• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

July 4th Veteran shoot at gunman under new CC rights in Chicago

BillHoo

July 4th Veteran returns fire at gunman under new CC rights in Chicago

http://news.yahoo.com/veteran-concealed-carry-permit-shoots-back-chicago-gunman-031804649.html

"Had Friday’s shooting occurred a little more than a year ago, the veteran would not have been legally permitted to conceal carry his firearm.

Illinois was the last U.S. state to allow citizens to carry concealed weapons with a permit, finally passing a law on July 9, 2013. The state began issuing conceal carry permits in February."

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Forget the fact that he is a veteran - some folks not yet in their teens who live there have seen more combat than many veterans.

Seven people died and approximately 50 were injured in shootings that took place in Chicago over the weekend. The city has among the highest violent crime rates among major U.S. cities.

I hate to think what their violent crime rate is when compared to minor U.S. cities and small towns.

This whole incident smells of the need to address "disrespect" - touch my liquor bottle without permission? I'll kill you! (Regardless of the "disrespect" showed by putting your liquor bottle on top of somebody else's car in the first place.:banghead: ) That's some mighty fine problem resolution skills being displayed. (That's sarcasm, for anybody that missed it the first time around.:p )

stay safe.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
........ some folks not yet in their teens who live there have seen more combat than many veterans.

I hate to think what their violent crime rate is when compared to minor U.S. cities and small towns.

This whole incident smells of the need to address "disrespect" ....... That's some mighty fine problem resolution skills being displayed. (That's sarcasm, for anybody that missed it the first time around.:p )

stay safe. (by staying out of chicago)

It seems this is the way they were "trained". Problem? Shoot the guy. Criminals/thugs have weapons and LACs do not so it makes it an easy way out. Skid is spot on with the "respect" thing. You have all seen the tatoos.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The city has among the highest violent crime rates among major U.S. cities.

Bloomberg must be devastated - NYC is not #1.

willy1094

Divide veterans from citizens and conquer. Either we are equal or we are not.
I have no problem holding a veteran on a higher pedestal than myself. Our rights are equal, and I know the point you are trying to make, but I will always believe that a veteran deserves more from this government as well as other citizens.

What are the "spam reported" posts about?

KBCraig

Our rights are equal, and I know the point you are trying to make, but I will always believe that a veteran deserves more from this government as well as other citizens.

As a veteran (as well as son of a veteran, father of a veteran, father-in-law of an active duty soldier, brother-in-law and son-in-law to career retiree veterans, etc.), I disagree.

We should get exactly what we contracted for. Nothing more, nothing less.

And I personally take affront at "thank you for serving our country", because the last time a service member repelled an attack on U.S. soil was December 7, 1941.

willy1094

And I personally take affront at "thank you for serving our country", because the last time a service member repelled an attack on U.S. soil was December 7, 1941.

So why make the distinguishment that you are a veteran at all? That is a genuine question, not meant as confrontational. I am curious because you are the first person I have heard say you are offended in any way when someone recognizes your service. I know a lot of veterans, some reserve, some never saw battle, and some that did.