry a 44 magnum rifle and revolver.

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

If I were to carry a 45acp for bear protection I would carry my own 255gr hard cast SWCs at 875fps or the Buffalo bore 250gr hard cast at 925fps.

I much prefer a 44 mag or modern 45 colt with a 300 plus gr WFN hard cast at some where over 1000fps my Redhawk shoots a 315gr hard cast WFN at 1280fps and well shoot through 4 feet of bear seen it done.

But any gun is better then no gun when you need one.

mobiushky

Seems like a good old Highpoint .45 would do the trick...

http://peninsulaclarion.com/news/2014-07-14/brown-bear-killed-at-sterling-residence

Couple points though to note about this incident. 1, the guy was on an upper level deck of the house so he had plenty of time to aim down at the bear and was not in a rush to draw. 2, it took 7 shots and the bear still didn't die right away. 3, the bear was able to run 50 feet before it finally collapsed. So, yes a .45 will take down a 9 foot brown. BUT, if that 9 foot brown is running at you on the ground, it's probably going to get to you before it goes down and you will probably have to accept some minor scrapes and bruises from it's teeth and claws. (Minor if you consider 3" deep cuts and pieces of your muscle taken out to be minor.) And you'll need to be sure those 7 shots are all taken in less than a second because a brown can cover 50 feet in right about a second.

HPmatt

I don't think that word means what you think it does... :uhoh:

Vizzini: HE DIDN'T FALL? INCONCEIVABLE.
Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

One of my favorite lines of any movie....:)

mobiushky

Why I carry a 45 ACP. Good luck 9mm.

Alaska Man Uses .45 Handgun to Kill 9ft Grizzly Trying to Get Into His House

It took 7 rounds but 230 grain slug of lead is not small. It has a ton of energy.

http://www.adn.com/article/20140715/sterling-man-kills-9-foot-grizzly-trying-break-his-home

Whoa! De ja vu! this is eerily similar to the post just two up... #31.

PS, this story is a very bad reason to choose a .45. I seriously doubt you will have a second story advantage on your attackers (mainly because that wouldn't really show immediate threat to your life) and I doubt you'll have the chance to place 7 well aimed shots on your subject. Plus the fact that the bear still ran 50 feet after.... But yeah. If you choose a .45, that's great, but this story doesn't back up that choice at all. Given the circumstances, it's likely any firearms would have worked.

exelci

5.7x28

SS198 = 28grain HP (that jaws), ~2150-2200fps (out of the pistol)
x20 or 30 with extended mag. Problem solver.

mikeyb

Seems like a good old Highpoint .45 would do the trick...

http://peninsulaclarion.com/news/2014-07-14/brown-bear-killed-at-sterling-residence

Couple points though to note about this incident. 1, the guy was on an upper level deck of the house so he had plenty of time to aim down at the bear and was not in a rush to draw. 2, it took 7 shots and the bear still didn't die right away. 3, the bear was able to run 50 feet before it finally collapsed. So, yes a .45 will take down a 9 foot brown. BUT, if that 9 foot brown is running at you on the ground, it's probably going to get to you before it goes down and you will probably have to accept some minor scrapes and bruises from it's teeth and claws. (Minor if you consider 3" deep cuts and pieces of your muscle taken out to be minor.) And you'll need to be sure those 7 shots are all taken in less than a second because a brown can cover 50 feet in right about a second.

Why I carry a 45 ACP. Good luck 9mm.

Alaska Man Uses .45 Handgun to Kill 9ft Grizzly Trying to Get Into His House

It took 7 rounds but 230 grain slug of lead is not small. It has a ton of energy.

http://www.adn.com/article/20140715/sterling-man-kills-9-foot-grizzly-trying-break-his-home

Whoa! De ja vu! this is eerily similar to the post just two up... #31.

PS, this story is a very bad reason to choose a .45. I seriously doubt you will have a second story advantage on your attackers (mainly because that wouldn't really show immediate threat to your life) and I doubt you'll have the chance to place 7 well aimed shots on your subject. Plus the fact that the bear still ran 50 feet after.... But yeah. If you choose a .45, that's great, but this story doesn't back up that choice at all. Given the circumstances, it's likely any firearms would have worked.

I heard about that a few days ago. What isn't reported is that only 1 shot hit the bear. According to his son, one shot went through the lung.

Related, there was a guy in Alaska a few years ago that was charged by a grizzly, he shot 7 rounds of .45 at it, it finally turned away to die some 100 yards off the trail.

The thing about bears is their foreheads are thicker than Feinstein's and Biden's combined. You need penetration.

mobiushky

I heard about that a few days ago. What isn't reported is that only 1 shot hit the bear. According to his son, one shot went through the lung.

Related, there was a guy in Alaska a few years ago that was charged by a grizzly, he shot 7 rounds of .45 at it, it finally turned away to die some 100 yards off the trail.

The thing about bears is their foreheads are thicker than Feinstein's and Biden's combined. You need penetration.

I sent Jim a note on FB to clarify just to be sure. I'll let you know if he responds. I don't know him personally, but we are both part of a group on FB. Also, there was a guy a couple years back that had to shoot a bear charging him and his dog. Probably after the dog. He fired 2 or 3 shots from a 454 Casull to stop that bear. There's a big difference between shooting from a high perch with all the time in the world and taking shots at a 900 lb bear charging you at 35 mph.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I sent Jim a note on FB to clarify just to be sure. I'll let you know if he responds. I don't know him personally, but we are both part of a group on FB. Also, there was a guy a couple years back that had to shoot a bear charging him and his dog. Probably after the dog. He fired 2 or 3 shots from a 454 Casull to stop that bear. There's a big difference between shooting from a high perch with all the time in the world and taking shots at a 900 lb bear charging you at 35 mph.

Here's one story about it

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...34HQAg&usg=AFQjCNGMSUDT8UlQSjp_koSg3uO1BArW2w

Last edited:

mobiushky

OK, uh, I don't really need loreal cosmetics... LOL

So I'm talking to Jim (the guy who shot the bear on Kenai with the Hi-Point .45 in early July '14). Here's his response about the shots he took and landed etc:

I fired two shots through its vitals,,five more towards it as it was running off. One of the 2 first shots took it down,,but i only have one of the bullets that went completly through it that i salvaged... ...,and the mainstream media kinda blew it all outta wack as usual,,the bear measured about 8.25 ft,,im pretty confident in the firearm i used and the ammo i had in it.

For the record he had Blazer FMJ in the Hi-Point.

In response to the people who say he should've had X, Y, or Z he says:

i guess i shoulda warmed up my fighter jet and flew over my house launching a missile.

LOL!

ETA: yes, one of the first two shots killed the bear, but even after a fatal wound the bear ran off approx 50 feet before it died. That's important to keep in mind. The bear lived long enough to run 50 feet after essentially being killed. CNS, period.

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

OK, uh, I don't really need loreal cosmetics... LOL

So I'm talking to Jim (the guy who shot the bear). Here's his response about the shots he took and landed etc:

For the record he had Blazer FMJ in the Hi-Point.

In response to the people who say he should've had X, Y, or Z he says:

LOL!

ETA: yes, one of the first two shots killed the bear, but even after a fatal wound the bear ran off approx 50 feet before it died. That's important to keep in mind. The bear lived long enough to run 50 feet after essentially being killed. CNS, period.

Don't know where that linked jump in from wow

Lets try this one

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...34HQAg&usg=AFQjCNGMSUDT8UlQSjp_koSg3uO1BArW2w

Last edited: