• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC'ing at the Salem Fair

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Do you mean that you do not have your voice recorder running whenever you leave the house?

I learned the very hard way that doing so is like carrying your gun because you never know when you will need it, and when that happens you may not have time to get to it and turn it on.

Learn how long your recorder works, carry spare batteries, and swap them before they run down. (You may need an hour's grace period just in case that's when things go south on you.)

stay safe.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
I also recommend having that voice recorder with you at all times. The only two times I've had bad interactions with managers at any store I either hadn't started using one yet, or I'd just started using one and forgot it at home or in the car. The one case would've resulted in the acknowledgement of one ABC licensee that he and his fellow managers willingly serve folks past the point of drunkenness and rowdiness, but also claimed the place was "family friendly."

Both of these times I was in a place where I'd dined on several occasions with no issue at all and thought absolutely nothing about being caught off guard without a running recorder. Lesson learned.

Last edited:

thedevilrobyjohn

the fair aint fair

I go to an average of 20 or more fairs yearly in 5 different states. Its one of the many places where you pay someone to rob you. The food is good and who doesnt like to smell cow patties while they eat deep friend "fill in the blank"? But I love em and I havent missed the Salem fair since I was a kid. Open carried the last few years...not my attention getting cowboy rigs, fast draw rigs or desert eagles...just a little something iwb with handle out. Not sure anyone even noticed. The sgn said no illegal weapons. My .45 isnt illegal and I went in. I also push a stroller and a wheelchair, im an octopuss. I hope to be there tomm but this heat and my preggo is now on bed rest. Perhaps you will notice me, ill be the one in a cowboy hat open carrying while pushing a bed. Happy Fourth

WX4SNO

I've never had a problem OC'ing...nobody has said anything here in SW VA...my father-in-law believes it's because I look like a state trooper topping out at 6'4" and 275 Ibs. Anyhow, I will start carrying my recorder and thank you both for the advice!

I'll look for you thedevilrobyjohn...name here is Anthony and a Happy 4th to you as well!

thedevilrobyjohn

a ok

ocd today until closing...saw a few others ocing. Was clearly observed by police and other officials...nothing. The camel we rode seemed more nervous than anyone else. No one cared...cool

Last edited: