• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Target Speaks: No Guns

The Big Guy

As of today:

"Our approach has always been to follow local laws, and of course, we will continue to do so. But starting today we will also respectfully request that guests not bring firearms to Target – even in communities where it is permitted by law."

I was just in there yesterday and the guard helped me with a stubborn cart.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/02/target-guns-ban_n_5551101.html

The Big Guy

Turbod'1

As of today:

"Our approach has always been to follow local laws, and of course, we will continue to do so. But starting today we will also respectfully request that guests not bring firearms to Target – even in communities where it is permitted by law."

I was just in there yesterday and the guard helped me with a stubborn cart.

I've never had a problem their either. That said, I *gasp* prefer Wal*Mart over Target.

Maybe it's because all their employees wear shirts that say "Target" at Target? :rolleyes:

Jeannette

It will be interesting to see if there is anything said the next time I go into Target.

I am not willing to shop at Target if they demand that I become one.

Nothing will happen when you go to Target. Just like nothing happens when you go into a Starbucks.

dbacks_Nation

Nothing will happen when you go to Target. Just like nothing happens when you go into a Starbucks.
So I am okay to Open Carry and I won't be run out of the building?

I planned to just lay it low and throw my shirt over it when my $97.50 permission slip comes in the mail next month.

Jeannette

So I am okay to Open Carry and I won't be run out of the building?

I planned to just lay it low and throw my shirt over it when my $97.50 permission slip comes in the mail next month.

Don't get intimidated. You will have noone with pitchforks and torches running you out of the building. And if they don't want your money...I'm sure that other places will have no problem. But I can tell you that Target right now needs all the money they can get!!!!!

OC for ME

Target can rely upon all the folks who have zero interest in defending themselves and their loved ones to assist them in addressing their financial issues. Target caused their own problem and now they created another problem.

Target is not a vaunted American institution, they have cheap stuff. Cheap stuff is everywhere. They made their bed, let them lie in it.

Turbod'1

Target can rely upon all the folks who have zero interest in defending themselves and their loved ones to assist them in addressing their financial issues. Target caused their own problem and now they created another problem.

Target is not a vaunted American institution, they have cheap stuff. Cheap stuff is everywhere. They made their bed, let them lie in it.

Quite a good point. What are they thinking? smh

Turbod'1

I have to wonder if it would matter to "XX Store" if they decided to do the same and, as a 'member' they would know EXACTLY how much was spent there in the last year --and you said "I'm outta here."

Anyone here used that with a business that had no problem with your OC, tracked your spending via a 'reward card'... and the company changed policy?

WalkingWolf

I consider myself as one of those "People of Walmart". I like shopping in a venue that is not high society. But then I have learned over the years that live and let live is much more enjoyable to sticking ones nose into other business, and being a snob.

Target was always for snobs who are actually no better then the "People of Walmart". New name for Target customers, "Unarmed Targets of Target".

dbacks_Nation

It will be interesting to see if there is anything said the next time I go into Target.

I am not willing to shop at Target if they demand that I become one.
I actually called a few Target locations today and had them explain to me what they were briefed about regarding the policy, and they all said pretty much the same thing. They assured me that they were told that it is a request that we do not bring them, but if we do we will not be requested to remove them, leave the store, conceal them, or have any issues while we are in the store carrying our firearms. I expressed my sentiment that I was worried with all of the misinformation floating around, a store employee or a store customer might accuse me of breaking any laws, and I was assured that it will not happen from their staff and that they would explain to any customer who complains about their extremely lax policy.

So looks like business as usual.

ed2276

I actually called a few Target locations today and had them explain to me what they were briefed about regarding the policy, and they all said pretty much the same thing. They assured me that they were told that it is a request that we do not bring them, but if we do we will not be requested to remove them, leave the store, conceal them, or have any issues while we are in the store carrying our firearms. I expressed my sentiment that I was worried with all of the misinformation floating around, a store employee or a store customer might accuse me of breaking any laws, and I was assured that it will not happen from their staff and that they would explain to any customer who complains about their extremely lax policy.

So looks like business as usual.

I am wondering if the CEO's verbal request that we don't OC inside Target (I don't do business there, anyway) might be legally taken as a trespass warning?

Last edited:

z28power

I am wondering if the CEO's verbal request that we don't OC inside Target (I don't do business there, anyway) might be legally taken as a trespass warning?

How could it be? What if I don't read his blog or missed the news article?

It's not a trespass warning if you never got the warning.

ed2276

How could it be? What if I don't read his blog or missed the news article?

It's not a trespass warning if you never got the warning.

We already know that a sign forbidding guns in a business doesn't have any legal weight until an actual human being (employee/manager) verbally tells us to leave. The CEO has essentially made a verbal request in advance that we don't OC inside Target stores.

For those who have heard the verbal request not to enter any Target store OC'ing that might be converted into an official warning leading to a trespass charge if one does enter OC'ing and an anti-gun employee/manager wants to make a case of it. It is not likely to happen but, legally, I am wondering if this might be considered advance notice to not enter the store OCing, and be PC for a trespass charge.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

We already know that a sign forbidding guns in a business doesn't have any legal weight until an actual human being (employee/manager) verbally tells us to leave. The CEO has essentially made a verbal request in advance that we don't OC inside Target stores.

For those who have heard the verbal request not to enter any Target store OC'ing that might be converted into an official warning leading to a trespass charge if one does enter OC'ing and an anti-gun employee/manager wants to make a case of it. It is not likely to happen but, legally, I am wondering if this might be considered advance notice to not enter the store OCing, and be PC for a trespass charge.

http://forum.opencarry.com/forums/s...ses-Firearms&p=2073436&viewfull=1#post2073436

It amazes me that when the truth has clearly been revealed someone still clings to lies.

Last edited:

Jeannette

Oc'd at the Target on N. Decatur and 215 looking for my son. No issues only looks by customers not the employees. Best part was that my son's co-workers thought I was his sister and was packing!!!!!!:banana:

ed2276

Target was always for snobs who are actually no better then the "People of Walmart". New name for Target customers, "Unarmed Targets of Target".

I believe that Target snobs refer to Target as "Tar-zhay" in order to justify their snobbery; though, in reality, they are no better than us Walmart people. lol