• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What law applies when someone harrasses you about your gun?

Av8r115

Does anyone on here know what law applies, and what does it say, when someone harasses you for carrying a gun?

Not long ago, an older gentlemen started yelling at me in the parking lot of Braum's, saying things like "Are you going in there to rob the place?" I was between him and the store, he was a good 25-30 feet away, so I just ignored him and went on into the store. He also came into the store. I kept an eye on him, and didn't have any more issues, although I heard him launch into an anti-gun rant at the lady at the register as I walked out of the store.

This event makes me want to be prepared should someone decide to make a bigger issue out of me carrying a gun. It seems whatever law applies to someone preventing you from going about your business would apply here, but I don't know what law that is or where to find it.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I find that people with bad manners who rant against RKBA in public do more to help our cause than they might ever imagine. The target (pun intended) audience just isn't drinking the Kool-Aid anymore.

I tend to smile and laugh at them while continuing with what I was doing - frustrates them in no small way :D

As to the legal question, unless there is actually a physical threat, I don't know of any law that would apply. The property owner can ask the offender to leave of course - disturbing the peace might be a consideration.

Glock 1st fan

In Oklahoma there are a variety of charges to select from:

http://www.stopstreetharassment.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/SSH-KYR-Oklahoma.pdf

Find the one(s) you like, read the specific law to make sure it will fit, and enter the location of your local magistrate into your GPS as the cops may or may not agree with your assessment that someone needs to be arrested/cited.

stay safe.

In this instance its unlikely any charges would be filed since it was very brief. The only law I can really think of would be disturbing the peace if he continued to cause a scene after police arrived but from experience I can tell you most likely police will shoo him away and in most cases the offender would grumble a little but would not want to unseat some cash or jail time so most will leave.

You did absolutely right by just not entertaining the uneducated.

Jayne&Vera

Laws

I'm a little vague on the fine line for things like harassment or stalking, but assault (verbal) or battery (physical) seams pretty clear-cut to me. I don't think you could talk the DA into charging anyone on anything else, and really why would you want to?
just make sure you're using a good retention holster in case you meet a nut job with less self control than usual, and carry a pen cam. The image quality ain't the best but it's good enough for court and just might save your hide.

The other posters are right about him actually drawing good attention because it shows the public that the idiots are unreasonable and you're just a normal good citizen.. Heck, I overheard part of a discussion in a restaurant this week when a guy was complaining to his wife about me bringing guns in and she basically told him to shut up.

Glock 1st fan

I'm a little vague on the fine line for things like harassment or stalking, but assault (verbal) or battery (physical) seams pretty clear-cut to me. I don't think you could talk the DA into charging anyone on anything else, and really why would you want to?
just make sure you're using a good retention holster in case you meet a nut job with less self control than usual, and carry a pen cam. The image quality ain't the best but it's good enough for court and just might save your hide.

The other posters are right about him actually drawing good attention because it shows the public that the idiots are unreasonable and you're just a normal good citizen.. Heck, I overheard part of a discussion in a restaurant this week when a guy was complaining to his wife about me bringing guns in and she basically told him to shut up.

Believe it or not Ive had people complain about me wearing a uniform and carrying a firearm. Stupid people come in all forms, shapes and sizes

davidmcbeth

Banned
Its called defamation...if any applies. Ask them for their name and address where to send the complaint to...they'll shut up.

OC Freedom

I find that people with bad manners who rant against RKBA in public do more to help our cause than they might ever imagine. The target (pun intended) audience just isn't drinking the Kool-Aid anymore.

I tend to smile and laugh at them while continuing with what I was doing - frustrates them in no small way :D

As to the legal question, unless there is actually a physical threat, I don't know of any law that would apply. The property owner can ask the offender to leave of course - disturbing the peace might be a consideration.

+1 and also I never involve LEO's if it can be helped. Remember the slogan of "protect and to serve" is really "harass and arrest".

Firearms Iinstuctor

I prefer to let the other person make a fool of them selves.

If the other person carries on long and loud enough they could be charged with DC.

Even better if you record their foolishness.

Same for hunter harassment we had a gal that live next to a large track of public land every time we would be parked at the access she would come out rant a rave and get very DC,

A short video of her getting in our faces resulted in her being charged. She eventually sold her place and left not to long after.

Just going about your business as in the OP post works a lot of the time.

Last edited:

OC Freedom

That paints with too broad a brush - we don't do that here.

No offense was intended Grapeshot.

I have many personal relationships currently and in my past with LEO's which has removed my rose colored glasses long ago. My statement was just my opinion based on interaction, experience, and friendships that I have with police officers and deputy sheriffs.

HPmatt

Was he visiting OK from Texas? Can't OC here yet. Maybe he was jealous.

Or p'haps you were wearing an OU or OSU t-shirt - that would make a Texan mad too.
Like waving a red cape in front of a bull....

S/O I would do as you did - ignore but keep an eye on. Let him make a fool of himself.
I like the idea of smiling at him, with perhaps shaking your head from side-to-side like you know the guy is off his rocker.

Maverick9

The worst you can do is to talk to them. Just keep quiet go about your business. In fact you can get in your car and drive away.

I'd consider getting out my cellphone and either film them or pretend to do that. It usually shuts people up when they know they are on camera acting out.

Do not get close to them. If they start getting close to you, leave, or say "I'm calling 911 now, what's your name?".

Good luck and hope that never happens to people.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I find that people with bad manners who rant against RKBA in public do more to help our cause than they might ever imagine. .

This is very much Truth.

Recently, the Whatcom County Chapter of Washington Open Carry attended the annual Pride festival, here in Bellingham, the City of Subdued Excitement. We had an info booth and we were doing brisk business. A surly gentleman kept moving around us taking pictures. He then went to the event coordinators and complained about our armed presence. He even had expurgated copies of an ordinance prohibiting OC at "music festivals". He carried copies to each other vendor in hopes of garnering support, but got none. He called 911, the Chief and Deputy Chief showed up, stopped by and said, :Nothing to see here, let's move along." and then they left.

The gentleman was correct about the ordinance, but left out(by mistake of course) the fact that it has to be in excess of two thousand People, and we were well below that number. Also, the "fest" must be five hours or more.

The Event managers asked the gentleman to leave after numerous complaints. They also modified their rules to limit the event to for hours in order to "Keep any of us from not bringing our guns." I thought they had a great attitude.

Last edited: