• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another Open Carry Texas success story ruins it for Washingtonians.....

Dave_pro2a

Hyperbole is the extreme exaggeration of something. You have nothing. No association between strong language and thug language. There is no hyperbole there. There is merely graceless ineptitude.

The reference to rape is a metaphor, Erik. Also not hyperbole. Whether one considers it an apt metaphor or not, it has nothing to do with your gross incompetence to make a coherent argument.

All your post lacked was:

inigo.jpg

Dave_pro2a

Oh I see.. Forgot that xray vision.... Of I'm at the gas pump with a glock on my hip and your at a pump with a glock neither have badge but somehow its still different to general public who we are supposed to normalize it to...

Take your hurt feelings somewhere else. This thread is about guys not being able to carry in stores anymore.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Ahh, so you can't argue the facts.

What dept do you work for, I'll try to find your policy.

EMNofSeattle

Hyperbole is the extreme exaggeration of something. You have nothing. No association between strong language and thug language. There is no hyperbole there. There is merely graceless ineptitude.

The reference to rape is a metaphor, Erik. Also not hyperbole. Whether one considers it an apt metaphor or not, it has nothing to do with your gross incompetence to make a coherent argument.

what is "Thug language" is someone a thug only because of vernacular used?

graceless maybe, I'll concede that, but not inept in fact you've spent more posts harping on the example then the point made.

which is that, when someone "respectfully requests" regarding their private property, they're making a rule that's expected to be followed. which they have the right to do as proprietors.
but some people on this forum, apparently, do not seriously regard property rights because of the outer politness of the statement.

Last edited:

OC for ME

For me, the most important reason for carrying off-duty is family. If for no other reason than protecting your spouse and children, you should always carry your weapon. I would hate to be sitting somewhere with my family and have an incident occur in which one of my family members suffers an injury, or worse, death, simply because I did not have my weapon available. That nightmare would haunt me forever.

The bottom line is that you don’t need your weapon until you need it. Can you predict when you will need it? No. Carry your weapon.

http://www.officer.com/article/11221281/off-duty-carry-yes-or-no?page=2
Cop carry.

tombrewster421

Victim of what?

do you now consider being banned from private property to be tyranny? you question is unrelated to the topic at hand, no one has advocated for any laws except legalizing handgun OC in this thread!? how does government even factor into it?

this is about a private group, doing something legal, albiet unwise, and getting people asked to leave from major businesses.

Texas should legalize handgun OC, but that doesn't make it the best idea PR wise to strut an AR through the shopping mall.

There is no debate to have on government, this is a private group, getting banned from a private business, because of lobbying from another private group.

Yes they are victims of tyranny. Obviously, the only reason they are carrying long guns is because that is the only option affair fed them by a tyrannical government. It matters not if you think it unwise to do something especially when it comes to exercising a right. If it's ok to suppress one right then it's ok to suppress all of them.

And in case you didn't know the constitution wasn't written to keep government from violating our rights. It was to show the government how to protect our rights and secure them.

Read the Declaration of Independence and it will tell you exactly why they created this government. A private entity doesn't have the right to violate any persons right unless there is a law being broken.

Yes the government has strayed VERY far from the initial purpose it was created for.

We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed, by their CREATOR, with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.–That to secure these Rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just Powers from the Consent of the Governed, that whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government,

Dave_pro2a

what is "Thug language" is someone a thug only because of vernacular used?

graceless maybe, I'll concede that, but not inept in fact you've spent more posts harping on the example then the point made.

which is that, when someone "respectfully requests" regarding their private property, they're making a rule that's expected to be followed. which they have the right to do as proprietors.
but some people on this forum, apparently, do not seriously regard property rights because of the outer politness of the statement.

What Target posted is not an actual gun ban. They are trying to play both sides.

When they issue a real policy, then there's something to talk about. Not that this thread hasn't been entertaining, it's just that the original premise is faulty (but we shalln't let that stand in the way of a good row). :)

Last edited:

ATM

Campaign Veteran
If I respectfully requested you not to my house would keep coming until i escalated the situation?

If you had a garage sale with a request in the local paper to not bring guns (which I may or may not have even seen), I certainly might stop in while carrying. You could ask me to go lock my gun in my car, but I would decline your request. You could ask me to leave and I would leave.
Or... you might decide to let me stay in the hopes I might decide to purchase some of your stuff.

Let's at least compare apples to apples.

A request is all that should be needed.

The request was designed to placate the vocal whiners, not to actually stop anything. If they wanted to stop something they'd have created a new policy.

They went so far as to male a national statement they dong want us there. So if people see us there then we look like jack a**es who refuse to abide a request.

There are countless requests I would refuse to abide. Many requests are absurd.

Dave_pro2a

Last edited:

Dave_pro2a

If you had a garage sale with a request in the local paper to not bring guns (which I may or may not have even seen), I certainly might stop in while carrying. You could ask me to go lock my gun in my car, but I would decline your request. You could ask me to leave and I would leave.
Or... you might decide to let me stay in the hopes I might decide to purchase some of your stuff.

Let's at least compare apples to apples.

The request was designed to placate the vocal whiners, not to actually stop anything. If they wanted to stop something they'd have created a new policy.

There are countless requests I would refuse to abide. Many requests are absurd.

Bear in mind, Primus never answered the question:

Would he, as an on-duty LEO, enforce a 'request.'

Does a 'request' create a legally actionable situation?

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

Yes they are victims of tyranny. Obviously, the only reason they are carrying long guns is because that is the only option affair fed them by a tyrannical government. It matters not if you think it unwise to do something especially when it comes to exercising a right. If it's ok to suppress one right then it's ok to suppress all of them.

And in case you didn't know the constitution wasn't written to keep government from violating our rights. It was to show the government how to protect our rights and secure them.

Read the Declaration of Independence and it will tell you exactly why they created this government. A private entity doesn't have the right to violate any persons right unless there is a law being broken.

Yes the government has strayed VERY far from the initial purpose it was created for.

We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed, by their CREATOR, with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.–That to secure these Rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just Powers from the Consent of the Governed, that whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government,

Who's talking about suppressing another's rights? no one! what legislation have I advocated for on this thread? doing exactly what you propose! eliminating the OC restrictions on handguns!

It's a red herring, the whole purpose here is to say I think they can get OC enacted through better means that don't cause so much trouble. that's called criticism, it has nothing to do with what they have a right to do, I agree you should have the right to carry a rifle in public, not every time is most appropriate for it.

of course by the time they finally get OC in TX it will probably be with a license and wearing at least a level II holster like the law they proposed last year........ and that wouldn't be much better.

OC for ME

seems to me to be an argument for carry tailored to a certain audience. no mention of laws was even in it. if you live in most states in the country you can do whatever the author of the article said as well.
You didn't get it, did you?

If cops find it critical, and not all do it seems, to be armed at all times, what does it matter the manner of carry or firearm type? This thread is about the firearm type and the manner of carry. Though, I don't know if those dudes actually carry full time with rifles across their chests. "Photo carry" maybe.

Anyway, it is the same old argument...no OC, ever! Do as i say or you will be held to account. The state will be used, willingly, gladly at times, to enforce the "preferred" method to exercise our right...the only approved method.

OCT has officially distanced themselves from the OC of long guns. They caved to the media pressure, no big deal, their choice.

EMNofSeattle

You didn't get it, did you?

If cops find it critical, and not all do it seems, to be armed at all times, what does it matter the manner of carry or firearm type? This thread is about the firearm type and the manner of carry. Though, I don't know if those dudes actually carry full time with rifles across their chests. "Photo carry" maybe.

Anyway, it is the same old argument...no OC, ever! Do as i say or you will be held to account. The state will be used, willingly, gladly at times, to enforce the "preferred" method to exercise our right...the only approved method.

OCT has officially distanced themselves from the OC of long guns. They caved to the media pressure, no big deal, their choice.

I think everyone should be armed as many times and places as practical.....

in a perfect world firearm type and manner would be far less important then it is currently.

tombrewster421

Who's talking about suppressing another's rights? no one! what legislation have I advocated for on this thread? doing exactly what you propose! eliminating the OC restrictions on handguns!

It's a red herring, the whole purpose here is to say I think they can get OC enacted through better means that don't cause so much trouble. that's called criticism, it has nothing to do with what they have a right to do, I agree you should have the right to carry a rifle in public, not every time is most appropriate for it.

of course by the time they finally get OC in TX it will probably be with a license and wearing at least a level II holster like the law they proposed last year........ and that wouldn't be much better.

The issue is not whether you've advocated any legislation. The issue is that you are blaming those merely exercising their rights in the only way they can for the decision that was not theirs to make. You simply don't see that you are blaming the victim in this new policy. That are the ones being harassed for lawful action. Both MDA and many gun owners are harassing them for doing nothing wrong.

You never did answer the question of whether or not it is the fault of one exercising their right if tyrannical legislation gets passed.

And obviously target is suppressing the rights of open carriers. It's not only governments that can suppress one's rights.

I just think gun owners need to put the blame where it belongs. On those who made the decisions, and those who made a fuss and brought it to light that people were not harming anyone.

OC for ME

I think everyone should be armed as many times and places as practical.....

in a perfect world firearm type and manner would be far less important then it is currently.
True, but perfect is not my goal, simply following the law is, as in "shall not be infringed."

Dumping on dudes who "don't do it", carry that is, the right way. This dumping is usually manifest as CC vs. OC. Cops are typically big CC fanatics. Here also the dumping is manifest...don't OC long guns = don't OC at all. CC and work to get OC of a handgun.

One thing is certain, Demanding Mad Moms are anti-2A.

Elm Creek Smith

If I respectfully requested you not to my house would keep coming until i escalated the situation?

A request is all that should be needed.

They went so far as to male a national statement they dong want us there. So if people see us there then we look like jack a**es who refuse to abide a request.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Your house isn't a public place, is it? If it is, what kind of an establishment are you running in your house?

They don't want us there, they should post a "gunbuster" sign (a 30.06 sign in Texas). If they don't, they can "respectfully request" all they want. I shall "respectfully deny" their request. When Oklahoma first passed concealed carry, our local WalMart posted "gunbuster" signs. That lasted about a week or two before they came down without fanfare. If Target posts those signs, they'll be closing stores before fall.

Elm Creek Smith

Companies began to rescind their State Law policy after the whining and moaning of a small group that noticed another group carrying guns in quite and inappropriate manner, and it is all for political purposes with self defense mixed in there.

Starbucks didn't rescind their "state law policy." Their CEO issued a weasel-worded letter "asking" people not to carry their guns into their stores. Haven't seen a "gunbuster" sign at SBs. When Target starts posting "gunbuster" signs in Oklahoma, that's when they'll start closing stores here. CVS had "gunbuster" signs up for about a week after Oklahoma okayed open carry. They came down very quickly.

acmariner99

For me, LGOC is all about perception. Can it be done safely? Sure. Are there times I think it would be appropriate? Absolutely.

Those of us who have OCed handguns with the goal of helping normalize the presence of firearms in public have seen a multitude of successes, until the LGOC crowd came along. Store after store has asked us not to carry. Why? Because carrying a rifle gives the perception to the general public unfamiliar with firearms that the environment is unsafe. What we think and what we know is irrelevant, it is how the business and the public perceive us. The perception is a lot different when carrying a holstered handgun. Nearly every encounter I have had has been positive - I highly doubt the reaction would be the same if I carried my AR-15 into my local Safeway.

That said will I stop people from LGOC? No! Will I advocate for banning LGOC? No! But I will withdraw from the area if I see somebody OCing a rifle as I do not want to be associated with that activity. If this continues, do not be surprised if even more stores (which have every right to ban us) ask us to stop carrying.