Thread: What 'gun violence epidemic?'

What 'gun violence epidemic?'

Is ‘gun violence epidemic’ a monumental gun control fraud?

In the weeks since a spree killer murdered six people in Santa Barbara, gun prohibition lobbyists, anti-gun politicians including Seattle Mayor Ed Murray, and many in the media have been talking about an “epidemic of gun violence,” but on Monday, KVI’s John Carlson called them out with a detailed piece in Crosscut that strongly suggests the claims about “gun violence” are hogwash.

http://www.examiner.com/article/is-g...-control-fraud

pretty much, they've lied about gun violence epidemics for the last 5 years.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

The 72 meme must be put down with great prejudice.

Two weeks ago a preacher used "72 and not one more," and has not acknowledged my protest and correction.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    The 72 meme must be put down with great prejudice.

Two weeks ago a preacher used "72 and not one more," and has not acknowledged my protest and correction.
    of course not, has too much to lose by telling the truth.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Pish-posh. No one cares about data.

When you look at the statistics, gun-related deaths are minuscule when compared to cancer, heart disease, etc. In fact, more people die accidentally than by gun homicides. Roughly 3-1. More people die from being unable to walk up/down a flight of stairs, or navigate a bathtub, or climb a ladder. That's what that means.

Banned
    I have not shot anyone recently ... pronouncements of "gun violence" are bogus.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    pretty much, they've lied about gun violence epidemics for the last 5 years.
    They've lied about it for much much longer than that.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Workman View Post
    Is ‘gun violence epidemic’ a monumental gun control fraud?

In the weeks since a spree killer murdered six people in Santa Barbara, gun prohibition lobbyists, anti-gun politicians including Seattle Mayor Ed Murray, and many in the media have been talking about an “epidemic of gun violence,” but on Monday, KVI’s John Carlson called them out with a detailed piece in Crosscut that strongly suggests the claims about “gun violence” are hogwash.

http://www.examiner.com/article/is-g...-control-fraud

Thanks for the link. Some good data in there.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

The reason people think it's an epidemic is multi-faceted, but no one ever wants to get to the root of the matter.

1. News history is based on 'if it bleeds, it leads.' Few things get people more riled up than 2A discussions. Even better now that the Internet removes people's filters (the pseudo-anonymous nature of the Internet).

2. Speed of information. We have access to all sort of information, exponentially more so than even 10 years ago. The ability to share it with the world is only a hyperlink away. Just because we know about shootings today doesn't mean they didn't happen before (as data proves, it happened more).

3. People want to voice their opinions more than exercise critical thought. NPR posted a headline about how Americans don't read, and the body of the article said something to the effect of "this is an experiment, if you read this, do not comment." Of course, NPR instantly gets hundreds of comments about the article. "We" look for something to comment on, even if we don't understand whats going on, we prove ourselves to be idiots.

4. Perhaps these people flaunting around words like "epidemic" should pick up a dictionary.

This morning I was listening to John Carlson and mayor murray of seattle was confronted about this, and he said "well 36 gun deaths a day is still too many and I don't consider it acceptable"

NRA Member

Some epidemic. The rate of gun-related deaths has dropped every year over the past five years. Even with the Newtown school shooting, that year had fewer gun-related deaths than the one before it.

Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    This morning I was listening to John Carlson and mayor murray of seattle was confronted about this, and he said "well 36 gun deaths a day is still too many and I don't consider it acceptable"
    The proper response to that is "You're absolutely right that 36 deaths per day is unacceptable. But you're including the number of times police have shot people to death in your numbers -- will your solution to the problem include disarming police, or will it exempt them like almost all other gun control laws do? And if 36 a day is unacceptable, 720 a day is worse. Let's start with the biggest threats and work our way down the list. We can ban private ownership of cars right away, after all we won't have to amend the constitution for that!"

Odds are, by the time a politician gets through even half the threats that are worse than gun ownership, he'll be so unpopular he'll get lynched long before they have time to impeach him.
    Last edited by Difdi; 07-03-2014 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Difdi View Post
    Some epidemic. The rate of gun-related deaths has dropped every year over the past five years. Even with the Newtown school shooting, that year had fewer gun-related deaths than the one before it.

The proper response to that is "You're absolutely right that 36 deaths per day is unacceptable. But you're including the number of times police have shot people to death in your numbers -- will your solution to the problem include disarming police, or will it exempt them like almost all other gun control laws do? And if 36 a day is unacceptable, 720 a day is worse. Let's start with the biggest threats and work our way down the list. We can ban private ownership of cars right away, after all we won't have to amend the constitution for that!"

Odds are, by the time a politician gets through even half the threats that are worse than gun ownership, he'll be so unpopular he'll get lynched long before they have time to impeach him.
    Maybe some, I think the mayor of seattle is well insulated from gun rights backlash. Even other "liberal areas" of the state, like Port Townsend, San Juan islands, etc don't have the same motivated hatred of firearms that the most active seattle city voters do.
    they're like Brits, years ago I was going to summer camp in the San Juan islands, there was this hippy guy openly carrying, I'm talking glasses, beads, long unkempt hair, peace necklace, but he had an oldish looking pistol tucked in his belt, one of the counselors who had a british accent would avoid this person almost purposefully.....

But in seattle, no hippy like that would carry a gun, they hate them....

NRA Member