• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Has an Oc'er, in modern times, ever been in a gun fight?

self preservation

Not to start the old OC vs. CC debate, but all of the defensive shootings that I hear about are from CC'ers. I even went to YouTube.com and searched "conceal carry vs. criminal" and "Open carry vs. criminal." The CC videos show captured footage of shoot outs between CC'ers and criminals. The OC video's show mostly police encounters and OC'ers, but no defensive shooting from OC'ers.

This leads me to the old belief that OC is a true deterrent. It drives me nuts when an ardent CC'er says "I carry concealed so I can have the element of surprise." To me, if given between option A) To have the element of surprise against my attacker. Or option B) To not have an attacker in the first place, my smarts tell me to always pick option B. :)

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Not that I recall. I think you are onto something.

Not to start the old OC vs. CC debate, but all of the defensive shootings that I hear about are from CC'ers. I even went to YouTube.com and searched "conceal carry vs. criminal" and "Open carry vs. criminal." The CC videos show captured footage of shoot outs between CC'ers and criminals. The OC video's show mostly police encounters and OC'ers, but no defensive shooting from OC'ers.

This leads me to the old belief that OC is a true deterrent. It drives me nuts when an ardent CC'er says "I carry concealed so I can have the element of surprise." To me, if given between option A) To have the element of surprise against my attacker. Or option B) To not have an attacker in the first place, my smarts tell me to always pick option B. :)

I do not recall any hunters being robbed either. They are open carriers.

self preservation

I guess one could argue that the CC'ers outnumber OC'ers in a big way, but I still argue that OC is a deterrent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WalkingWolf

One shootout that I know of in Virginia, the open carrier shot a armed robber who had shot a clerk. OCer was uninjured, not so much for the robber, he perished.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
One shootout that I know of in Virginia, the open carrier shot a armed robber who had shot a clerk. OCer was uninjured, not so much for the robber, he perished.

You beat me to the punch on this one. I was going to mention this case, too. The citizen used a single action revolver as I recall when he dispatched the BG.

Got to know the good guy fairly well.

Read the story here:
http://blasphemes.blogspot.com/2009/07/golden-food-market-shootout-update.html

solus

you have once again proved you are a gentleman and a scholar grape...

thanks for sharing...

ipse

Rusty Young Man

The article said:
Finally White Hat spotted Black Hat at the front of an aisle standing in the open.

Much to his surprise, White discovered that when he dove hard for the floor he had somehow broken the trigger on his gun!

But the gun was a single action, so White pushed himself up with one arm, aimed the gun, pulled the hammer back and let it fly forward - twice.

Woah. And under stress too.:shocker:
Seems it just might pay off to watch the Dollars Trilogy.;)

Good to hear the good guys came out alive, if only a bit worse for wear.:)

Last edited:

fox2102

You also have to factor in there are a lot more people who CC than there are that OC. It might happen to people who OC and just never gets caught on cam. Although I rarely hear of it happening at all.

self preservation

You also have to factor in there are a lot more people who CC than there are that OC. It might happen to people who OC and just never gets caught on cam. Although I rarely hear of it happening at all.

Even lacking video footage, you never hear off an OC'er being involved in a defensive shooting. Could be because we are heavily outnumbered by CC'ers, or OC is just one hell of a deterrent.

Chief Ten Beers

I just read the story, and I like the gun he used, that's right up my alley. An 1875 Remington Army replica, which means Uberti. ;) Sort of makes me want to carry mine. :monkey

SFCRetired

All I know is that, when I go to the local Wally World late at night, the assorted creatures I see prowling around the parking lot seem to suddenly realize they have urgent business elsewhere. This usually happens as soon as I pass into a lighted area and my gun becomes visible to them.

I do not consider myself to be intimidating. I am six foot, two inches, slightly overweight, and seventy years old. My theory is that two things contribute to the changes of attitude: 1. My head is on a swivel even before I exit my car. I am not on a cell phone, not arguing with the wife, do not have those idiotic "buds" in my ears, nor am I otherwise distracted. 2. The presence of a holstered, unmistakably real firearm on my right hip.

Were I carrying concealed, I don't think I would see the abrupt changes in direction that I see. No, I am not going to go to Wally World at night carrying concealed to test the theory!:lol: