Thread: Has an Oc'er, in modern times, ever been in a gun fight?

Regular Member self preservation's Avatar

Has an Oc'er, in modern times, ever been in a gun fight?

Not to start the old OC vs. CC debate, but all of the defensive shootings that I hear about are from CC'ers. I even went to YouTube.com and searched "conceal carry vs. criminal" and "Open carry vs. criminal." The CC videos show captured footage of shoot outs between CC'ers and criminals. The OC video's show mostly police encounters and OC'ers, but no defensive shooting from OC'ers.

This leads me to the old belief that OC is a true deterrent. It drives me nuts when an ardent CC'er says "I carry concealed so I can have the element of surprise." To me, if given between option A) To have the element of surprise against my attacker. Or option B) To not have an attacker in the first place, my smarts tell me to always pick option B.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Ahh but you have to remember, not everyone remembers to use their smarts.
    Advocate freedom please

Centurion

Not that I recall. I think you are onto something.

Quote Originally Posted by self preservation View Post
    Not to start the old OC vs. CC debate, but all of the defensive shootings that I hear about are from CC'ers. I even went to YouTube.com and searched "conceal carry vs. criminal" and "Open carry vs. criminal." The CC videos show captured footage of shoot outs between CC'ers and criminals. The OC video's show mostly police encounters and OC'ers, but no defensive shooting from OC'ers.

This leads me to the old belief that OC is a true deterrent. It drives me nuts when an ardent CC'er says "I carry concealed so I can have the element of surprise." To me, if given between option A) To have the element of surprise against my attacker. Or option B) To not have an attacker in the first place, my smarts tell me to always pick option B.

I do not recall any hunters being robbed either. They are open carriers.

I guess one could argue that the CC'ers outnumber OC'ers in a big way, but I still argue that OC is a deterrent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

n.

One shootout that I know of in Virginia, the open carrier shot a armed robber who had shot a clerk. OCer was uninjured, not so much for the robber, he perished.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    One shootout that I know of in Virginia, the open carrier shot a armed robber who had shot a clerk. OCer was uninjured, not so much for the robber, he perished.
    You beat me to the punch on this one. I was going to mention this case, too. The citizen used a single action revolver as I recall when he dispatched the BG.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    You beat me to the punch on this one. I was going to mention this case, too. The citizen used a single action revolver as I recall when he dispatched the BG.
    Got to know the good guy fairly well.

Read the story here:
    http://blasphemes.blogspot.com/2009/...ut-update.html
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

you have once again proved you are a gentleman and a scholar grape...

thanks for sharing...

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by The article
    Finally White Hat spotted Black Hat at the front of an aisle standing in the open.

Much to his surprise, White discovered that when he dove hard for the floor he had somehow broken the trigger on his gun!

But the gun was a single action, so White pushed himself up with one arm, aimed the gun, pulled the hammer back and let it fly forward - twice.
    Woah. And under stress too.
    Seems it just might pay off to watch the Dollars Trilogy.

Good to hear the good guys came out alive, if only a bit worse for wear.
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 07-01-2014 at 11:31 PM.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

You also have to factor in there are a lot more people who CC than there are that OC. It might happen to people who OC and just never gets caught on cam. Although I rarely hear of it happening at all.

Quote Originally Posted by fox2102 View Post
    You also have to factor in there are a lot more people who CC than there are that OC. It might happen to people who OC and just never gets caught on cam. Although I rarely hear of it happening at all.
    Even lacking video footage, you never hear off an OC'er being involved in a defensive shooting. Could be because we are heavily outnumbered by CC'ers, or OC is just one hell of a deterrent.

n.

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by self preservation View Post
    Even lacking video footage, you never hear off an OC'er being involved in a defensive shooting. Could be because we are heavily outnumbered by CC'ers, or OC is just one hell of a deterrent.
    I consider the combination of both options present related to CC / OC to be a possibility too!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

I just read the story, and I like the gun he used, that's right up my alley. An 1875 Remington Army replica, which means Uberti. Sort of makes me want to carry mine.
    If you're not ashamed to own it, don't be ashamed to open carry it.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

Banned
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_...ens_%281946%29

Would the Battle of Athens meet the OP's requirements?

All I know is that, when I go to the local Wally World late at night, the assorted creatures I see prowling around the parking lot seem to suddenly realize they have urgent business elsewhere. This usually happens as soon as I pass into a lighted area and my gun becomes visible to them.

I do not consider myself to be intimidating. I am six foot, two inches, slightly overweight, and seventy years old. My theory is that two things contribute to the changes of attitude: 1. My head is on a swivel even before I exit my car. I am not on a cell phone, not arguing with the wife, do not have those idiotic "buds" in my ears, nor am I otherwise distracted. 2. The presence of a holstered, unmistakably real firearm on my right hip.

Were I carrying concealed, I don't think I would see the abrupt changes in direction that I see. No, I am not going to go to Wally World at night carrying concealed to test the theory!
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."