• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Georgia: OCer draws on OCer and demands ID

Kirbinator

http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2014/07/02/on-new-gun-laws-first-day-a-draw-down-in-valdosta/
VALDOSTA — On the first day of the new Georgia Safe Carry Protection Act, a misunderstanding between two armed men in a convenience store Tuesday led to a drawn firearm and a man’s arrest.

“Essentially, it involved one customer with a gun on his hip when a second customer entered with a gun on his hip,” said Valdosta Police Chief Brian Childress.

At approximately 3 p.m. Tuesday, police responded to a call regarding a customer dispute at the Enmark on the corner of Park Avenue and North Lee Street.

A man carrying a holstered firearm entered the store to make a purchase. Another customer, also with a holstered firearm, approached him and demanded to see his identification and firearms license, according to the Valdosta Police Department report.

The customer making demands for ID pulled his firearm from its holster but never pointed it at the other customer, who said he was not obligated to show any permits or identification.

He demanded the man’s ID again. Undeterred by the drawn gun, the man paid for his items, left the store and called for police.

Authorities arrested Ronald Williams, 62, on a charge of disorderly conduct, related to the pulling of a weapon inside of the store, according to the VPD. Police confiscated Williams’ weapon and took him to the Lowndes County Jail.

The police chief said no one can demand a person to show their gun permit. Under the new law, he as police chief and his officers cannot demand to see a firearms permit, Childress said.

“This is an example of my concern with the new gun law that people will take the law into their own hands which we will not tolerate,” Childress said.

:banghead:

countryclubjoe

WOW, this could have been a real ugly situation. In any case a black eye for OC.

I trust the State of Georgia will be revoking any and all weapon permits or licenses of the defendant if said defendant is guilt of the charges?

My .02

Regards

CCJ

Jack House

Nothing in this article says it was two OCers, the only thing we can know for sure is that the victim did not conceal his handgun.

What you guys want to bet this was one of those batshit insane CCers?:uhoh:

Gil223

Georgia law probably didn't address the possibility that Valdosta's village idiot would own a handgun, and then would appoint himself unofficial Marshal of his domain. They couldn't have reasonably been expected to foresee a confrontation of this type. It's a good thing the OC'er kept his cool, and it's a good thing for the village idiot that the OC'er didn't feel that his LIFE WAS BEING THREATENED! Pax...
:cuss:

Kirbinator

The story doesn't say "Valdosta SWAT" or "multiple officers converged" and details are sparse at best.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the OCer that drew is a retired LEO and hence carried under the belief that his former employment would qualify him to carry with impunity and was unaware of any recent changes in law. Or he read about it or saw it on the news and simply decided to open carry without research. We will know if we hear about this one guy who OC'd and got himself arrested....

WalkingWolf

If there was no permit system scheme there would be no permits to demand, by anyone.

Ingredients for morons~~take one idiot, add laws that encourage idiocy, mix well.

davidmcbeth

Banned
If there was no permit system scheme there would be no permits to demand, by anyone.

Ingredients for morons~~take one idiot, add laws that encourage idiocy, mix well.

Right!

Also, I see that FL still puts county info on their plates ... big argument over that a few yrs ago as I recall ..

Fallschirjmäger

Reading the story again, no where is it said that either one carried openly or concealed (although it's open to speculation how B would have known A was carrying if there was any concealment).

• Essentially, it involved one customer with a gun on his hip when a second customer entered with a gun on his hip,” said Valdosta Police Chief Brian Childress.
  • A man carrying a holstered firearm entered the store to make a purchase. Another customer, also with a holstered firearm, approached him

WalkingWolf

Party A could have been concealing poorly, I see it allot. It really puzzles me why people in an open carry state go though so much trouble to conceal only to do it so poorly that they are not concealing at all.

Fallschirjmäger

Party A could have been concealing poorly, I see it allot. It really puzzles me why people in an open carry state go though so much trouble to conceal only to do it so poorly that they are not concealing at all.
Probably because they aren't going to that much trouble to conceal.
I might pull my t-shirt over the S&W, but I'm not wearing a 'shoot me first' vest, or an unbuttoned shirt over my tee. It's been my experience that most people are too involved in their own petty lives to even look at another unless they have to avoid a collision (and often not even then).
Personally, I find IWB to be uncomfortable so I rarely make more than a minimum effort.

Griz

For one, Missouri doesn't have pre-emption for OC. But we do have a brief "open display of firearm" law. Which leads some of us (me) to care just a bit less about keeping it absolutely concealed when unsure of local ordinances.

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C500-599/5710000037.HTM

Johnbo

You guys should know that the instigator of this is mentally unstable. He apparently hangs out at this store and demands to see the I.D. of anyone buying cigarettes, alcohol, etc. soooo hopefully this will finally get him some help or his weapon carrying "privileges" taken away.

--fwiw

ixtow

Founder's Club Member

So quickly you dismiss the obvious?

THIS SHERIFF spoke out against the change in the law. Conveniently, someone clowns in exactly the manner he described "fears" for...

Sherif probably knows this guy and set it up to make his argument seem valid. Most OC clowns are planted becasue they know their aregument is a lie and they have to manufacture the incendents they claim to be "afraid of."

JoeSparky

Centurion
So quickly you dismiss the obvious?

THIS SHERIFF spoke out against the change in the law. Conveniently, someone clowns in exactly the manner he described "fears" for...

Sherif probably knows this guy and set it up to make his argument seem valid. Most OC clowns are planted becasue they know their aregument is a lie and they have to manufacture the incendents they claim to be "afraid of."
While it might be very convenient for you allegation in your final paragraph to be true, I'm calling for a cite to support it as it seems you've made a statement of fact, not an opinion.

And, thanks in advance for the pending cite.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
While it might be very convenient for you allegation in your final paragraph to be true, I'm calling for a cite to support it as it seems you've made a statement of fact, not an opinion.

And, thanks in advance for the pending cite.

If it could be proven, he'd be in his own jail. Derp. People in positions of power don't make official reports about their illegal activites and publish them in public record for me to cite for you. The notion that only official reports qualify as fact is an asinine convention. They're not going to rat themselves out and pubish it. I sometimes wonder what planet "internet peersonalities" live on...

This is why the nation is lost. "Cite to Source" or "Cite to Authority" or we're just going to sit here and live in denial some more... It's easier to "Call BS" than it is to stand up for the Bill of Rights. Internet wariors, unite and do nothing!