• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What are the Petersburg police thinking?

Baked on Grease

Ha! Easy lawsuit just from that 12 seconds.

I agree, it seems that their department has too much money if they are so eager to violate a citizen's Right.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I've been thinking for a long time it was time for a new orginization or alliance to pick up where VCDL and other groups stop. If there is corporate funding to pad membership dues, there isn't any shortage of lawsuits to choose from.

davidmcbeth

Banned

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Repeater

Important pull-quote:
"When you start having a pattern of encounters like this, regardless of who's right or wrong, just the pattern and the questions that are raised erodes the public confidence in the police and public trust in the police," Steven Benjamin said. He's a prominent defense attorney and also NBC12's legal analyst.

"Let's be real clear. You have the absolute right to stand on your front porch and record what's going on in your front yard," Benjamin said.

He has no inside knowledge of the cases and doesn't know what information police had. He can only see what you do, what's on the videos. He says what he does see raises some red flags.

"Because an officer decided to prohibit what was the video recording being made on the porch, you then had the police creating a separate encounter that very quickly got out of control, putting the other officers at risk," he said.

He also questions the use of the choke hold.

"It's a dangerous procedure and it's very far along that continuum of force, that gradual increase of force that officers are allowed to use to protect themselves. It can be very dangerous to hold a person in place like that," Benjamin said. What's captured on video suggests, "That there is a need for training, additional training, perhaps a different approach to their policing and perhaps some discipline."

You have an absolute right NOT to be subjected to a Choke Hold merely for recording the truth.

Repeater

Carlos Miller is letting everyone know

Wonderful Carlos Miller is letting everyone know about this incident via his web site.

Now, having said that, I watched the following incident from Oregon. Imagine being banned from a public library for a YEAR for exercising your First amendment rights. Watch and see; what do you think of the female bully cop? Babe or b.i.t.c.h.?

Oregon Man Banned from Library for Year for Recording Cops Harassing Homeless Man (Updated)

Update is: the ban is hereby rescinded: "The library has apologized to this patron for the way in which the situation was handled."

Say, how about an apology from Petersburg?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Wonderful Carlos Miller is letting everyone know about this incident via his web site.

Now, having said that, I watched the following incident from Oregon. Imagine being banned from a public library for a YEAR for exercising your First amendment rights. Watch and see; what do you think of the female bully cop? Babe or b.i.t.c.h.?

Oregon Man Banned from Library for Year for Recording Cops Harassing Homeless Man (Updated)

Update is: the ban is hereby rescinded: "The library has apologized to this patron for the way in which the situation was handled."

Say, how about an apology from Petersburg?
Because you thirst, you think they will offer you a drink?