• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Headline - "Open Carry:Group armed with long guns stroll weekly through Carytown"

Thundar

That is my read also WW see the Va. Code Ann. § 18.2-308.7 referenced here - there are a few restrictions.

§ 18.2-308.7. Possession or transportation of certain firearms by persons under the age of 18; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person under 18 years of age to knowingly and intentionally possess or transport a handgun or assault firearm anywhere in the Commonwealth. For the purposes of this section, "handgun" means any pistol or revolver or other firearm originally designed, made and intended to fire single or multiple projectiles by means of an explosion of a combustible material from one or more barrels when held in one hand and "assault firearm" means any (i) semi-automatic centerfire rifle or pistol which expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine which will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (ii) shotgun with a magazine which will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered. A violation of this section shall be a Class 1 misdemeanor.

This section shall not apply to:

1. Any person (i) while in his home or on his property; (ii) while in the home or on the property of his parent, grandparent, or legal guardian; or (iii) while on the property of another who has provided prior permission, and with the prior permission of his parent or legal guardian if the person has the landowner's written permission on his person while on such property;

2. Any person who, while accompanied by an adult, is at, or going to and from, a lawful shooting range or firearms educational class, provided that the weapons are unloaded while being transported;

3. Any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or going to and from a hunting area or preserve, provided that the weapons are unloaded while being transported; and

4. Any person while carrying out his duties in the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard of this Commonwealth or any other state.
---------
So, to answer your question Walking Wolf, no a minor cannot legally bear a handgun in Virginia. There are of course exceptions, but a 16 year old breaks the law by carrying a holstered handgun to McDonalds, but that same 16 year old does not break the law by carrying a slung Mosin Nagant 91/30 to buy an Egg McMuffin.

Xifex

Hope you all had a wonderful 4th with friends and family. I was not with the two guys you are talking about that day. I also understand how those that are anti-gun rage at the fact that anyone is carrying then those that concealed carry rage at the open carriers and all those that carry rage at the anti-gun folks. Man that's a revolving circle...:banghead:

Yes, Jason and those that go with them support open / concealed carry and I've spoken with Jason on several occasions and he's wanting to promote constitutional carry. I myself don't see open carry practical with rifles in a state that does not allow you to carry a long gun loaded in addition, I'd be worried about over penetration. So i felt it appropriate to open carry just my handgun within Virginia state regulations. If someone wants to carry a rifle that is their choice so long as they abide by federal and state laws. I do understand why some may question the intelligence just based on their appearance and the literacy for the Facebook announcements. Yes, Jason may not express himself so well in text but prefers to verbally express himself.

I thank you for expressing your thoughts and hope that we might exchange some great ideas to further the pro-gun cause and its also fun to find others to visit a local range with or who enjoy collecting firearms.

SovereignAxe

A rant:

The rabid anti gunner says:

"No one should be able to carry guns because I don't like it!"

followed by a myriad of excuses to justify the desire to be in control of what other people do.

The gun owning anti gunner lite says:

"You shouldn't carry a gun like that, or carry a gun in a place like that, or carry that particular gun, or dress like that while carrying a gun, because I don't like it."

followed by a myriad of excuses to justify the desire to be in control of what other people do.

I am continually dismayed to see so many folks who say they support the right to bear arms come up with so many excuses to justify the fact that they really only support bearing arms in ways they personally think are "reasonable", "appropriate", and "acceptable" never understanding that perspective is the exact same perspective of the anti gunner who thinks bearing arms itself is "unreasonable", "inappropriate", and "unacceptable". The only difference is the severity of degree of the restrictions upon the right to bear arms desired.

Neither the rabid anti gunner nor the gun owning anti gunner lite care about the right to bear arms... but both share the desire to be in control of what is "reasonable", "appropriate", and "acceptable" ....... for other people to be allowed to do. Please note the word "allowed" because the perspective that people should only be "allowed" when it comes to rights exposes the desire to be the one who is in charge of the "allowing".

End rant.

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that OCDO had reversed its policy on supporting the open carrying of long guns. I seems that I drank the kool-aid from earlier times and had been misguided.

