Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Target Speaks: No Guns

Target Speaks: No Guns

As of today:

"Our approach has always been to follow local laws, and of course, we will continue to do so. But starting today we will also respectfully request that guests not bring firearms to Target even in communities where it is permitted by law."

I was just in there yesterday and the guard helped me with a stubborn cart.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5551101.html

The Big Guy
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

This really really sucks, I go to my Target store on Sunset & Stephanie just about daily.

Banned

No Ls either !

eom

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Guy View Post
    As of today:

"Our approach has always been to follow local laws, and of course, we will continue to do so. But starting today we will also respectfully request that guests not bring firearms to Target even in communities where it is permitted by law."

I was just in there yesterday and the guard helped me with a stubborn cart.
    I've never had a problem their either. That said, I *gasp* prefer Wal*Mart over Target.

Maybe it's because all their employees wear shirts that say "Target" at Target?

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
    It will be interesting to see if there is anything said the next time I go into Target.

I am not willing to shop at Target if they demand that I become one.

Quote Originally Posted by DVC View Post
    It will be interesting to see if there is anything said the next time I go into Target.

Nothing will happen when you go to Target. Just like nothing happens when you go into a Starbucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannette View Post
    Nothing will happen when you go to Target. Just like nothing happens when you go into a Starbucks.
    So I am okay to Open Carry and I won't be run out of the building?

I planned to just lay it low and throw my shirt over it when my $97.50 permission slip comes in the mail next month.

Quote Originally Posted by dbacks_Nation View Post
    So I am okay to Open Carry and I won't be run out of the building?

I planned to just lay it low and throw my shirt over it when my $97.50 permission slip comes in the mail next month.
    Don't get intimidated. You will have noone with pitchforks and torches running you out of the building. And if they don't want your money...I'm sure that other places will have no problem. But I can tell you that Target right now needs all the money they can get!!!!!

Target can rely upon all the folks who have zero interest in defending themselves and their loved ones to assist them in addressing their financial issues. Target caused their own problem and now they created another problem.

Target is not a vaunted American institution, they have cheap stuff. Cheap stuff is everywhere. They made their bed, let them lie in it.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Target can rely upon all the folks who have zero interest in defending themselves and their loved ones to assist them in addressing their financial issues. Target caused their own problem and now they created another problem.

Target is not a vaunted American institution, they have cheap stuff. Cheap stuff is everywhere. They made their bed, let them lie in it.
    Quite a good point. What are they thinking? smh

I have to wonder if it would matter to "XX Store" if they decided to do the same and, as a 'member' they would know EXACTLY how much was spent there in the last year --and you said "I'm outta here."

Anyone here used that with a business that had no problem with your OC, tracked your spending via a 'reward card'... and the company changed policy?

I consider myself as one of those "People of Walmart". I like shopping in a venue that is not high society. But then I have learned over the years that live and let live is much more enjoyable to sticking ones nose into other business, and being a snob.

Target was always for snobs who are actually no better then the "People of Walmart". New name for Target customers, "Unarmed Targets of Target".
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by DVC View Post

I actually called a few Target locations today and had them explain to me what they were briefed about regarding the policy, and they all said pretty much the same thing. They assured me that they were told that it is a request that we do not bring them, but if we do we will not be requested to remove them, leave the store, conceal them, or have any issues while we are in the store carrying our firearms. I expressed my sentiment that I was worried with all of the misinformation floating around, a store employee or a store customer might accuse me of breaking any laws, and I was assured that it will not happen from their staff and that they would explain to any customer who complains about their extremely lax policy.

So looks like business as usual.

Chuck Norris/Ted Nugent That's the ticket for 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by dbacks_Nation View Post
    I actually called a few Target locations today and had them explain to me what they were briefed about regarding the policy, and they all said pretty much the same thing. They assured me that they were told that it is a request that we do not bring them, but if we do we will not be requested to remove them, leave the store, conceal them, or have any issues while we are in the store carrying our firearms. I expressed my sentiment that I was worried with all of the misinformation floating around, a store employee or a store customer might accuse me of breaking any laws, and I was assured that it will not happen from their staff and that they would explain to any customer who complains about their extremely lax policy.

