Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Question about transporting firearms to/from Guam

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    902

    Question about transporting firearms to/from Guam

    For anyone who has had to transport firearms to/from Guam. Do you need to declare them to U.S. Customs (CBP, not Guam's version of Customs)? I know when you leave the U.S. you need a CBP form 4457; however, being that Guam is outside of the Customs territory, I wasn't sure if this was required or not.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    For anyone who has had to transport firearms to/from Guam. Do you need to declare them to U.S. Customs (CBP, not Guam's version of Customs)? I know when you leave the U.S. you need a CBP form 4457; however, being that Guam is outside of the Customs territory, I wasn't sure if this was required or not.

    Thanks
    Look to your other post covering the SAME TOPIC (almost verbatim) but different US TERRITORY!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

  3. #3
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,603
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    For anyone who has had to transport firearms to/from Guam. Do you need to declare them to U.S. Customs (CBP, not Guam's version of Customs)? I know when you leave the U.S. you need a CBP form 4457; however, being that Guam is outside of the Customs territory, I wasn't sure if this was required or not.

    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    Look to your other post covering the SAME TOPIC (almost verbatim) but different US TERRITORY!
    Don't see that the question was answered on either thread.

    Please note that double posting the same issue is considered spamming.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  4. #4
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828
    It would seem to logically if one uis required to pass through customs then one would be required to fill out the customs forms. Conversely, if not passing customs then no customs forms necessary. This is logical, now as to what the overly bloated and invasive law requires, I don't know.

    Still didn't answer the query, did I?
    Last edited by JoeSparky; 07-04-2014 at 07:32 AM.
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    902
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Don't see that the question was answered on either thread.

    Please note that double posting the same issue is considered spamming.
    Really, I've been posting on here for 8 years and I'm "spamming"?

    It's not a double post because both territories are different. Guam has their own customs officers per federal law. The Virgin Islands do not.

    Since they are treated differently, one answer for one territory does not necessarily apply to the other. There is no information on this ANYWHERE and it would be nice to have an answer.

    Sorry I asked a gun question on a gun forum......

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    902
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    It would seem to logically if one uis required to pass through customs then one would be required to fill out the customs forms. Conversely, if not passing customs then no customs forms necessary. This is logical, now as to what the overly bloated and invasive law requires, I don't know.

    Still didn't answer the query, did I?
    Not necessarily, that's why I'm trying to figure it out. Customs generally wants to know what you are importing. If it's being imported you need ATF form 6 and you must declare it. You are not importing if you are bringing it to from Guam/Hawaii but it's a bit complicated. From the ATF's perspective, guns in any territory or possession are not imported or exported.

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran MSG Laigaie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Philipsburg, Montana
    Posts
    3,135
    When I was on the Island, my household goods were moved by the Army. No worries going TO Guam. Leaving the island, my weapons were inventoried by the Air Force. They counted most of them, but considered the AR7 just a stock, and not a weapon because they did not know what it was. Because I had so many weapons and my ammo count was in excess of ten thousand rounds, they listed me as an "arsenal" and posted the document on their office wall. Seems they had not seen that many or that variety.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •