Thread: Why no ballot measures?

Why no ballot measures?

I am wondering why california has no put no ballot measures up for gun rights, I remember an election to amend the state constitution to prevent gay marriage, why no vote on gun rights? Shall issue CCW. Open carry? Etc etc etc

You have literally nothing to lose politically, and a victory at the ballot may slow down antis in the state legislature. Peruta will take years to resolve, so why not fashion a shall issue bill for the 2015 ballot and run with it? Losing CA may issue would also knock the wind out of the national anti gun movement?
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Banned
    Seems like when a proposition to change their constitution passes that liberals don't like, they won't support it anyway.

So maybe they think it would be a big waste of time..

Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    I am wondering why california has no put no ballot measures up for gun rights, I remember an election to amend the state constitution to prevent gay marriage, why no vote on gun rights? Shall issue CCW. Open carry? Etc etc etc

You have literally nothing to lose politically, and a victory at the ballot may slow down antis in the state legislature. Peruta will take years to resolve, so why not fashion a shall issue bill for the 2015 ballot and run with it? Losing CA may issue would also knock the wind out of the national anti gun movement?
    I have always asked for and proposed a ballot measure in California.

Why hasn't it been done ? I have no clue but when you ask the brainiacs over at Cal Guns they spew something about.........I don't know.

Personally I think a well written amendment would pass in California and we could accomplish something the courts and lawsuits and legislators wont.

Quote Originally Posted by NosePicker View Post
    I have always asked for and proposed a ballot measure in California.

Why hasn't it been done ? I have no clue but when you ask the brainiacs over at Cal Guns they spew something about.........I don't know.

Personally I think a well written amendment would pass in California and we could accomplish something the courts and lawsuits and legislators wont.
    That's the problem with the corporate gun rights movement, NRA, cal guns, various other groups, is that I think they honestly believe if they "win" the fight then they can't make money off of one anymore. They're great allies when there's trouble about, but they're never willing to take the offensive. That's why I like SAF, gottlieb is willing to bankroll a dozen lawsuits at a time....

What the californians need to do is have someone sponsor an amendment then get a mass movement to go to the NRA say fight with us or you'll never see another penny fom CA gun owners again....
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

So we are further divided, Independent from The Movement, 1%/Corporate from the 99%/Anonymous and statists from lieberaltarians. Divide, we are conquered.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post

2 Primary reasons.

1) It takes a minimum of about 2 million dollars to get an initiative on the ballot for something with popular support. For something unpopular, the cost is about 5-7 million. There is no way to get a proposition on the ballot in CA without paid signature gatherers (its the only possible way to make the deadlines) No gun rights organization in CA has that kind of cash except the NRA (and the NRA has practically abandoned CA)

2) Even if it got onto the ballot, there's a snowball's chance in hell it would pass. So that essentially makes it a 15-20 million dollar Public Relations campaign where the only people that will care about it are already on our side. The same money spent trying to slowly get our rights back will work better in the long run. The tide is turning, but we need to take it back as slowly as we lost it.