So looks like business as usual.
    I am wondering if the CEO's verbal request that we don't OC inside Target (I don't do business there, anyway) might be legally taken as a trespass warning?
    Last edited by ed2276; 07-03-2014 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2276 View Post
    I am wondering if the CEO's verbal request that we don't OC inside Target (I don't do business there, anyway) might be legally taken as a trespass warning?
    How could it be? What if I don't read his blog or missed the news article?

It's not a trespass warning if you never got the warning.

Quote Originally Posted by z28power View Post
    How could it be? What if I don't read his blog or missed the news article?

It's not a trespass warning if you never got the warning.
    We already know that a sign forbidding guns in a business doesn't have any legal weight until an actual human being (employee/manager) verbally tells us to leave. The CEO has essentially made a verbal request in advance that we don't OC inside Target stores.

For those who have heard the verbal request not to enter any Target store OC'ing that might be converted into an official warning leading to a trespass charge if one does enter OC'ing and an anti-gun employee/manager wants to make a case of it. It is not likely to happen but, legally, I am wondering if this might be considered advance notice to not enter the store OCing, and be PC for a trespass charge.
    Last edited by ed2276; 07-03-2014 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2276 View Post
    We already know that a sign forbidding guns in a business doesn't have any legal weight until an actual human being (employee/manager) verbally tells us to leave. The CEO has essentially made a verbal request in advance that we don't OC inside Target stores.

For those who have heard the verbal request not to enter any Target store OC'ing that might be converted into an official warning leading to a trespass charge if one does enter OC'ing and an anti-gun employee/manager wants to make a case of it. It is not likely to happen but, legally, I am wondering if this might be considered advance notice to not enter the store OCing, and be PC for a trespass charge.

http://forum.opencarry.com/forums/sh...=1#post2073436

It amazes me that when the truth has clearly been revealed someone still clings to lies.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 07-03-2014 at 07:19 PM.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Oc'd at the Target on N. Decatur and 215 looking for my son. No issues only looks by customers not the employees. Best part was that my son's co-workers thought I was his sister and was packing!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post

Target was always for snobs who are actually no better then the "People of Walmart". New name for Target customers, "Unarmed Targets of Target".
    I believe that Target snobs refer to Target as "Tar-zhay" in order to justify their snobbery; though, in reality, they are no better than us Walmart people. lol

http://forum.opencarry.com/forums/sh...=1#post2073436

It amazes me that when the truth has clearly been revealed someone still clings to lies.
    I am sorry, WalkingWolf. I can't open the link to the post you reference for some unknown reason. Could you clarify? Are you referring to a post of mine, and accusing me of clinging to a lie?

Try opening it from the link in this post. I just copied it and it may not have the full address. If you are unaware this should clear up a few things for you.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Guys, don't take this the wrong way, but what am I missing at Target? I've never shopped there, so what do they have that makes us want to see if we can still go there after this? Is it like a Super Wal-Mart?
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Try opening it from the link in this post. I just copied it and it may not have the full address. If you are unaware this should clear up a few things for you.
    I was able to open it. I don't see where my "wondering if" could be characterized as a lie, since I didn't make a declaration that it was, in fact, trespassing, I merely was musing if the CEO's statement could be taken "legally" as a verbal warning, providing probable cause for a trespass case. My post and musings were not a statement of fact, but a question of law and its interpretation.

In the universe of prosecutors and judges, they often employ words of art to twist things into a crime and to obtain a conviction. Who knows but that some prosecutor or judge somewhere might construe the CEO's verbal request that people not OC in Target stores as fulfilling the notice element of trespass if an OCer should enter the store? As I wrote, it is not likely; but, it may not be impossible to make such a case. I don't know. Forgive me if I am over-cautious when it comes to things like this; maybe I am just too paranoid where government is concerned.
    Last edited by ed2276; 07-03-2014 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Guys, don't take this the wrong way, but what am I missing at Target? I've never shopped there, so what do they have that makes us want to see if we can still go there after this? Is it like a Super Wal-Mart?

Not a thing, MAC. My wife has gone there a time or two, and my sister used to work at a Target. There is nothing special about Target. I have never shopped there and never will, after the CEO's statement. What's next, will the CEO ask African American teens who wear hoodies not to enter Target stores because the customers and employees don't feeeeel safe, and are not having a family-friendly experience?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast