Thread: Just received this from my landlord today

Just received this from my landlord today

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1404347419099.jpg 
Views:	890 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	11771

Just received this from my landlord today

Did you sign the lease with such a clause in it?

Or is this new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Super6O; 07-02-2014 at 08:39 PM. Reason: addition

This is something totally separate from the lease. This was just something that was left at my door when I got home.

You: "Kiss my ass"
    Them: uh der de der

Take your money elsewhere, buy a house (with n o HOA). Do what you want, when you want.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    This is something totally separate from the lease. This was just something that was left at my door when I got home.
    It may not be totally separate from the lease - check what your lease says about firearms, and what it says about your obligation to follow the resident handbook. You might also check Indiana law - in Ohio, they cannot prohibit your possession of a handgun if you have a CHL. I don't know if Indiana has any provisions affecting the tenant / landlord relationship with regards to firearms.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

I can only imagine the ****storm what would erupt if some handbook were to say "Residents may not vote for XX party while they are tenants."

If you can regulate one right privately, why not another?
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 07-02-2014 at 10:26 PM.

i read this a notice to the residents to not discharge firearms during the upcoming holiday...nothing more nothing less? your residents may have a history of discharging firearms w/o regard to newton's concepts applied to bullets, and they want to nip it in the bud.

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

The memo seems like a clear invitation for criminals to pay a visit to the complex.

In my opinion no court in the country would order an eviction notice to a citizen based on a citizens ownership of a weapon provided the dollar amount of the landlord/tenant agreement is being satisfied by the tenant, however, when the landlord/tenant agreement date expires, the landlord could decide to not extend a new rental lease to the tenant. At that time, if you feel you are being discriminated against due to you're 2A believes, then you would need to hire a great civil rights attorney to argue you're case.

There are some interesting legal issues in you're post
    1- 2A issues
    2- Civil rights issues
    3- Landlord/tenant
    4- Contracts

My .02

Best regards

CCJ
    " I detest hypocrites and their Hypocrisy" I support Liberty for each, for all, and forever".
    Ask yourself, Do you own Yourself?

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Equal Housing Opportunity

Yea right!
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

If the complex is federally funded, then the 2A issue would be a stronger argument.

My .02

CCJ
    " I detest hypocrites and their Hypocrisy" I support Liberty for each, for all, and forever".
    Ask yourself, Do you own Yourself?

Banned
    Take it to the range and use it as target practice .. then NAIL it on the door of the owner with a nice not from u.

if it ain't on the lease, it ain't enforceable against you.

read your lease. if there is no provision banning firearms, don't even worry about it.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

In my experience, quite typical if "professional management" companies. You could also determine who are the real owners and complain to them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1404347419099.jpg 
Views:	890 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	11771
    So, they must also refuse to rent to any city, country, state or federal law enforcement officer/agent, who may be required to have a firearm in his/her possession even when off-duty? Otherwise their notice would be an act of discrimination! And, like good little corporate Nazi's, they want neighbors to inform upon one another. Personally, I'd find another domicile. Pax...
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Real estate laws like gun laws are state specific - moving it.

Note: lease terms/rules and regs may be amended with proper notice.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    i read this a notice to the residents to not discharge firearms during the upcoming holiday...nothing more nothing less? your residents may have a history of discharging firearms w/o regard to newton's concepts applied to bullets, and they want to nip it in the bud.

ipse
    Pay close attention and you'll see that it also mentions the "possession" of firearms. That's the part that concerns me.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post

I would not consider laying a flyer by the door proper notice.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Yes. As far as that statement goes, which is not far enough.

Indiana law http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/cod...2/ar31/ch5.pdf requires 30 days notice to amend a lease. This may not qualify as sufficient notice of intent to amend the lease. Check with an attorney knowlegable with the subject to verify if it does or does not.

An absolute ban on the "possession" of otherwise legal firearms on the rental property probably violates several civil rights - both state and federal. Banning the carrying/use of firearms in the common areas (except to transport firearms into/out of the unit) seems to be allowable under the law.

I see two options possible:

1 - go to the people who issued the "notice" and discuss it with them as regards violations of your civil rights. Probably not a good idea unless you are well-versed in the subject and willing to expose yourself to accusations of possible other violations of the lease rules regarding conduct.

2 - consult with an attorney and request that they use their arts and skills to tell the people who issued the notice where they can file it. While it will cost you, it exposes you to less risk of screwing things up.

And finally - check your PMs.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    I would not consider laying a flyer by the door proper notice.
    With all due respect, it doesn't matter what you think - what matters is how the law reads.

You will note that I said "may" be amended - not can be or are - and yes delivering said notice at the front door may well constitute proper/legal notice. "At" the front door (which is what the OP said) could be taped to the door, laying on the floor inside, or on a table, but it does not matter w/o examining the RE laws of that state.

Indiana Landlord Tenant Laws are stipulated under the Article 31 of Title 32 of Indiana State Code. The Article comprises of all the legal provisions that explain the role of a landlord, the role of a tenant, the obligations and rights of both the parties and how their relationship should be brought into effect, carried out and terminated at the desirable or at an untoward time. The Article takes into account Indiana building norms and all other laws that relate to infrastructure, ownership of properties and fair housing practices.

There are a total of nine chapters in Article 31 that deals with Indiana Landlord Tenant Laws. The chapters discuss distinctly different aspects of the landlord tenant relationship and sheds light on all legal aspects that should be adhered to at all times.
    http://blog.landlordstation.com/expl...d-tenant-laws/

Generally 'holding over' beyond the effective notice period obligates one to the terms, presuming the change is otherwise legal.

No I am not an expert in Indiana RE law - though I have danced on the head of that pin in several other states and been so certified. If you think that gun laws and RKBA are tricky, you should delve into tenant/landlord laws more - there is less black letter law and fewer case history from which to draw.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 07-03-2014 at 10:10 AM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Banned
    Its not a crime anyway .. so I would not follow such an amendment ... make him evict me and wait for all those continuances etc ... cost the guy a few thousand bucks to kick you out.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Its not a crime anyway .. so I would not follow such an amendment ... make him evict me and wait for all those continuances etc ... cost the guy a few thousand bucks to kick you out.
    All expenses incurred in the recovery are chargeable - maybe not a big problem if you do not intend to rent again in the same area, don't care about your credit report, or the return of your security deposit.

There likely will be a major impact on your credit score too - affecting future home buying and credit cards.

Would seem far better and probably cheaper to resolve the problem as amicably as possible. Don't know why anyone would make getting a judgement against them easy.

I spoke to someone in the office about this matter and they assured me that I had nothing to worry about.

I spoke to someone in the office about this matter and they assured me that I had nothing to worry about.
    Did you get it in writing, affirmed to by a Notary under penalty of perjury? If not, I would not rest easy.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Is there a no firearms clause in your lease? That's primary issue...
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Also prohibited are paint guns?? So if I'm a car painter and have tools at home I can't live there?

Oh, you mean paint BALL guns? Shows how ignorant the author of the letter is.

Even still, a paintball gun is an issue? A SLINGSHOT? Are toy kidding me?
    "Sorry little Johnny, we can't live here because of that slingshot grandpa gave you for Christmas"

Stupid people **** me off

"I miss America"
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 07-04-2014 at 12:44 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast