• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Time to let VCU know

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Virginia Commonwealth University’s Police Department is seeking public comment as part of an assessment for accreditation by the International Association of Campus Law Enforcement Administrators. A team from the association will examine all aspects of the department’s policies and procedures, management, operations and support services as part of the voluntary process. University members, agency employees and the public may offer comments by calling (804) 828-6722 on July 21 from 1 to 3 p.m. The association’s assessment team will document comments.
Times-Dispatch

There are a enough people here that have stories about abuses by VCU cops to put a crimp in their accreditation.

My first comment will be the time the VCU cop told Grapeshot and I that it was private property and I couldn't video....at the same event where VCDL and the Chief were trying to calm the public over robberies....then the many threats to arrest people walking past MCV smoking....and the heavy handed harassment of OC'ers in Monroe Park.

Last edited by a moderator:

OC for ME

Thuggery must be exposed at every opportunity. Submit recording and let the chips fall where they may.

VCU Cop Shop: "Those were isolated incidents and not indicative of VCU Cop SHop. We addressed those transgressions and instituted corrective measures and policy changes to mitigate any future misunderstandings."

VCU Cop Shop: "...what's that? Are those thugs still on the payroll? Well, yeah! We don't toss our own under the bus."

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
A two-hour window to submit telephone message comments? To one phone number? (How much do you want to bet it is not going to have the capacity to record more than one phone call at a time?)

(Or that some VCU cop will try to get his sainted grandmother to call in and prattle on for the full 2 hours?)

That's what The International Association of Campus Law Enforcement Administrators considers public input? You can be sure that I will be contacting them (cc: VCU Campus Police & the Secretary of Public Safety) regarding that - and it will not be favorable.

stay safe.

IanB

And... thread locked for "cop bashing" (OCDO definition: anything that is not cop worshipping is "bashing") in 3... 2... 1...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
And... thread locked for "cop bashing" (OCDO definition: anything that is not cop worshipping is "bashing") in 3... 2... 1...
Not so - bashing is a catagorized, broad brush approach.

When there are known, specific problems with a department or particular LEO, airing those complaints is definitely legitimate and not bashing.

The VCU/MCV police department has had and still does have problems. From what I can see, they are not being addressed.

Last edited:

TFred

Are we so sure that such comments will not in fact assist with their accreditation? Seems it may be worthwhile to look into the nature of who's doing the accrediting.

(A somewhat cynical) TFred

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Are we so sure that such comments will not in fact assist with their accreditation? Seems it may be worthwhile to look into the nature of who's doing the accrediting.

(A somewhat cynical) TFred

Their page on accredidation http://www.iaclea.org/visitors/professionaldevelopment/accreditation/index.cfm Have to look for it, but they do publish their accredidation standards at http://www.iaclea.org/visitors/professionaldevelopment/accreditation/standardsindex.cfm which then takes you to their Standards Manual http://www.iaclea.org/visitors/PDFs/IAStandardsManual.pdf

It does seem VCU Police have a lock on Standard 1.1.2 :uhoh:

I have some heartburn about the last clause of Standards 2.1.1 and 2/1.2 Anybody want to guess why?

The articl;e they link to about the benefits of accredidation. http://www.nacubo.org/Business_Officer_Magazine/Magazine_Archives/May_2014/Safety_Certified.html

Here are the list of benefits:
PROCESS PROMOTES POSITIVES

Colleges and universities that have achieved accreditation of their safety and security departments find that other related benefits accrue, including:
Easier recruitment of officers.
Higher rate of worker retention.
Improved department morale.
Increased credibility.
Enhanced operations.
Department stability.
Reduced liability litigation.
Elevated reputation.
(emphasis added)

stay safe.

OC for ME

PROCESS PROMOTES POSITIVES

Colleges and universities that have achieved accreditation of their safety and security departments find that other related benefits accrue, including:
Easier recruitment of officers.
Higher rate of worker retention.
Improved department morale.
Increased credibility.
Enhanced operations.
Department stability.
Reduced liability litigation.
Elevated reputation.
Increased credibility...yeah, right. :rolleyes:

Elevated reputation? Elevated to what? These folks must think that all cop shops are 100% defect free.

Xifex

Virginia Commonwealth University’s Police Department is seeking public comment as part of an assessment for accreditation by the International Association of Campus Law Enforcement Administrators. A team from the association will examine all aspects of the department’s policies and procedures, management, operations and support services as part of the voluntary process. University members, agency employees and the public may offer comments by calling (804) 828-6722 on July 21 from 1 to 3 p.m. The association’s assessment team will document comments.
Times-Dispatch

There are a enough people here that have stories about abuses by VCU cops to put a crimp in their accreditation.

My first comment will be the time the VCU cop told Grapeshot and I that it was private property and I couldn't video....at the same event where VCDL and the Chief were trying to calm the public over robberies....then the many threats to arrest people walking past MCV smoking....and the heavy handed harassment of OC'ers in Monroe Park.

I've had friends open carry long guns and hand guns down broad street in front of VCU. Nothing happened.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I've had friends open carry long guns and hand guns down broad street in front of VCU. Nothing happened.
We have a saying here = Pictures or it didn't happen. That is not intended to question one's veracity, but rather to allow us to confirm.

The preference would be pictures w/VCU officers in the frame.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

What part of Broad Street? What time of day?

There is darned little of VCU along Broad Street when you compare it to between Grace to Cary Streets from Belevdere to Lombardy.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
What part of Broad Street? What time of day?

There is darned little of VCU along Broad Street when you compare it to between Grace to Cary Streets from Belevdere to Lombardy.

stay safe.
Additionally, VCU has no authority to restrict carry on the sidewalks along municipal streets. These sidewalks are technically off campus.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Additionally, VCU has no authority to restrict carry on the sidewalks along municipal streets. These sidewalks are technically off campus.

VCU Police have concurrent jurisdiction with RPD on the sidewalks, and at times have held the belief that their property line extends to the curb. I have found that to be the case moreso with the commercial properties they own than with the clearly educational facilities.

It's not just about whether or not they have jurisdiction. It's about how they behave, including whether or not their employees know the laws and whether or not they abuse people in spite of what te law says. That old saw about beating the charge but not beating the ride always comes out right about at this juncture.

BTW - only seven (7) more days till the two-hour phone-in comment period. Mark your calendars and set your alarm clocks!

stay safe.

Xifex

We have a saying here = Pictures or it didn't happen. That is not intended to question one's veracity, but rather to allow us to confirm.

The preference would be pictures w/VCU officers in the frame.

No problem if i can get any photos they had from that stroll around town I will post them. One of them did get hassled before by a VCU officer on a seperate occasion though I'm unsure of the details.

It is easy to make up things online but just like any report having documented evidence makes ones story allot more believable.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
MONDAY's COMING - set your calenars and alarm clocks!

calling (804) 828-6722 on July 21 from 1 to 3 p.m.

That's this coming Monday afternoon, in case anybody forgot to check the calendar.

TWO WHOLE HOURS to phone in comments.

I've put the number on speed dial so that when I get a busy signal I can jump right back in the que.

I'm also writing/editing/practicing my comment so that I don't "umm" and "like" and "you know" my time away.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
BTT - a little less than 48 hours before the rodeo begins.

stay safe.

That's this coming Monday afternoon, in case anybody forgot to check the calendar.

TWO WHOLE HOURS to phone in comments.

I've put the number on speed dial so that when I get a busy signal I can jump right back in the que.

I'm also writing/editing/practicing my comment so that I don't "umm" and "like" and "you know" my time away.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Well, that went really well - not!

Waited till 1:01 PM just to make sure I did not jump the starting gun. Busy signal. Hit "end call" and then "redial". Busy signal. Lather, rinse, repeat.

OK, there was that short interruption where I visited the little persons' room. [Wouldn't want to be accused of being sexist.]

Start over. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I started an email comment to VCU Police and the International Association of Campus Law Enforcement Administrators. I've put it aside for a while till I calm down and can ensure that the entire content will be socially appropriate.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Could not get through........actually busy (1 line?) or phone simply off the hook? :mad:

Why am I not surprised?

Last edited: