• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question for CCW with a questionable background

doctormotor22

Hello all,

I want your thoughts!

I am a 28 year old trying to apply for my CCW in Butte County, Ca(easier than most in Ca). I have been around firearms my entire life and have great firearm safety. However, I grew up in a party town and made some dumb "kid" mistakes.
My record:
06' drunk in public that was just a catch and release and i was never charged
08' i got a resisting arrest charge(i never resisted at all) and this has been expunged from my record
09' drunk in public that i was released from in the morning and never charged.

**(please refrain from judging. it was definitely mistakes made on my part but i never harmed anyone or anything)

Since, i have been spotless with not even a speeding ticket. I have gone through Respiratory therapy with more than 3.5 gpa, and been licensed in health care by the state of california.

Do i have a chance at obtaining my CCW?

cjohnson44546

if you were never charged... not sure how you'd fail the background check...

but remember that being drunk and having guns at the same time is a bad idea... in fact being drunk is a bad idea all on its own.

EMNofSeattle

Well it appears Butte County is shall issue under their official CCW Policy

http://www.buttecounty.net/Portals/24/Permits/CCW_Application.pdf

Although you must list your arrests and disposition. From the wording of their published policy, which I believe but don't quote me, is required under CA law that they have a clear policy published for issuance, it appears you would have no issue. I would just apply, it's been 5 years since your last issue, that's a long time staying out of trouble, none of the charges were something that disqualifies you from owning a gun. I say you stand a chance but CA is always a crap shoot,

doctormotor22

Well it appears Butte County is shall issue under their official CCW Policy

http://www.buttecounty.net/Portals/24/Permits/CCW_Application.pdf

Although you must list your arrests and disposition. From the wording of their published policy, which I believe but don't quote me, is required under CA law that they have a clear policy published for issuance, it appears you would have no issue. I would just apply, it's been 5 years since your last issue, that's a long time staying out of trouble, none of the charges were something that disqualifies you from owning a gun. I say you stand a chance but CA is always a crap shoot,

Thanks for the responses. I would never drink and carry!

Does anyone know if a letter of recommendation from a retired highway patrol help my cause? I really dont want to be denied.

ctijerina

I'm 27 I had some bumps when I was younger, I straightened out and a few years later I took my class with the thought that something would pop up from my past. It took 11 weeks but I finally got mine.