• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

40 VS 45 or another 9mm?

brad98801

I currently have a Glock 19 and am in the market for another Glock I want to choose between the 21 23 30 and 36 OR get the 26 to go with my 19 and im having a hard time picking one lol I know what the current prices are for 9mm ammo but what am I looking at for 40 or 45 ammo prices and what are the pros and cons vs the two?

Kopis

New technology bullets do a good job in any caliber. 9mm is he cheapest, funnest to shoot. Gt a g17 or g34. Plus you can share mags with g19.

EMNofSeattle

I recommend 9. It hits just as hard and has lighter recoil, modern ammo eliminates most of the differences. The .45 glocks have a fat grip, if you have small woman hands like I do you'll find it difficult to shoot, but if you have fair size graspers you will find it easier. There's a girl I know slightly younger then me who enjoys the glock 21 but she has freakishly long Fingers, and I can't comfortably wrap around the 21 or 30.

Bernymac

Too much hand wringing...
-Go to LGS
-Look at guns you think you like
-Check wallet vis a vis cost you are willing to pay for ammo
-Buy the pistol that attracts your attention
-Buy ammunition that fits said handgun
-Enjoy
-Rinse
-Repeat

:banana:

WalkingWolf

I once heard that more people have been killed by the 22 LR than any other caliber. There is a video on the subject of 22 and 380, I will see if I can find it again.

[video=youtube;hdr14xVetXM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdr14xVetXM[/video]

Last edited:

MackTheKnife

I once heard that more people have been killed by the 22 LR than any other caliber. There is a video on the subject of 22 and 380, I will see if I can find it again.

[video=youtube;hdr14xVetXM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdr14xVetXM[/video]

I saw a lot of GSW as a paramedic. Most of those I pronounced or later died were shot with 22's, usually to the head but also to the torso. They fragment quite easily. Bigger caliber GSW weren't as fatal.

Sent from my Kindle via the NSA.

Last edited:

Lthrnck

Buy and shoot what you can hit with.

You buy a gun for self defense, not for:

Its looks....

How much knock down power the ammo has....

How much the gun cost ( there are inexpensive guns all over the place)....

How much the ammo costs....

Or anything else other then your ability to hit the target with the weapon you choose.

My old Marine, marksmanship instructor told me a long time ago.

You shoot what you can hit with, everything else is irrelavent...

Yes a 45 has more knock down power then a 22, but if you can't hit anything with a 45, its nothing more the a paper weight.

I would rather take my chances hitting the guy with 2, 3, 4 or even a dozen 22's then missing with all 6, 7 or 8 of the 45's.

If you can't hit with it, don't carry it.

WalkingWolf

IMO the 22 has two drawbacks. One the design of the case limits capacity to around 10 rounds, because of the rimmed case head. Two the quality of 22 ammo is not consistent as it used to be. One can be overcome by buying quality ammo, the other by choosing a handgun that has a good reputation for functioning with the 22.

I use smaller calibers around the yard, mostly a 32-20 police positive. I am repairing a FIE E15(22lr) for yard duty. It is all I need for snake and varmint duty. I hike and walk with larger calibers because there is always a slight chance a bear, and the reliability of the guns that shoot those calibers. I have more chance of a encounter with a dog than a criminal, and know that even the 9X18 is a effective stopper of a full size pitbull on a charge.

Unfortunately for the OP he has limited himself to the Glock line, when there are so many other good handguns out there. I am going eventually get a 22 for back up and yard duty.

Bernymac

Its looks....

Or anything else other then your ability to hit the target with the weapon you choose.

Yes a 45 has more knock down power then a 22, but if you can't hit anything with a 45, its nothing more the a paper weight.

I would rather take my chances hitting the guy with 2, 3, 4 or even a dozen 22's then missing with all 6, 7 or 8 of the 45's.

There is actually a way to achieve the "shoot what you can hit with" mantra. It is very very relevant. It is called "practice". I bet your old Marine marksmanship instructor did a lot of those :lol:

With this method you can hit a target with any weapon you choose, be it pretty, ugly, high priced, low priced, expensive, odd caliber, etc. :D

Lthrnck

Practice...?

There is actually a way to achieve the "shoot what you can hit with" mantra. It is very very relevant. It is called "practice". I bet your old Marine marksmanship instructor did a lot of those :lol:

With this method you can hit a target with any weapon you choose, be it pretty, ugly, high priced, low priced, expensive, odd caliber, etc. :D

I will agree with you to a certain point on this Berny...

But there are some conditions or factors that even practice cannot over come. So shoot what you can hit with.

brad98801

Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions everyone I am just very familiar and comfortable with Glock as the 19 is the first gun I started out with as a carry piece(And hey if its good enough for the majority of the worlds police forces its good enough for me lol) I decided to go with the 23 40 cal and sometime in the future I want to get the 30.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions everyone I am just very familiar and comfortable with Glock as the 19 is the first gun I started out with as a carry piece(And hey if its good enough for the majority of the worlds police forces its good enough for me lol) I decided to go with the 23 40 cal and sometime in the future I want to get the 30.

I have two gen3 G23's, one of which is my primary carry gun. I do alternate with my gen3 G19 at times. You picked a fine combat handgun in the Glock 23. One well known gun writer believes it to be the best combat handgun available. My personal take is that it is a fine piece and there are a lot of really fine handguns out there from which to choose. You didn't make any mistakes with the Glock 23.

sudden valley gunner

Its looks....

I buy a gun for whatever reason I want to. And yes looks often play into it. It is irrelevant what others think I should buy a gun for.

To the OP, buy what is comfortable in my opinion. If it ain't comfortable it won't shoot well for you, in my experience at least.