• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

City of Redmond vs state preemption

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
Seems to fail preemption how?

"The state of Washington hereby fully occupies and preempts the entire field of firearms regulation within the boundaries of the state, including the registration, licensing, possession, purchase, sale, acquisition, transfer, discharge, and transportation of firearms, or any other element relating to firearms or parts thereof, including ammunition and reloader components. Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities may enact only those laws and ordinances relating to firearms that are specifically authorized by state law, as in RCW 9.41.300, and are consistent with this chapter..."

"...(2) Cities, towns, counties, and other municipalities may enact laws and ordinances:

(a) Restricting the discharge of firearms in any portion of their respective jurisdictions where there is a reasonable likelihood that humans, domestic animals, or property will be jeopardized. Such laws and ordinances shall not abridge the right of the individual guaranteed by Article I, section 24 of the state Constitution to bear arms in defense of self or others; and..."

I did a quick read of the Redmond ordinance and it seems simply about business licensing requirements for a range. RCW says cities can pass ordinances on where firearms can be discharged in the city, city probably restricts it to a "Shooting Sports Facility" and the city can certainly set it's licensing requirements for that type of business just as they do for other businesses.

Nothing jumped out at me that would appear to violate preemption as it is putting requirements on a business being licensed as a "Shooting Sports Facility" and not any requirement or restrictions related to the "..registration, licensing, possession, purchase, sale, acquisition, transfer, discharge, and transportation of firearms, or any other element relating to firearms or parts thereof, including ammunition and reloader components..." .

Preemption only applies to some very specific issues, not anything and everything firearm related.

Freedom1Man

Seems to fail preemption how?

"The state of Washington hereby fully occupies and preempts the entire field of firearms regulation within the boundaries of the state, including the registration, licensing, possession, purchase, sale, acquisition, transfer, discharge, and transportation of firearms, or any other element relating to firearms or parts thereof, including ammunition and reloader components. Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities may enact only those laws and ordinances relating to firearms that are specifically authorized by state law, as in RCW 9.41.300, and are consistent with this chapter..."

"...(2) Cities, towns, counties, and other municipalities may enact laws and ordinances:

(a) Restricting the discharge of firearms in any portion of their respective jurisdictions [/B]where there is a reasonable likelihood that humans, domestic animals, or property will be jeopardized. Such laws and ordinances shall not abridge the right of the individual guaranteed by Article I, section 24 of the state Constitution to bear arms in defense of self or others; and..."

I did a quick read of the Redmond ordinance and it seems simply about business licensing requirements for a range. RCW says cities can pass ordinances on where firearms can be discharged in the city, city probably restricts it to a "Shooting Sports Facility" and the city can certainly set it's licensing requirements for that type of business just as they do for other businesses.

Nothing jumped out at me that would appear to violate preemption as it is putting requirements on a business being licensed as a "Shooting Sports Facility" and not any requirement or restrictions related to the "..registration, licensing, possession, purchase, sale, acquisition, transfer, discharge, and transportation of firearms, or any other element relating to firearms or parts thereof, including ammunition and reloader components..." .

Preemption only applies to some very specific issues, not anything and everything firearm related.

That restricted shooting has limited authority for a city.

mikeyb