Thread: Crime to post vulgar insults on Arena, WI police department Facebook page? Wisc.CA

Crime to post vulgar insults on Arena, WI police department Facebook page? Wisc.CA

Crime to post comments containing vulgar insults on police department Facebook page?

https://www.wicourts.gov/ca/opinion/...l&seqNo=115994
    "APPEAL from a judgment of the circuit court for Iowa County: William D. Dyke, Judge. Reversed and cause remanded with directions."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/v...facebook-page/

The censor-bot abused the judge's name disrespectfully.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

The Court's analysis is an interesting cautionary note for wannabe-notorious bloggers here. One may beat the rap, here on appeal, but one will not beat the ride!
    Last edited by Nightmare; 07-04-2014 at 08:41 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Might be an interesting summer in the sleepy little tourist town of Somerset. Got the alert set for the crusader. I absolutely luv the WCCA.

Banned
    LUNDSTEN, J.[1] Thomas Smith appeals a judgment convicting him, after a jury trial, of disorderly conduct and unlawful use of a computerized communication system. The convictions for these misdemeanor crimes were based on two comments Smith posted on a police department Facebook page. Smith argues that the circuit court should have granted his motion to dismiss because his Facebook comments were protected speech. The State argues that the comments are not protected speech because they are “fighting words.” The State does not persuade me that Smith’s comments can reasonably be construed as fighting words. And, the State’s briefing provides no other basis on which to uphold Smith’s convictions. Accordingly, I reverse and remand for the circuit court to vacate the judgment and dismiss the charges against Smith.

His words were protected speech. To say that one cannot use a string of obscenities in objecting to gov't activities because one may get arrested just due to the fear of being arrested is like not carrying due to the fear of being arrested for the same exact charge.

I saw nothing wrong with the guy's post.

And its a shame that people in this country don't know what is protected speech or not. Shame on the members of the jury !

And I have even worse words for the first judge who did not vacate the jury's decision. Crap judge.
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 07-04-2014 at 11:33 AM.