Thread: Bad week for felons who want to have guns. Co. v Carbajal and La. v Eberhardt

Bad week for felons who want to have guns. Co. v Carbajal and La. v Eberhardt

"Supreme courts in the two states that seemed potentially most open to preserving felons’ rights to keep and bear arms — Colorado and Louisiana — have rejected such claims."
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/v...t-to-own-guns/

http://www.cobar.org/opinions/opinio...9426&courtid=2

http://www.lasc.org/opinions/2014/13KK2306.opn.pdf
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    Any freeman has rights in this country ... courts got it wrong. Again.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Any freeman has rights in this country ... courts got it wrong. Again.
    Of course, with the antecedent affirmed, modus ponens. A felon is arguably not a freeman.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Of course, with the antecedent affirmed, modus ponens. A felon is arguably not a freeman.
    And if I remember correctly that felon status affects a certain minority more than other members of society. Just a sneaky form of racism by gun control. Where the hell is the ACLU?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	race_population_prison.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	11783  
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 07-04-2014 at 12:49 PM.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

A felon who has served his or her time is most certainly a freeman.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    And if I remember correctly that felon status affects a certain minority more than other members of society. Just a sneaky form of racism by gun control. Where the hell is the ACLU?
    The first corroborating statistic is that just 3% of convicted male felons recount having a "good relationship with their father," compared to more than 30% of males in the population at large. The second corroborating statistic is the several times higher rate black children who grow up without their fathers than white children, a statistic which is independent of the father's income.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    A felon who has served his or her time is most certainly a freeman.
    A freeman has rights, a felon has none.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    A freeman has rights, a felon has none.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

I am not sure the point you are trying to make.

"Created equal" does not mean they stay equal. The starting line is the same but the success and failures of the person, their acts will affect their status.

While felons were born with the same rights as everyone else, their lack of respect for those rights of others result in the revocation of certain of their rights.

If a felon may properly be disbarred rights under color of law, then we all can legally be disarmed merely by sufficiently lowering the bar of felony; as has been done for many unprotected groups, stressed vets, alleged abusers, victims of unwarranted restraining orders, &c. The psychologization of dissent proceeds.

If a felon may properly be disbarred rights under color of law, then we all can legally be disarmed merely by sufficiently lowering the bar of felony; as has been done for many unprotected groups, stressed vets, alleged abusers, victims of unwarranted restraining orders, &c. The psychologization of dissent proceeds.
    +1
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

I agree with Nightmare and Walking Wolf, and restate my premise, with emphasis on the qualifier: "A felon who has served his or her time is most certainly a freeman."

Whether they're treated like a freeman by a society depends on how twisted the society. Honorable societies will honor felons who have served their time. Dishonorable societies will not.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    I agree with Nightmare and Walking Wolf, and restate my premise, with emphasis on the qualifier: "A felon who has served his or her time is most certainly a freeman."

Whether they're treated like a freeman by a society depends on how twisted the society. Honorable societies will honor felons who have served their time. Dishonorable societies will not.
    Once convicted of a felony, most are never again freemen. Once more, a freeman has rights, but a felon is deprived those rights. You can say whatever you want about honorable/dishonorable societies whatever you want. It still does not change the fact that felons, most often, are denied their rights for the rest of their lives. Therefore they are not freemen.

The argumentative vacillate between what-IS and what-OUGHT-TO-BE.

So what did they do with person's rights at the time of the Founding? Oh, that's right their rights were recognized after incarceration. The idea to prohibit a felon from ever being allowed to be in possession of a firearm was codified in the Gun Control Act of 1968. Funny they even gave away it's intent in the title. Even funnier, all those supposed 2nd Amendment supporters who defend it. I guess gun control isn't as distasteful to them as some imply.
    AUDE VIDE TACE