Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fellow OC needs help for trip to VA

Fellow OC needs help for trip to VA

Hi, I wouldn't normally ask (as opposed to doing my research) but this is kind of last minute.

My wife is in military AIT at Fort Lee and it turns out that they are giving her a pass for the 4th of July weekend. Last minute, but I'll be flying down there and I'm wondering what I should know if I choose to bring my Glock.

I know I can't take it on post but I'll be staying off post at a motel and her pass hours are limited which will have me off post quite a bit more than on. I'd just as soon not be in a strange town unarmed. Heck, I don't even do that here in Las Vegas.

Can anyone offer a crash course on what I need to know?

Again, sorry for the lack of research but just like a foreign town, this is a foreign forum and there are tons of data here.

Thanks!

Welcome to Virginia. ☺ if you may legally possess your weapon you can open carry almost anywhere except as you noted on post, court houses, k-12 schools, where prohibited by federal law and air passenger terminals. If you are arriving at a terminal in Maryland you must follow their law. Others may add to this list. On the other hand in general you will likely experience little surprise or concern from others if you open carry.

Hey Turbod. I'm actually stationed at Fort Lee. As long as you don't bring the weapon on Federal property or any other federally prohibited place you will be ok. the following link will take you to the actual state code that covers open carry of firearms. http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...cod+18.2-287.4. I carry every time I leave Fort Lee and have never had a problem with law enforcement or civilians. Do make note however that malls are generally anti OC. So unless you have a CCP from a state with reciprocity for Virginia its best to leave it in the car. Otherwise, welcome to Virginia and stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Smith View Post
    Hey Turbod. I'm actually stationed at Fort Lee. As long as you don't bring the weapon on Federal property or any other federally prohibited place you will be ok. the following link will take you to the actual state code that covers open carry of firearms. http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...cod+18.2-287.4. I carry every time I leave Fort Lee and have never had a problem with law enforcement or civilians. Do make note however that malls are generally anti OC. So unless you have a CCP from a state with reciprocity for Virginia its best to leave it in the car. Otherwise, welcome to Virginia and stay safe.
    I read that over and over again and it seems to preclude Open Carry. The best I could figure is; that if it's not loaded it's cool? All the exceptions seem to spell out the intent of requiring a license of some sort.

What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbod'1 View Post
    I read that over and over again and it seems to preclude Open Carry. The best I could figure is; that if it's not loaded it's cool? All the exceptions seem to spell out the intent of requiring a license of some sort.

What am I missing?
    "covers open carry" is a bit of a misnomer.

Open carry is legal in Virginia because there is no law prohibiting it. The law you were linked shows a couple of warts. As long as your Glock doesn't have a magazine holding over 20 rounds in it, a threaded barrel, or a folding stock that law doesn't apply to you. If you have a CHP that's recognized by VA it doesn't apply. If you're not in one of the cities specified, it doesn't apply.

VA is the best place in the country to OC, with the possible exception of AZ. I don't anticipate you'll have any issues at all.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    21 years or older and no other restrictions, OC is legal unless limited by law.

As others have pointed out, it is the absence of a statute/law that leaves OC of a handgun legal in Virginia.

If you have the time, consider coming out to one of our meet n' greets - would love to meet you both. We schedule a breakfast every Sat. morning:
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/fo...irginia-Events

Also have a dinner planned:
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...h-2014-at-7-pm
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 07-03-2014 at 05:33 AM. Reason: added
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Ft. Lee is not that far from Richmond. Our weekly breakfasts start at 9:30 AM - mostly because I am not a "morning person" and a grumpy old man with a gun first thing in the morning is not a Good IdeaTM.

Besides, Richmond has a lot of "date day" things to offer, including a gun show this weekend. http://www.cegunshows.com/ShowInfo/R...9/Default.aspx

We always welcome new folks. Most of the time we do not make newcomers go through the initiation ritual.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Okay, so I'm gathering that it's pretty much like Nevada (which is a good thing).

As to the Meet 'n Greet, I'll actually be flying out on the 8th so I won't be able to make it.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Ft. Lee is not that far from Richmond. Our weekly breakfasts start at 9:30 AM - mostly because I am not a "morning person" and a grumpy old man with a gun first thing in the morning is not a Good IdeaTM.

Besides, Richmond has a lot of "date day" things to offer, including a gun show this weekend.
    I appreciate not being hazed ( ) but the sad reality is: She can't go off post so it limits what we can do in terms of 'Date night' but if you'll be on post this weekend, it might give us something to do: Show us the sights!

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    21 years or older and no other restrictions, OC is legal unless limited by law.

As others have pointed out, it is the absence of a statute/law that leaves OC of a handgun legal in Virginia.

If you have the time, consider coming out to one of our meet n' greets - would love to meet you both. We schedule a breakfast every Sat. morning:
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/fo...irginia-Events

Also have a dinner planned:
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...h-2014-at-7-pm
    SHAME on you..it's 18 and older.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    SHAME on you..it's 18 and older.
    No shame - there are exceptions limiting that.

......unlawful to carry a loaded semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol equipped with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds or a shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than 7 shells “in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.”

A CHP provides exception, but one must be 21 yo or older.

If someone is 20 yo (no CHP), OC could be problematic.
    http://vagunforum.net/general-discus...ia-t16561.html
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 07-03-2014 at 01:13 PM. Reason: fixed
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    No ihame - there are exceptions limiting that.

......unlawful to carry a loaded semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol equipped with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds or a shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than 7 shells “in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.”

A CHP provides exception, but one must be 21 yo or older.

If someone is 20 yo (no CHP), OC could be problematic.
    http://vagunforum.net/general-discus...ia-t16561.html
    The exceptions only deals with less free parts of VA and would apply to anyone without a VALID permission slip regardless of age.

To legally OC the age is 18y and older, younger if you meet other exceptions..ie on your own property, at shooting range etc.... short on time to post cite but can reaserached and confirmed.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Smith View Post
    Just in the interest of accuracy, most of the malls that I am aware of are anti-firearm, not anti OC. There is no provision in their "Code of Conduct" that says a firearm is okay if you have a CCP (CHP here in Virginia). It will be tougher for them to determine you are violating their "Code" and ask you to leave if you are CC'ing vice OC'ing but the intent of their code is to prohibit customers carrying firearms. Criminals routinely choose to ignore the signs/codes but the management doesn't understand that.

Hi, I wouldn't normally ask (as opposed to doing my research) but this is kind of last minute.

My wife is in military AIT at Fort Lee and it turns out that they are giving her a pass for the 4th of July weekend. Last minute, but I'll be flying down there and I'm wondering what I should know if I choose to bring my Glock.

I know I can't take it on post but I'll be staying off post at a motel and her pass hours are limited which will have me off post quite a bit more than on. I'd just as soon not be in a strange town unarmed. Heck, I don't even do that here in Las Vegas.

Can anyone offer a crash course on what I need to know?

Again, sorry for the lack of research but just like a foreign town, this is a foreign forum and there are tons of data here.

Thanks!
    I can't tell you what their feelings are about carrying but if you're looking for something to see and enjoy Civil War history, there's a place just outside Petersburg called The National Museum of the Civil War Soldier, also known as Pamplin Park that is well worth a visit. It's at exit 63A on I-85, and apparently it is open on the 4th

http://www.pamplinpark.org/

Quote Originally Posted by scouser View Post
    I can't tell you what their feelings are about carrying but if you're looking for something to see and enjoy Civil War history, there's a place just outside Petersburg called The National Museum of the Civil War Soldier, also known as Pamplin Park that is well worth a visit. It's at exit 63A on I-85, and apparently it is open on the 4th

http://www.pamplinpark.org/
    Haven't been there in some time - best I can remember is that personal, self defense tools were not allowed.

A google search repeatedly brings up the phrase "Personal firearms and edged weapons will not be brought to the National Civil War......" w/o specfic reference to visitors.

I appreciate not being hazed ( ) but the sad reality is: She can't go off post so it limits what we can do in terms of 'Date night' but if you'll be on post this weekend, it might give us something to do: Show us the sights!
    The sights of Ft. Lee?

Well, there's the Mess Hall, the PX, and (drum roll, please) The Personally Owned Weapons Range http://www.leemwr.com/shooting-sports

As for "the sights" of Greater Richmond on your own - let's start with an invitation to our monthly OC dinner the evening of the 8th. Ask and you will be picked up/returned to your temporary lodging if you would prefer not to try and get lost all on your own. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...20#post2073320

A chauffered tour can be put together to include such attractions as the State Capitol (if it's open and you have a CHP/equivalent you can OC inside!), the grounds of the Capitol to look at statues of Washington and a few other Virginia luminaries (Harry Flood Bird - hint, hint), and some of the better vistas of the James River. Hollywood Cemetary is always a crowd pleaser. There are several National Park Battlefields in the area to either cruise through or stop & get out to see the exhibits. (One is right outside Ft. Lee.) http://www.nps.gov/rich/planyourvisit/index.htm

The problem is, there are always a few of us who can be available/make ourselves available. Lots of ideas but we want to hear from you so we can figure out who, when, where and suchlike. Even amongst the non-natives there is lots of Southern Hospitality.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

As for "the sights" of Greater Richmond on your own - let's start with an invitation to our monthly OC dinner the evening of the 8th. Ask and you will be picked up/returned to your temporary lodging if you would prefer not to try and get lost all on your own.
    except he already said he was flying out of here that day, there's always breakfast on Saturday wherever that might be

except he already said he was flying out of here that day, there's always breakfast on Saturday wherever that might be
    He didn't say what time, did he?

Boy, you try to do the Southern Hospitality thing and get harshed by furriners who tawk funny.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Boy, you try to do the Southern Hospitality thing and get harshed by furriners who tawk funny.

stay safe.
    Alright you two play nice! lol
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."

The sights of Ft. Lee?

Well, there's the Mess Hall, the PX, and (drum roll, please) The Personally Owned Weapons Range http://www.leemwr.com/shooting-sports
    Just a bit of information. There are two ranges on Fort Lee. The first being the Trap and Skeet range which is by the Hideaway (a small bar on post which actually isn't bad) and the second is the POW range. The POW range is not on Fort Lee proper but it is still owned and operated by the DoD. But without getting into the nitty gritty it is considered "off post".
    Last edited by Doc_Smith; 07-04-2014 at 10:26 AM.

stay safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_shadow View Post
    Consider also that there are those that hearz funny too

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_shadow View Post
    Skid, play nice??? LOL That will be the day. Started celebrating early?

In all honesty Skid and Scouser are about the two most "play nice" guys I know.

;>)

Quote Originally Posted by va_tazdad View Post
    Skid, play nice??? LOL That will be the day. Started celebrating early?

In all honesty Skid and Scouser are about the two most "play nice" guys I know.

;>)
    actually after breakfast the other week when skid asked Logan for a hug (and got one). I want to know who that guy is and what he has done with skid

Back on topic .. come join us for breakfast tomorrow, someone will post where it will be soon enough if they havent already, or you can pm grapeshot or skidmark and ask them the location
    Last edited by scouser; 07-04-2014 at 04:18 PM.

actually after breakfast the other week when skid asked Logan for a hug (and got one). I want to know who that guy is and what he has done with skid

Back on topic .. come join us for breakfast tomorrow, someone will post where it will be soon enough if they havent already, or you can pm grapeshot or skidmark and ask them the location
    Yeppers! Breakfast souper seekrit location has been announced. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...70#post2073670

OK, I called it "souper seekrit" just to see if the folks at NSA are reading. Y'all come on down. (Even the folks at NSA.)

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Yeppers! Breakfast souper seekrit location has been announced. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...70#post2073670

OK, I called it "souper seekrit" just to see if the folks at NSA are reading. Y'all come on down. (Even the folks at NSA.)

stay safe.
    Wish I could make it but start work at 0700 till 0700 Sunday.
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast