Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: No Open Carry in New Kent Gun Store

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,182

    No Open Carry in New Kent Gun Store

    From a VCDL.org email alert (if you don't get them... you can sign up here: https://www.vcdl.org/va-alert )

    ************************************************** ************
    3. If you like being insulted, do we have a Virginia gun store for you!
    ************************************************** ************

    A VCDL member brought to our attention a “No loaded guns” sign on the door of Absolute Outdoors in New Kent. EM Ed Levine sent them an email to confirm that policy.

    First, let me say that many gun stores have a “no loaded guns” policy. That’s because, unlike pretty much any other public place around, people are actually drawing guns and handling them in a gun store. That said, many stores have a better policy of saying that a person can have a holstered, loaded handgun as long as the gun never leaves the holster while the owner is in the store.

    So, if the “no loaded guns” was indeed Absolute Outdoors's policy, it wouldn’t be the best policy, but it wouldn’t be uncommon for such a business.

    However, the response Ed got back was, well, unbelievable and uncalled for.

    We report, you decide.

    Here is Ed’s email to Absolute Outdoors:

    On Jun 30, 2014 10:04 AM, <Ed> wrote:

    Hi -

    Someone told me that you guys have a sign on your door that prohibits the lawful carry of firearms by customers (unless they are law enforcement). [PVC: Here I will note that Ed should have said “...the lawful carry of a LOADED firearm by customers…” However, this would have been a good opportunity for the gun store to set the record straight.]

    I just wanted to confirm that before I put the word out to 30,000 Virginia gun owners.

    Thanks,

    Ed Levine
    Founder - Virginia Open Carry
    Executive Member - Virginia Citizens Defense League
    NRA - Life member and Instructor
    GOA - member



    The response back to Ed:

    In a message dated 6/30/2014 11:16:22 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, abowarehouse@gmail.com writes:

    You need to add to your list of titles:

    Loser
    Idiot
    In desperate need of a life
    life long member of the tiny dxxx club (obscenity removed)
    Just plain stupid

    Now that better describes you.

    Rick Baker, owner

    I'm usually there everyday so you should drop by and see me little man.



    Sounds like Sarah Brady wrote that clever response to Ed. Ed was in the Marines, so I’m not so sure that the “little man” thing fits him very well. ;-)

    There are lots of gun stores out there and I know that I, for one, won’t be headed to Absolute Outdoors anytime soon. I’ll be spending my money with gun dealers that treat gun owners in a friendly and respectful manner. There are plenty of them out there.
    Last edited by Blk97F150; 07-03-2014 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Edit to remove obscenity

  2. #2
    Regular Member glockfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    228
    I am not surprised I stopped by that shop once the owner is a jerk. No reason to go in that store.

  3. #3
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Thanks for posting BLK...I'm still having trouble seeing but wanted ti put it up. This needs to be re posted everywhere.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    184
    I went ahead and emailed the owner asking for a price quote on some expensive guns. Need to keep him busy as he wont have many customers now. When he responds il answer opps i guess there are cost for being an ANTI and ingorant. Ill spend my money elsewhere. Wonder what he is going to call me.

  5. #5
    Regular Member 2ndAmendmentMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Eastern Panhandle of WV
    Posts
    35

    Angry Absolutely Outdoors Reply to Email

    If you haven't seen this yet, or hasn't been posted here yet:

    http://gunssavelives.net/blog/busine...-carry-policy/

    On Jun 30, 2014 10:04 AM, [Ed Levine] wrote:
    Hi -
    Someone told me that you guys have a sign on your door that prohibits the lawful carry of firearms by customers (unless they are law enforcement).
    I just wanted to confirm that before I put the word out to 30,000 Virginia gun owners.
    Thanks,
    Ed Levine
    Founder Virginia Open Carry
    Executive Member Virginia Citizens Defense League
    NRA Life member and Instructor
    GOA member
    On Jun 30, 2014 11:16 AM, [Absolutely Outdoors] writes:
    You need to add to your list of titles:
    Loser
    Idiot
    In desperate need of a life
    life long member of the tiny dick club
    Just plain stupid
    Now that better describes you.
    [Redacted], owner
    Im usually there everyday so you should drop by and see me little man.

  6. #6
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentMom View Post
    If you haven't seen this yet, or hasn't been posted here yet:

    http://gunssavelives.net/blog/busine...-carry-policy/
    Old news...already posted here and nearly everywhere else. He managed to make himself the laughing stock of Virginia. He's probably a dog hunter.

  7. #7
    Regular Member 2ndAmendmentMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Eastern Panhandle of WV
    Posts
    35
    My apologies for sucking at the search Thank you.

    Could you point me to one of the other threads?
    Last edited by 2ndAmendmentMom; 07-18-2014 at 11:37 AM.

  8. #8
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentMom View Post
    My apologies for sucking at the search Thank you.

    Could you point me to one of the other threads?
    The search engine here needs some TLC....

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...Kent-Gun-Store

    And elsewhere

    http://www.vahuntingforum.com/showth...light=outdoors
    Last edited by peter nap; 07-18-2014 at 01:11 PM.

  9. #9
    Regular Member 2ndAmendmentMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Eastern Panhandle of WV
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by conhntr View Post
    I went ahead and emailed the owner asking for a price quote on some expensive guns. Need to keep him busy as he wont have many customers now. When he responds il answer opps i guess there are cost for being an ANTI and ingorant. Ill spend my money elsewhere. Wonder what he is going to call me.
    Nice way to do it... might get the point across more than berating him...

  10. #10
    Regular Member The Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Henrico
    Posts
    2,139
    This is just a little bit disturbing. A grown adult business owner acting like a troll and a child. Little man? Little d***? Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black to me...

  11. #11
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    This is just a little bit disturbing. A grown adult business owner acting like a troll and a child. Little man? Little d***? Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black to me...
    New Kent Dog Hunter.....toughest talking bunch of blowhards alive.

  12. #12
    Regular Member glockfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    228
    Be it noted that CSA has a sign that says "All firearms must be cased and unloaded when entering the store or range (this excludes law enforcement)"

    Another sign says, "Concealed carry firearms must be unloaded in the safe zone prior to entering the range if they are to be fired."

    Which seems to mean that CC is fine but OC is only for LEO.

    Regardless the CSA sign is not much better than the one in New Kent.

  13. #13
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by glockfan View Post
    Be it noted that CSA has a sign that says "All firearms must be cased and unloaded when entering the store or range (this excludes law enforcement)"

    Another sign says, "Concealed carry firearms must be unloaded in the safe zone prior to entering the range if they are to be fired."

    Which seems to mean that CC is fine but OC is only for LEO.

    Regardless the CSA sign is not much better than the one in New Kent.
    No it's not any different and has been discussed here at length, I had a very loud and unpleasant discussion with the head honcho once where I was threatened. I believe the exact words were "Oh, you're one of them....OK, let's get it on"

    I Honestly don't understand why any self respecting gun owner would go there....but they do.

  14. #14
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,619
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    No it's not any different and has been discussed here at length, I had a very loud and unpleasant discussion with the head honcho once where I was threatened. I believe the exact words were "Oh, you're one of them....OK, let's get it on"

    I Honestly don't understand why any self respecting gun owner would go there....but they do.
    My conclusion is that they leave their self-respect outside
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    No it's not any different and has been discussed here at length, I had a very loud and unpleasant discussion with the head honcho once where I was threatened. I believe the exact words were "Oh, you're one of them....OK, let's get it on"

    I Honestly don't understand why any self respecting gun owner would go there....but they do.
    I was there on Saturday for the NRA basic pistol course. I did enjoy my experience and it is a very nice range. I do see where the sign is kind of a slap in the face. I asked my instructor why that is the policy and his basic explanation was to get a concealed carry permit in virginia one must take a class. For one to open carry he does not. I do see a point on both sides and I am not trying to start anything as I am very new to all of this. Personally, I won't be going back because I hate driving on that side of the water and the fact that I sat in traffic for over an hour trying to get back home. Living in Hampton I am very limited where I can shoot.

  16. #16
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by rmitcheltree5001 View Post
    I was there on Saturday for the NRA basic pistol course. I did enjoy my experience and it is a very nice range. I do see where the sign is kind of a slap in the face. I asked my instructor why that is the policy and his basic explanation was to get a concealed carry permit in virginia one must take a class. For one to open carry he does not. I do see a point on both sides and I am not trying to start anything as I am very new to all of this. Personally, I won't be going back because I hate driving on that side of the water and the fact that I sat in traffic for over an hour trying to get back home. Living in Hampton I am very limited where I can shoot.
    Well....since they ban other instructors from the property I suppose the argument is all CHP's have to take OUR class.

    But that isn't true either. Anyone who had a hunter safety course can get a CHP....wait, anyone that ever had a CHP, even in the old days when no class was required like me is exempt.

    Glad you're not going back for whatever reason though.

    BTW....if you want other classes, Proshooter who is a member here and a believer in OC as well as CC. gives some of the best classes in the state. He can't go on Colonial property because he is an instructor but he has his own outdoor range. Using his services gives better instruction and doesn't reward the trash at Colonial. Dealing with them is like sending money to Sarah Brady.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Well....since they ban other instructors from the property I suppose the argument is all CHP's have to take OUR class.

    But that isn't true either. Anyone who had a hunter safety course can get a CHP....wait, anyone that ever had a CHP, even in the old days when no class was required like me is exempt.

    Glad you're not going back for whatever reason though.

    BTW....if you want other classes, Proshooter who is a member here and a believer in OC as well as CC. gives some of the best classes in the state. He can't go on Colonial property because he is an instructor but he has his own outdoor range. Using his services gives better instruction and doesn't reward the trash at Colonial. Dealing with them is like sending money to Sarah Brady.
    Yeah I see your point now. I forgot about the hunter safety course which I have taken and that has nothing to do with how to handle a firearm. Thanks for the heads up about Proshooter as I need more instruction. I did feel comfortable for my first time but I need a lot more instruction before I would ever consider open carry and even before I have a loaded pistol in my home for self defense. I do however, need to get on the ball as criminals who decide to do a home invasion are not going to wait for me to train..lol

  18. #18
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849
    Search around and the business and owner are both getting really terrible reviews. So word is out as are the customers with the owner's business area. Serves this piece of sh-- right. We can hope and pray he goes out of business and loses his butt in the process.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  19. #19
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    Search around and the business and owner are both getting really terrible reviews. So word is out as are the customers with the owner's business area. Serves this piece of sh-- right. We can hope and pray he goes out of business and loses his butt in the process.
    As much as it probably won't happen, I'd prefer they saw the light. The facility itself is decent (including excellent handicap access) and the fact that it is located in Henrico County - despite the good old boy networking that had to have been involved in getting that to happen - is a plus.

    Anybody want to start a crowdsource fund campaign in anticipation of buying the place?

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  20. #20
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    As much as it probably won't happen, I'd prefer they saw the light. The facility itself is decent (including excellent handicap access) and the fact that it is located in Henrico County - despite the good old boy networking that had to have been involved in getting that to happen - is a plus.

    Anybody want to start a crowdsource fund campaign in anticipation of buying the place?

    stay safe.
    Someone else coming in, who is cognizant of his patrons' base, and buying the place out is a good idea. I do hate to see businesses go under but not the bad ones. The market has a way of punishing those who are not responsive to their customers and worse, are arrogant and abusive to them. This is a good thing and how it should be.

    Let this pr--k get his just desserts and maybe a business person will enter the picture who appreciates those who pay his bills, his mortgage, put food on his table, and provide for his family.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  21. #21
    Accomplished Advocate BB62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,887
    Quote Originally Posted by rmitcheltree5001 View Post
    I was there on Saturday for the NRA basic pistol course. I did enjoy my experience and it is a very nice range. I do see where the sign is kind of a slap in the face. I asked my instructor why that is the policy and his basic explanation was to get a concealed carry permit in virginia one must take a class. For one to open carry he does not. I do see a point on both sides and I am not trying to start anything as I am very new to all of this. Personally, I won't be going back because I hate driving on that side of the water and the fact that I sat in traffic for over an hour trying to get back home. Living in Hampton I am very limited where I can shoot.
    I suggest you ask the owner the following:

    Does he believe in the RIGHT to keep and bear arms?

    Please name a RIGHT whose exercise requires government mandated training.

    How many other RIGHTS does he believe should require government mandated training?

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,171
    Quote Originally Posted by BB62 View Post
    I suggest you ask the owner the following:

    Does he believe in the RIGHT to keep and bear arms?

    Please name a RIGHT whose exercise requires government mandated training.

    How many other RIGHTS does he believe should require government mandated training?
    I suggest we just spread the word and let him starve to death thanks to his "brilliant" business plan. Insulting his potential customers will NOT grow his business.

    This time next year this loser will be working with Al Bundy selling shoes.

  23. #23
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Well....since they ban other instructors from the property I suppose the argument is all CHP's have to take OUR class.

    But that isn't true either. Anyone who had a hunter safety course can get a CHP....wait, anyone that ever had a CHP, even in the old days when no class was required like me is exempt.

    Glad you're not going back for whatever reason though.

    BTW....if you want other classes, Proshooter who is a member here and a believer in OC as well as CC. gives some of the best classes in the state. He can't go on Colonial property because he is an instructor but he has his own outdoor range. Using his services gives better instruction and doesn't reward the trash at Colonial. Dealing with them is like sending money to Sarah Brady.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmitcheltree5001 View Post
    Yeah I see your point now. I forgot about the hunter safety course which I have taken and that has nothing to do with how to handle a firearm. Thanks for the heads up about Proshooter as I need more instruction. I did feel comfortable for my first time but I need a lot more instruction before I would ever consider open carry and even before I have a loaded pistol in my home for self defense. I do however, need to get on the ball as criminals who decide to do a home invasion are not going to wait for me to train..lol
    Thank you for the mention, Peter Nap!

    rmitcheltree5001 - Wish you came to us first, we're less expensive and we won't make you shoot a .22...LOL! We have an NRA Basic Pistol Class coming up on the 26th. Would have loved to have you in it.

    Feel free to contact me for any training needs that you have.
    Last edited by ProShooter; 07-21-2014 at 12:38 PM.
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  24. #24
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Well....since they ban other instructors from the property I suppose the argument is all CHP's have to take OUR class.

    But that isn't true either. Anyone who had a hunter safety course can get a CHP....wait, anyone that ever had a CHP, even in the old days when no class was required like me is exempt.

    Glad you're not going back for whatever reason though.

    BTW....if you want other classes, Proshooter who is a member here and a believer in OC as well as CC. gives some of the best classes in the state. He can't go on Colonial property because he is an instructor but he has his own outdoor range. Using his services gives better instruction and doesn't reward the trash at Colonial. Dealing with them is like sending money to Sarah Brady.
    Having attended one of his courses, I will second ProShooter as a goto source for quality training and information.
    Last edited by SouthernBoy; 07-21-2014 at 01:17 PM.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  25. #25
    Regular Member wrearick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Posts
    635
    sorry I am getting confused ..... are folks making comments/statements about "CSA" or about "Absolutely Outdoors" which was the establishment the OP started the discussion about?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •