• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LGOCers Have Done it Again

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
Well, with this news, I guess I can no longer go to my local Target here in The Springs as I USED to do regularly while OC-ing a handgun.

:-(

As a side note, was at a WalMart yesterday afternoon and saw a "unicorn" -- first, on his left/off-side, 2 spare magazines caught my eye (side facing me) and then his big "scary" cocked & locked gun on his right side when he turned around. He was shopping with his wife/GF I assume.

This is only the SECOND time I've seen a fellow OC-er here in The Springs the whole 1-year I've lived here...but must also admit that I do not actively LOOK for them when I am out & about.

I felt "compelled" to explain to him why I was OC-ing a little bitty .32 ACP Beretta: Had just come from my local VA Clinic app't and on days I need to go somewhere I definitely can NOT carry (in ANY way, even knives @ federal property VA Clinics -- please note the sign they post says "For Your Protection"), I take my little Beretta which I can easily slide on & off my belt on my right/strong side, so I can quickly take it off to go into the building, and then easily put it on in the car when I come back out. My USUAL gun's holster is a pancake-type worn cross-draw on my left side (navel area), which is a hassle to get on/off the belt as I have to take the belt completely OFF to do it (tough to do when sitting in a car seat, and I don't want to stand NEXT to my car fiddling with a GUN in case someone calls in "suspicious activity," especially in the VA parking lot!) -- so I leave the big gun @ home on those days and just carry the Beretta (3032 Tomcat).

Still, at least I was OC-ing...but apparently, no longer @ a Target anymore!

:-( :-(

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Target did not ban firearms, they made it clear they will still follow state laws. If I was intent on shopping in Target(which I never have) I would just continue to OC and shop there. The worst they could do is ask you to leave, and then you are at the same place you would have been if you just did not shop there.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
I'm not "intent" on shopping there (certainly not loyal to any particular store...except to Home Depot maybe when I need home-improvement stuff (compared to Lowes, as per HD's positive/pro views on the military/gun issue), but frankly, sometimes -- and yes surprisingly to most of us -- Target's prices even beat Walmart's...especially when I order from Target Online and pick it up at their store in-person. Otherwise, for a quick trip to a supermarket, the Super-Target is closer than any "real" supermarkets are to me, so it's just a matter of convenience.

Plus, it's in a nice part of town, very "scenic" newer area of The Springs, a nice clean store, and I like to go there after business at the next-door Wells Fargo and Frost Bites (I OC there, too). And even Target employees & management (let alone other customers) need THEIR fair share of D&E (Desensitizing & Educating) also. ;-)

[For fellow Springs readers, I'm talking about the Super-Target @ N. Powers & Briargate/Union exit]

I think I'll wait & see what develops further with this story, especially news about Targets here in Colorado.

In the meantime, I certainly can do without going there, and don't expect any withdrawal symptoms to appear anytime soon. After all, I'm doing just fine since absenting Starbucks so many months ago (whenever CEO Howard Shultz 'outed' himself). ;-)

Last edited:

Shovelhead

From http://wtop.com/628/3655385/Dont-bring-guns-to-this-retailer

Target is "respectfully" asking its customers to not bring firearms into its stores, even where it is allowed by law.

In a statement posted Wednesday on the retailer's corporate blog, interim CEO John Mulligan said that Target wants a "safe and inviting" atmosphere for its shoppers and employees.

Molly Snyder, a Target spokeswoman, said that Target's move is a "request and not a prohibition."

more on the linked article

Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

Target has now requested that gun owners no longer carry in their stores - when are these people going to learn that carrying an AR-15 is not helping!

http://bearingarms.com/derpin-carry...ebook&utm_medium=fbpage&utm_campaign=baupdate

When are you going to learn to stick to the facts? There hasn't been any significant amount of LGOC in Target for months. Most OC in Target in recent months has been HGOC in other states. MDA has been targeting those carriers since people in Texas stopped carrying rifles into businesses, and not in Target even long before the policy of no long guns into businesses (months ago). Don't be such a chump, learn the facts of the matter before you rattle off next time, how about?

Shovelhead

I'm curious how many of those 400,000 "supporter's" signatures are in the same handwriting................

Jus sayin'

cjohnson44546

My question is why can't we as gun owners come up with our own petition to counter Moms Demand Action that calls for these corporations to ignore them? Why is it only Mom's who are "demanding action" and not gun owners?

demand action for what? We demand you allow us to carry guns in your stores like you already do!

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
My question is why can't we as gun owners come up with our own petition to counter Moms Demand Action that calls for these corporations to ignore them? Why is it only Mom's who are "demanding action" and not gun owners?

Most of us are productive members of society, i.e. we're too busy.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate

OC4me

I sent Target a letter last night as soon as I heard the news. Letters do make a difference. Be polite, mostly and the effect will be felt.

Here is the text:

My family certainly will no longer be shopping at Target. You can't
compromise with these (anti-gun) groups. If you respectfully request that
customers shop disarmed (while insinuating that being peaceably armed
makes for an unsafe shopping environment), then they (like my family)
are just going to spend money elsewhere.

It doesn't matter one bit that we 'could' carry in your stores. You
have asked us not too. What is so offensive is that Target made a
statement equating the lawful bearing of arms with an unsafe shopping
environment. Nothing could be further from the truth. If anything,
you are making your stores and property safer for the criminal element
who will only be encouraged by your new policy.

Please take note of the fact that gun ownership and the bearing of
arms in public have been steadily increasing over the past several
decades. Meanwhile, violent crime has been falling over the same
period and is now at an almost 50 year low.

It is unfortunate that Target has been suckered by a small vocal group
of anti-self defense advocates who's stock and trade has been stoking
fear and spreading misinformation. These groups do not exist to
fight crime, they are only interested in denigrating law-abiding
citizens who exercise in important civil right which they happen to
disagree with.

Shame on you Target. I hope you reverse your 'please don't carry
here' policy in favor of one that welcomes law-abiding peaceably armed
shoppers.

D**** & N** B********
****** Lincoln Lake Avenue
G*****, Michigan 493**

Last edited:

OC for ME

Uh oh...you used "gun owners." There's gunna be a fit being pitched over this transgression.