Thread: Is, being anti-gun a mental illness?

Is, being anti-gun a mental illness?

http://bearingarms.com/gun-control-a...paign=baupdate

Blaming inanimate objects for the actions of people is a pattern of behavior that self-righteous zealots have been using since prehistory. Here in the United States, the most successful expression of that insanity was the Temperance Movement that sprung up after the Civil War.

The Temperance Movement blamed alcohol for the actions of people. In that regard, Shannon Watts is little more than Carrie Nation, though Watts is much better compensated than the possibly mentally ill woman who was the driving force behind Prohibition.

I think so.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

If you're willing to categorize mental illness so broadly then what is left that isn't mental illness....

The problem is, if we can find a way to categorize everyone as mentally ill. Then does it mean anything to even have the term?
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Which mental disease did you have in mind? There are a multitude of possibilities, and the diagnosis can range from mild to severe.

And the same can be said of all the folks that support RKBA.

The real issue is not deciding which diagnosis to pick but getting someone with the approppriate state guild membership card to sign on the form.

Before I retirted I had two out of the required three signatures lined up for a disability p[ension. Then I retired and wound up with a disability pension for some totally unrelated diagnoses. Guess I should have been more careful what I wished for.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

the one in the article is a weeping angel, don't blink or you will be turned to...

too late i'm afraid...

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    No.

But, being a liberal is a genetic defect, not a mental condition by definition.....liberals are born that way and as such cannot be changed. Fortunately this genetic defect is not in the majority of the population, only about 20%, 30% tops.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    No.

But, being a liberal is a genetic defect, not a mental condition by definition.....liberals are born that way and as such cannot be changed. Fortunately this genetic defect is not in the majority of the population, only about 20%, 30% tops.
    luckily there is a cure ! need: three to six inches of water in a large enough container to contain a human head ...

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Ignorance and stupidity aren't necessarily indicative of mental illness..
    Advocate freedom please

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    True, clinically speaking. However, stupid/crazy people do stupid/crazy things.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    Ignorance, like virginity, can be cured. Stupidity is a permanent condition.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Ignorance, like virginity, can be cured. Stupidity is a permanent condition.

stay safe.
    So, stupidity is an incurable disease of the mind. A mental condition and as such it would be a mental illness.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    So, stupidity is an incurable disease of the mind. A mental condition and as such it would be a mental illness.
    No! Stupidity is a failure to learn when info or experiences are presented. A mental illness many times results in misperception of the data available. This misperception could most likely interfere with the appropriate integration of data and information and experience with knowledge.
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Hoplophobia would be a mental illness, but not all anti-gun wackos are hoplophobes. Some are, but I believe the majority are simply victims of an inability to think for themselves and a lack of logical insight on the issue of firearms. Pax...
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

http://www.phobiasource.com/hoplopho...r-of-firearms/

Do not confuse "mental disorder" with politically motivated acts to eradicate individual liberty. Most anti-gun folks reside in the later category. It is not a "fear" of guns but a fear of liberty being exercised without permission, their permission.

Centurion
    Reported as spam
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Keep in mind that not all anti gunners are nuts. Gun control is a lobby industry, just like NRA, for the people leading the charge it is about money. Some of these people are well educated so they are not stupid, the people they lead though are. Gun control is also about power and the desire to control the actions of others. It is more anti "live and let live" than anti gun. Notice that rabid anti gunners are so willing to confront people carrying the very objects they claim is their fear. Why in the world would anybody in their right mind verbally attack someone with one of those scary inanimate objects. The answer is easy, they do not fear the object, but have to control somebody for something.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Exclamation mental?

No - but it is juvenile.

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    the one in the article is a weeping angel, don't blink or you will be turned to...

too late i'm afraid...

ipse
    turned to what? If it was a "weeping angel" and got to Watts... maybe if she got sent to the past she'd get a new found respect for needing weapons to defend herself, but she'd probably be dead in a few days or much less.

I don't think there is any mental illness here... too much is called mental illness when its just stupidity... or the highly ignorant that think they are knowledgeable, and too stubborn to actually learn anything.

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson44546 View Post
    turned to what? If it was a "weeping angel" and got to Watts... maybe if she got sent to the past she'd get a new found respect for needing weapons to defend herself, but she'd probably be dead in a few days or much less.

I don't think there is any mental illness here... too much is called mental illness when its just stupidity... or the highly ignorant that think they are knowledgeable, and too stubborn to actually learn anything.
    BUt, But, But...

If it is classified as a "mental illness" then they have no need to bear the consequences of their actions because it just isn't their fault. They have no control of what the "mental illness" makes them do!

/ may be some sarcasm
    Last edited by JoeSparky; 07-10-2014 at 04:58 PM.

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    luckily there is a cure ! need: three to six inches of water in a large enough container to contain a human head ...
    So do you normally reference murder? or just every now and then?!
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.