• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No Open Carry in New Kent Gun Store

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I was there on Saturday for the NRA basic pistol course. I did enjoy my experience and it is a very nice range. I do see where the sign is kind of a slap in the face. I asked my instructor why that is the policy and his basic explanation was to get a concealed carry permit in virginia one must take a class. For one to open carry he does not. I do see a point on both sides and I am not trying to start anything as I am very new to all of this. Personally, I won't be going back because I hate driving on that side of the water and the fact that I sat in traffic for over an hour trying to get back home. Living in Hampton I am very limited where I can shoot.
I suggest you ask the owner the following:

Does he believe in the RIGHT to keep and bear arms?

Please name a RIGHT whose exercise requires government mandated training.

How many other RIGHTS does he believe should require government mandated training?

va_tazdad

I suggest you ask the owner the following:

Does he believe in the RIGHT to keep and bear arms?

Please name a RIGHT whose exercise requires government mandated training.

How many other RIGHTS does he believe should require government mandated training?

I suggest we just spread the word and let him starve to death thanks to his "brilliant" business plan. Insulting his potential customers will NOT grow his business.

This time next year this loser will be working with Al Bundy selling shoes.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Well....since they ban other instructors from the property I suppose the argument is all CHP's have to take OUR class.

But that isn't true either. Anyone who had a hunter safety course can get a CHP....wait, anyone that ever had a CHP, even in the old days when no class was required like me is exempt.

Glad you're not going back for whatever reason though.

BTW....if you want other classes, Proshooter who is a member here and a believer in OC as well as CC. gives some of the best classes in the state. He can't go on Colonial property because he is an instructor but he has his own outdoor range. Using his services gives better instruction and doesn't reward the trash at Colonial. Dealing with them is like sending money to Sarah Brady.
Yeah I see your point now. I forgot about the hunter safety course which I have taken and that has nothing to do with how to handle a firearm. Thanks for the heads up about Proshooter as I need more instruction. I did feel comfortable for my first time but I need a lot more instruction before I would ever consider open carry and even before I have a loaded pistol in my home for self defense. I do however, need to get on the ball as criminals who decide to do a home invasion are not going to wait for me to train..lol

Thank you for the mention, Peter Nap!

rmitcheltree5001 - Wish you came to us first, we're less expensive and we won't make you shoot a .22...LOL! We have an NRA Basic Pistol Class coming up on the 26th. Would have loved to have you in it.

Feel free to contact me for any training needs that you have.

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Well....since they ban other instructors from the property I suppose the argument is all CHP's have to take OUR class.

But that isn't true either. Anyone who had a hunter safety course can get a CHP....wait, anyone that ever had a CHP, even in the old days when no class was required like me is exempt.

Glad you're not going back for whatever reason though.

BTW....if you want other classes, Proshooter who is a member here and a believer in OC as well as CC. gives some of the best classes in the state. He can't go on Colonial property because he is an instructor but he has his own outdoor range. Using his services gives better instruction and doesn't reward the trash at Colonial. Dealing with them is like sending money to Sarah Brady.

Having attended one of his courses, I will second ProShooter as a goto source for quality training and information.

Last edited:

wrearick

sorry I am getting confused ..... are folks making comments/statements about "CSA" or about "Absolutely Outdoors" which was the establishment the OP started the discussion about?

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
Be it noted that CSA has a sign that says "All firearms must be cased and unloaded when entering the store or range (this excludes law enforcement)"

Another sign says, "Concealed carry firearms must be unloaded in the safe zone prior to entering the range if they are to be fired."

Which seems to mean that CC is fine but OC is only for LEO.

Regardless the CSA sign is not much better than the one in New Kent.

http://www.facebook.com/colonialshootingacademy