I take back everything I said about open carrying a Mosin-Nagant. Maybe I should go pull mine out of the safe and start carrying it as well. It's still is a nice, fun gun to shoot after all, despite its shortcomings and outdated design...

WalkingWolf

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that OCDO had reversed its policy on supporting the open carrying of long guns. I seems that I drank the kool-aid from earlier times and had been misguided.

I take back everything I said about open carrying a Mosin-Nagant. Maybe I should go pull mine out of the safe and start carrying it as well. It's still is a nice, fun gun to shoot after all, despite its shortcomings and outdated design...

Nobody is making you read or comment on long gun carry.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

There has been no reversal of policy. Just a softer, gentler position where some discussion is permitted, but not encouraged - the focus on OCDO is normalizing and defending OC of handguns as we go about our everyday lives.

B

Bikenut

Originally Posted by Bikenut

A rant:

The rabid anti gunner says:

"No one should be able to carry guns because I don't like it!"

The gun owning anti gunner lite says:

"You shouldn't carry a gun like that, or carry a gun in a place like that, or carry that particular gun, or dress like that while carrying a gun, because I don't like it."

I am continually dismayed to see so many folks who say they support the right to bear arms come up with so many excuses to justify the fact that they really only support bearing arms in ways they personally think are "reasonable", "appropriate", and "acceptable" never understanding that perspective is the exact same perspective of the anti gunner who thinks bearing arms itself is "unreasonable", "inappropriate", and "unacceptable". The only difference is the severity of degree of the restrictions upon the right to bear arms desired.

Neither the rabid anti gunner nor the gun owning anti gunner lite care about the right to bear arms... but both share the desire to be in control of what is "reasonable", "appropriate", and "acceptable" ....... for other people to be allowed to do. Please note the word "allowed" because the perspective that people should only be "allowed" when it comes to rights exposes the desire to be the one who is in charge of the "allowing".

End rant.

I'm sorry. I wasn't aware that I had singled out any particular type of carry/arms but I do know I was addressing those who say they support the right to bear arms but do not support the bearing of arms they think are not "reasonable" in places and/or ways they think are not "appropriate" by people who aren't dressed "acceptably". Please note my rant doesn't apply to those who do not fit the above description.

It wasn't so very long ago that many gun owners thought carrying a sidearm openly was "unreasonable" and it was "inappropriate" to open carry in public and those who did open carry in public were only interested in "unacceptably" shoving the right to bear arms in everyone face .

Yes OCDO is focused on the legal carry of pistols (and by extension the right to bear arms... or am I mistaken about that part?) but nowhere in my post you quoted (or this reply) did I even mention anything other than people who say they support the right to bear arms yet want that right restricted according to their opinion as to what is "reasonable", "appropriate" and .. especially to them ... "acceptable". And I drew the parallel that gun owners who want to restrict the right to bear arms to their opinion of what is "reasonable", "appropriate", and "acceptable" are wanting the exact same thing the rabid anti gunner wants and the only difference is a matter of degree of....... restricting.

And I bow to the judgement of Grapeshot as to whether I have violated any of OCDO's policies/rules ... especially since I am on record as supporting the right of the private property owner to make policies/rules and his representative having the authority to enforce said policies/rules.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The view from where I sit is unencumbered by broken rules or bodies of friends defending them :)

Xifex

The three of them are not walking to get in a firefight, and all three are carrying loaded handguns. But let's put that aside and take a look at the tactical advantage of a three man fireteam, They only missing a machine gunner and an assistant gunner, for five man team. Anybody would have to be a fool thinking they could take these three out because one of them had a mosin nagant.

I've tried loading a mosin with stripper clips and still have proficiency issues loading it expeditiously. Though i've seen it done by others on youtube.

Thundar

4 drops of gun oil

I've tried loading a mosin with stripper clips and still have proficiency issues loading it expeditiously. Though i've seen it done by others on youtube.

one drop of gun oil on each inside rail of the clip and one drop on the outside of each rail can really help, especially the drops on the inside rails if you are loading non brass cartridges.

B

Bikenut

A comment, and this time I will mention LGOC:

I am reminded of hearing the old crap about ....no one needs a gun except for hunting... when I hear someone say ...carrying a long gun makes no sense because it is a poor choice of tools for self defense....

Thing is....

Carrying a gun, long gun or pistol, for the express purpose of making a political statement is equally as valid as any of the myriad of reasons there are for carrying a gun.

I open carry my pistol for:

1. Self defense.
2. Create opportunities to engage in discussions about the legalities of open carry.
3. Make a political statement concerning the right to bear arms by actually getting off my duff and putting action to my beliefs beyond mere letter writing by walking the walk.

And if someone is LGOC for the purpose of making a political statement ... not only is the person exercising their right to bear arms but they are also exercising their right to free speech.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thundar

No Boxcars

Why does the government want to ban Assault Rifles?

Because you won't get in the box car willingly.

Same mentality for Long Gun Open Carry. It is a mark of a free man, not a government slave.

I know, I know, there is no such thing as an assault rifle.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--
I know, I know, there is no such thing as an assault rifle.

Yes there is in Virginia:

........"assault firearm" means any (i) semi-automatic centerfire rifle or pistol which expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine which will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (ii) shotgun with a magazine which will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered.
https://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.7

OC Freedom

Yes there is in Virginia:

........"assault firearm" means any (i) semi-automatic centerfire rifle or pistol which expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine which will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (ii) shotgun with a magazine which will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered.
https://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.7

This definition sounds like something that Diane Feinstein would write, it is laughable.

Silencer? I have seen and heard suppressors, but I have never seen a silencer before.

If the firearm holds only 19 rounds, does not have a folding stock, or a silencer, than it is not an "assault firearm". Who writes this garbage?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

OCDO doesn't endorse (or condemn) concealed carry either but despite my ranting on occasion, it gets discussed. Why?

It's complicated but aside from those that want permit carry to become the standard, it is very much a part of the life of OCDO members.

As Grapeshot said....A gentler approach rather than blind condemnation.

B. Reddy

Did anyone read the post referring to the Carytown OCer's in the blog TTAG? http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/07/robert-farago/open-carry-carytown-va/

"First, it looks like their guns are unloaded — at least the AK is sans magazine... Second,this is not your typical grouchy OFWG crowd...".

Ouch, that stings a little bit.

A lot of commenters seem wrapped around the axle over what protesters wear. Sure, it would be nice if pro-RKBA folks dressed like Congress members instead of Larry the Cable guy, but maybe a dress code is not that high up on our "to-do list."

When I saw these guys in June, waving Old Glory, openly carrying multiple firearms, I was so gob-smacked that I jumped up from my meal, ran through traffic and asked them what their story was. They have no organized group, just some guys in their 20's, showing the colors and celebrating our rights. They were friendly, patient with all the questions, and well-informed.

But "typical grouchy OFWG crowd"?!?! Maybe there is some PR work ahead?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Did anyone read the post referring to the Carytown OCer's in the blog TTAG? http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/07/robert-farago/open-carry-carytown-va/

"First, it looks like their guns are unloaded — at least the AK is sans magazine... Second,this is not your typical grouchy OFWG crowd...".

Ouch, that stings a little bit.

A lot of commenters seem wrapped around the axle over what protesters wear. Sure, it would be nice if pro-RKBA folks dressed like Congress members instead of Larry the Cable guy, but maybe a dress code is not that high up on our "to-do list."

When I saw these guys in June, waving Old Glory, openly carrying multiple firearms, I was so gob-smacked that I jumped up from my meal, ran through traffic and asked them what their story was. They have no organized group, just some guys in their 20's, showing the colors and celebrating our rights. They were friendly, patient with all the questions, and well-informed.

But "typical grouchy OFWG crowd"?!?! Maybe there is some PR work ahead?

We call it the Olde Pharts Club and we are not the least bit grouchy or irritable.....well not too much so.

Will be educating the general public AND reeducating the Henrico PD Aug. 2nd at the Government Center:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?123151-Henrico-PD-to-host-community-day-Aug-2